Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar View Post
    I don't have the time today to mention all scriptures but singling this one out, John 10:30 - the comment Jesus makes "I and the Father are one" could lead some to think he meant "I and the Father are the same person" but if you look at John 17:21 Jesus prayed for his followers "That they all be one" then in vs 22 added "that they may be one even as we are one." He used the same Greek word (hen) for "one" in all these verses. Jesus disciples did not all become part of the trinity but rather a oneness in unity and purpose as are Jesus and his Father.
    Cop-out. I specifically noted that the Jews accused Jesus of making himself God, and he didn't correct them. He also didn't correct Thomas when he called him "my God." The meaning of John 10:30 doesn't hinge on the word "one," which, just like the English word, can be used in myriad ways. It hinges on the context, and the context in both cases is clear.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 11:04 PM

Moparbyfar,
    Very well said.
    I pray that we all become one with God both here abd here after.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I Newton Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Apr 28, 2010, 01:54 AM

>” the context in both cases is clear.”<
    Mmm, so clear no Christian can understand it.

>” I specifically noted that the Jews accused Jesus of making himself God”<
    Mmm, and you are happy to make the same mistake.

Did you ever wonder if it were wise to follow in the footsteps of the jews accusing Jesus of anything?

Not a very convincing argument to try and prove a teaching that is not in the Bible.

And Jesus had no need to correct Thomas, no one said Jesus is not a god. But the Bible does not say Jesus is God the son.
    The Bible does not say Jesus is the Father.
    The Bible does not say Jesus is the only true God.
    The Bible does not say Jesus is greater than God.
    The Bible does not say God can do nothing without Jesus.
    The Bible does not say Jesus sent God.
    The Bible does not say God obeys Jesus.
    The Bible does not say God learned obedience.
    The Bible does not say God is in subjection to Jesus.
    The Bible does not say etc etc etc.

The Bible does mention the Father the son and the holy spirit; does the Bible mention Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? Is this proof that they are now the same person?

The Bible has many sentences and out of the thousands of pages of writings, there are maybe a dozen passages that could be suggested to support such a silly idea.

You say it yourself, ‘the word “one” can be used in a myriad of ways’ and you prefer to use it as ‘proof’ that Jesus is in fact his own father.

>” I love this community where people come from different denominations and share their understanding on a topic”<
    Ah, that is the difference.

This is a Catholic site and others may post their opinion as long as it does not stray too far from Catholicism or pose questions that Catholics cannot possibly answer.
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Apr 28, 2010, 06:28 AM
    [QUOTE/]...

This is a Catholic site and others may post their opinion as long as it does not stray too far from Catholicism or pose questions that Catholics cannot possibly answer.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ from you on the ownership of this site.

This is for all the members of this site - If this is true that this site is for Catholics, then I apologies for not reading the fine print before joining this forum. Whereas iI always took this site as a platform where all brothers and sisters in Christ could come and support and help fellow-beings to grow in Christ. Never ever thought of being a Catholic or Protestant, being a Methodist or a Baptist flashe d across my mind. I always thought that people come to this platform after crossing over the boundaries of denominations. Please make me clear if this site has its foundation on denominations. God be with you all.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    [QUOTE/].....

If this is true that this site is for Catholics, then I apologies for not reading the fine print before joining this forum. Whereas iI always took this site as a platform where all brothers and sisters in Christ could come and support and help fellow-beings to grow in Christ.
    And I missed the fine print where it said this site is a "platform where all brothers and sisters in Christ could come and support and help their fellow-beings to grow in Christ".

This site is not a place to proselytize, it is a Q&A site that has no religious test in order to ask or reply to questions.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I Newton View Post
    >” the context in both cases is clear.”<
    Mmm, so clear no Christian can understand it.

>” I specifically noted that the Jews accused Jesus of making himself God”<
    Mmm, and you are happy to make the same mistake.

Did you ever wonder if it were wise to follow in the footsteps of the jews accusing Jesus of anything?
    Since you decline to address the rest of my comment, I won't bother repeating it. Most everyone should be able to see that you're dodging the real issue in that passage, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Not a very convincing argument to try and prove a teaching that is not in the Bible.
    Circular reasoning. Whether it's in the Bible or not is the question.

And Jesus had no need to correct Thomas, no one said Jesus is not a god.
    I have no idea what "a god" means. How many gods do you have? The Bible says there's one, and he exists in a triune form.

But the Bible does not say Jesus is God the son.
    The Bible does not say Jesus is the Father.
    The Bible does not say Jesus is the only true God.
    The Bible does not say Jesus is greater than God.
    The Bible does not say God can do nothing without Jesus.
    The Bible does not say Jesus sent God.
    The Bible does not say God obeys Jesus.
    The Bible does not say God learned obedience.
    The Bible does not say God is in subjection to Jesus.
    The Bible does not say etc etc etc.
    More cop-outs. Nobody has ever claimed any of this. Nobody has ever claimed there isn't order within the trinity, that each of the persons of the trinity doesn't have different functions. But that's very different than saying they're three distinct beings. Again I have to ask how many gods you have. If you have more than one, you can't claim to be a Christian.

The Bible does mention the Father the son and the holy spirit; does the Bible mention Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? Is this proof that they are now the same person?
    Wow. That's desperation to the nth degree. This is so far beyond lame I can't even come up with a word for it, and I know 9 languages.

The Bible has many sentences and out of the thousands of pages of writings, there are maybe a dozen passages that could be suggested to support such a silly idea.
    I stand corrected. This is even more lame. "there are maybe a dozen passages" that mention a lot of things. Exactly how desperate are you?

You say it yourself, ‘the word “one” can be used in a myriad of ways’ and you prefer to use it as ‘proof’ that Jesus is in fact his own father.
    Once again, you're dodging what I actually wrote. Until you address it all, we have nothing to talk about. And the idea that I somehow am trying to say "Jesus is in fact his own father" is such a gross misrepresentation I won't even bother. It just shows how weak your arguments are that you have to resort to such twisting of people's words, even when you know it's false twisting.

>” I love this community where people come from different denominations and share their understanding on a topic”<
    Ah, that is the difference.

This is a Catholic site and others may post their opinion as long as it does not stray too far from Catholicism or pose questions that Catholics cannot possibly answer.
    Oh, this is too much. Hey, WG, Classyt, Joe, and all the rest of you folks, did you know we're actually Catholics?? So now the desperation descends into sniping, name-calling and guilt by apparent association. I think we're done here.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Apr 28, 2010, 08:37 PM

This is definitely not a Catholic site although some of the mods are, leading some to assume that their opinions may be overlooked or "over ruled" but generally speaking no matter what denomination we are, we all have a say. Respect SHOULD go a long way here guys.
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Apr 29, 2010, 03:31 PM

Revelation 19:13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
    John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.
    The name of the Son of God is the Word and He was in the beginning with God and He was God.
    In the beginning was the Son of God and the Son of God was with God and the Son of God was God. Don't make it complicated because it is not. God's Son could not be anything less than God Himself because God said that everything reproduces to its own kind and that is good.So if a human being gives birth to another human being and a cat gives birth to another cat, then God gives birth to another God.
    Do we then have two Gods?Absolutely not because it is written about two persons
    Genesis 2:24...and they shall become one flesh. although being two different persons.It is not the number of personalities that matters but the unification of our will that makes us one.
    After all the word used in Hebrew for one is echad which means a united one.
    There is no Triune God as many today believe. There is only one true God who sometime before time was created gave birth to another being, His Son the Word and God's Son cannot be anything less than God Himself. No, the Son is not the Father and the Father is not the Son.This is why He gave us families so that we could understand how He acts.Am I my son?No I am not although we are both human beings, but I gave birth to him and that makes me greater than him because he came out of me and he obeys me.
    The devil know the connection between the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit and that's why he always uses three different evil personalities even to the very end as written in Revelation.
    This is the statement of the Greek Orthodox faith which I find very accurate...
    I Believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, And of all things visible and invisible :

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, Begotten of the Father before all centuries, Light out of Light, Very God out of Very God, Begotten, non made, Being of one substance with the Father, By whom all things were made : Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and the Virgin Mary, And was made man, And was crusified also for us under Pontius Pilate.

He suffered and was buried, And the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, And ascended into heaven, And sitteth on the right hand of the father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the living and the dead : Whose kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Ghost, The Lord and giver of life, Who proceedeth from the Father, Who spoke by the Prophets.

And in one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I acknowledge one Baprtism for the remission of sins. And I look for the Resurrection of the dead, And the life of the world to come. Amen.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 03:53 PM

adam7gur,
    Yes very good the word of God is eternal just like the Father and Holy Spirit.
    Peace and kindness.
    Fred
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post

Oh, this is too much. Hey, WG, Classyt, Joe, and all the rest of you folks, did you know we're actually Catholics????????? So now the desperation descends into sniping, name-calling and guilt by apparent association. I think we're done here.
    Didn't I tell you I was a closet Catholic?. My bad guys. (grumpy JoeT and Fred... don't leave the faith just yet.. I was only kidding.) I'm still the pretrib rapture believer, dispensationalist, fundementalist I've always been... :D) I have just learned to respect ALL those who own the name of the LORD Jesus Christ as their Savior and GOD.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 07:16 PM

The trouble "I Newton" has is he is anti catholic, does not view them as Christians and does most of his posts with Anti catholic themes if not outright hatred toward them.

This is not allowed as it would against Methodist, Lutherans, Mormons or anyone else that has equal rights to their faith on our boards.

He has not learned to discuss issues without name calling or avoiding the issues.

He has been officially warned and wants to attack rather than follow the rules.

He can not attack Catholics on this the Christian board any more than a person can attack Muslims on the Islamic board.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    I'm still the pretrib rapture believer, dispensationalist, fundementalist I've always been....
    And I'm the liberal former evangelical Missouri-Synod Lutheran preacher's kid/school teacher who wasn't allowed to date any of the cute Catholic boys in high school and who is still trying to figure out what the Catholics believe and why.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar View Post
    This is definitely not a Catholic site although some of the mods are
    Not to worry. I'm keeping my Protestant eye on them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 09:16 PM

classyT,
    In this case we are in the same class.
    That is...
    A friend of Jesus is a friend of mine.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 09:40 PM
    Adam,

Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    [snip]
    There is no Triune God as many today believe. There is only one true God who sometime before time was created gave birth to another being, His Son the Word and God's Son cannot be anything less than God Himself.
    I don't think I've ever heard this idea before; to the best of my knowledge the common belief has always been that the one God, in three persons, is eternal in his triune nature. I'm not familiar with the proposition that the Father gave birth to the Son in this manner. Can you expand on your comments a little? This is interesting.

[snip]
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
    dwashbur,
    I believe that several denominations do not believe in the Trinity.
    I'll wait until adam7gur answers to see what he has to say.
    Of the 30,000 different denominations you can imagine what so of the belief might be.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    dwashbur,
    I believe that several denominations do not believe in the Trinity.
    I'll wait until adam7gur answers to see what he has to say.
    Of the 30,000 different denominations you can imagine what so of the belief might be.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I'm aware that some denominations don't. What I haven't heard before is the suggestion that the Father gave birth to the Son.

Apr 29, 2010, 11:41 PM
    Adam,

I don't think I've ever heard this idea before; to the best of my knowledge the common belief has always been that the one God, in three persons, is eternal in his triune nature. I'm not familiar with the proposition that the Father gave birth to the Son in this manner. Can you expand on your comments a little? This is interesting.

[snip]
    Let me ask this! When was the Son of God born? No doubt God has a Son and if He has a Son then at some point the Son was born somehow. When was that?
    It is written that the name of the Son is the Word and it is written that in the beginning was the Word, so what is this beginning? It is simply the beginning of everything and in that beginning was the Word, so God's Son was born before the beginning of everything as it is written that everything was made by the Word and for the Word and nothing that is made is made without the Word. So God's Son, the Word was born before time was created because the Word created time and that makes the Word, God's only begotten,out of time, eternal.
    I do not agree with the concept of all persons coexisting.I believe that there was a time before time when God was all alone when there was nothing else but Him.He was alone and silent, this source of Life was alone and silent and at one point He spoke, His voice was heard and the Word was born. Why did God name His Son the Word? Why not something else like the Power? Because His Son is the actual manifestation of God speaking.Imagine this never ending source of Life exploding from within and sparkling Life through His Word. He spoke and His Son,the Word was born.
    This explains why the Son says that the Father is greater than Him and this is not a statement that comes out of respect, this is the actual truth. The Son could never be without the Father, but the Father was before the Son.
    Even in nature a son comes after the father even though the son is being kept in the father's bosom through his sperm that gives life.

Apr 29, 2010, 11:58 PM
    I'm aware that some denominations don't. What I haven't heard before is the suggestion that the Father gave birth to the Son.
    What is the one thing that makes someone a father or a son if not the fact that the first gave birth to the second?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    What is the one thing that makes someone a father or a son if not the fact that the first gave birth to the second?
    Did your father give birth to you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Science Vs. Religion (GOD) continued: GOD created man in his own image. [ 145 Answers ]

K, so we can argue till the cows come home, about this but there is a lot of good feed back from the last one I had, I like to hear others ideas. I"m going to simplify this one though, to avoid loosing the topic. Lets go with the idea that some scientific professionals believe that...

Do you believe in the Trinity? Why or why not? [ 43 Answers ]

Please provide your evidence for or against the doctrine of the Trinity.

Trinity [ 28 Answers ]

How do you define the Trinity?

View more questions Search