Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OneKnight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 11:36 PM
    Pregnant alcohol
    My wife and I recently found out she's pregnant (just over a month). About two weeks ago we had a lot of wine with friends and my wife was very drunk. Now she is worried that it may affect the foetus. Any words of wisdom? All thoughts appreciated!
    mnaznguy Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Dec 5, 2006, 01:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OneKnight
    My wife and I recently found out she's pregnant (just over a month). About two weeks ago we had a lot of wine with friends and my wife was very drunk. Now she is worried that it may affect the foetus. Any words of wisdom? All thoughts appreciated!
    I'm not a doctor by any means, but it really varies with each individual. I know of girls who smoke and drank the whole time they were pregnant, and their child was still born healthy, at least the doctors did not have any concerns.
    minaa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 02:04 PM
    When I had my first child I was in the same situation. I told my doctor and she said as long as I quit drinking since there should be no problems. And there weren't, I delivered a healthy baby boy 3 1/2 years ago. I suggest you talk with your doctor so he/she can give you the best advise.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2006, 07:05 AM
    I was at the beach ridding a jet ski, lounging in the Jacuzzi, and a bit buzzed (the whole week of my vacation) the day before I found out I was pregnant with my first child. She is now 6 years old, happy and healthy...
    Kae
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2006, 07:12 AM
    No, in this situation the baby should be born perfectly healthy. The risk typically comes in drinking during the enitre pregnancy.

There is still research being done on the effects of alcohol and pregnancy. However, many physicians will say that a glass of wine once in a while is not harmful.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Dec 8, 2006, 07:38 AM
    I don't think it would do much harm so early in the pregnancy, and only once... Of course always consult a physician... but I wouldn't worry about it.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 09:57 AM
    ill agree with the above posts.

it happens. My wife had a few drinks early on before she knew she was pregnant. No problems, usless you can attribute a naughty, charismatic, energetic boy to cabernet. =)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 8, 2006, 10:29 AM
    I would like to emphasize that tests are still inconclusive about how much is too much which is why it is advised by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) that pregnant women not drink at all. In a nutshell, there are now regonised two levels of damage-- Fetal Alcohol Effects and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, with the latter being more chronic and long term. While they have only begun to map which women under what conditions who use appear to produce children who are affected, it is still a fact that when the mother drinks, so does the child, everytime she does. Given that, I think the worry level for you two should be very very very low for this one incident (practically non existent, in other words) but I would not use that as a way to make it okay to drink while pregnant. It would be wise though to express your concerns to the OB, like Minaa suggested.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 12:09 PM
    I agree... I'm not particularly comfortable with the alcohol when pregnant. Idea, regardless of whether an MD says its OK... it'll take a JAMA/lancet/NEJM series before I lose my fear there...

of course, maybe I'm punchy about the preg/drinking thing because of my wife. She made me promise to not drink while whe was pregnant and then while she was nursing... a "share in her pain" thing... =) man... I don't drink a lot, but a glass of red after a day of tending to the "leaky bag" (my term for babies, they just leak everywhere, all the time) was sounding really good. Really.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcohol in cigarettes [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any alcohol in cigarettes?

Alcohol: 70% or 99%? [ 1 Answers ]

For cleaning keyboards, door knobs/handles, table tops, etc. Which is better, the 70% or the 99%?

Over service of Alcohol [ 4 Answers ]

I know that a bartender and the premises is liable for service of an alcoholic beverage to an obviously intoxicated person. (Califonia) But what about if a bartender serves someone 10 shots of tequila and 5 beers in the time span of 1 hour. And, duing that hour, the patron did not show symptoms...

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

View more questions Search