Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eugene10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Recirculating Pump Installation
    What is the proper and UBC method of installing a recirculating pump? A plumber submitted an estimate of $400 to correct what he called an improper existing installation. Currently the return line from the recirculating pump is plumbed into the cold water intake line at the top of the hot water heater. He says this is not up to code and that the return line should be plumbed into the drain at the bottom of the heater so that the return water enters at the bottom of the tank. This does not sound right to me.

Thank you for your help. ---:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2006, 04:20 PM
    It's been done both ways. The idea is to get the returned water back in the bottom of the heater so it can get heated again and raise to the top to be recirculated again. Now the return line may be brought back in through the boiler drain OR the cold water intake. What your plumber failed to tell you is that the water coming into the tank through the cold water line is directed to the bottom of the heater through a plastic pipe called a dip tube. So the return water gets back to the bottom no matter where you tie the return line. I've hooked them up both ways with no complaints. Is yours working? Do you get hot water where you want to get it? If the answer's yes, I rest my case.
    . Regards, Tom
    Apachie58PU Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eugene10 View Post
    What is the proper and UBC method of installing a recirculating pump? A plumber submitted an estimate of $400 to correct what he called an improper existing installation. Currently the return line from the recirculating pump is plumbed into the cold water intake line at the top of the hot water heater. He says this is not up to code and that the return line should be plumbed into the drain at the bottom of the heater so that the return water enters at the bottom of the tank. This does not sound right to me.

Thank you for your help. ---:confused:
    Sounds like BS to me also. The fill valve should be on the return line, otherwise adding cold water to the hot side of the boiler will cause Hammering and possibly crack the boiler. Sound like he gets paid by the jobs he can sell. If it has been working don't mess with it and get another heating man Semper Fi Paul
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 01:01 PM

While I agree its BS this is a water heater and not a boiler so no cracking here. While it may have be done both ways you existing setup is up to code, so I am not so sure you should use this gy for any work. He;'d probably sell you muffler bearings for your car too.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 01:59 PM
    It is up to Code in my area. Actually, it is better when return line connects on top of the heater, into cold water supply. That way, your heater is supplied with pre-heated water.

Make sure you have 2 check valves installed: one on the return line, the other one on cold water pipe going to the heater.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water recirculating pump [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy again, The hot water takes a long time to heat up due to the length of run from the water heater. So... Would installing a recirculating pump be a good idea? I have seen a type which connects the hot and cold and pushed the water from the hot side to the cold until it gets warm...

Hot water recirculating pumps do work, but [ 2 Answers ]

I can attest that the installation of a hot water recirculating pump (and sensor valve) does work. Hot water very quickly for the morning shower, really! However,. The 'however' is that I find that while the pump is on (in the AM for ~1-1.5 hr.), the hot water and cold water mixing in the...

Installation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, How can I install a OS if my CD ROM is not functioning.

View more questions Search