Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Apr 20, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Crate Training for the Working Person
    I have an 8 week old Rough Coat Collie (Lassie dog). My husband and I both work full time so we are trying to crate train her. We have tried several different things and nothing seems to work. We have kept her in our bedroom and that didn't work, put her beside our bed, that didn't work I think because our bed is really high. Given her praise and treats while putting her in her crate and now we are to the point of putting her in another room because we just need some sleep. What other options should I try and usually how long does crate training take?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 11:33 AM

How long/often do you have her in the crate for?

Is it all night and then all day while you are at work?

You probably aren't going to like my suggestion but you might want to try sleeping on a mattress on the floor next to the crate for a night or two. I find this settles down even the whingiest of dogs.

You have to remember that you puppy has gone from being surrounded by brothers, sisters and its mother to being thrown into a home where it doesn't know anyone and is being kept alone in a crate.

It's a scary time for them and it can take a while to adjust.

Apr 20, 2010, 12:06 PM

She is in her crate from 10:00 pm - 5:30 am and then from 7:30 am - 12:10 pm, and then from 12:44 pm to 4:30 pm.

She has made an accident only 2 times while in her crate. She has been doing really well on the potty training point of view. I will try the "sleeping on her level and see what happens.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2010, 07:00 PM

That poor baby is in a crate for more than 12 hours a day :( :( :(

I don't want to finger point,I don't want to lecture.. and you'll probably hate what I have to say.

But...

You obvious don't have time for a puppy. Babies cannot be left in a crate for 12+ hours a day. That puppy sleeps, eats and spends its day in the crate. How would you feel if you had to sit in a room with little to no entertainment? You'd get restless, go crazy and complain every bit if you had to continue to stay in the small room.

Find other alternatives besides leaving the dog home alone for 8 hours a day (and no, coming home for lunch does not count as spending time with the dog). Look into doggy daycares. Ask neighbors to watch the dog.. Worse case scenario, give the dog up to someone who has the time for a puppy. An adult dog may do OK in your situation. There are a lot of house trained dogs in shelters and rescue that need good homes.

You're creating separation anxiety. This puppy needs to be around people, not locked up all day. I know you work, but you should have put more thought into purchasing this puppy.

Do you leave small children in a room all by themselves? Or do you find a baby sitter? This pup is no different.

You're not going to like the results of this situation. Your dog is going to become needy and dispise the crate completely!

Please don't turn this pup into a box baby. Dogs are not created to be by themselves, especially small puppies. Right now is crucial!

Please make the right choice for the DOG... do not base any decision on you wanting to have a puppy, you obviously don't have time for an 8 week old puppy.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 02:10 AM
    Plucky, I'm afraid I'm going to have to enter the discussion on Lucky's side. Collies as a breed tend to be fairly needy regardless of their upbringing and this puppy's schedule sounds like it will grow up to be neurotically so.

I'm certain she's absolutely adorable, all 8 week old puppies are, but please consider getting an older dog that will enjoy a crate and a dry house, like a shelter dog that was caught outdoors.

Apr 23, 2010, 06:18 AM

I can understand that that is a long time in a crate, but they do have to potty train some how. Once I can trust her to not tear up anything then I will let her stay out of her crate. Unless you are a collie breed expert then I don't think you really know. I even spoke with a vet that said that is fine with the way I am handling it. The collie breed is a very intelligent breed and once a routine is in place they will go dormant during the day while I am at work. Straight from the mouth of a vet.

I know I am not the only person who works and has a puppy to potty train and crate train, so I really don't appreciate the lecturing. I asked a question, so either stick to the question or don't respond.

My family and I are very active and give the puppy plenty of attention and exercise when we are home. I researched this breed for several months before I purchased her and found that the collie was the perfect breed for our situation. And raising from a puppy was best for our situation because we have a young daughter and want to raise them together instead of going to a shelter and adopting an older dog with behavioral issues. Plus I know several people with collies and went over these issues before hand as well, so no I am not misinformed about the breed.

And yes coming home for my lunch does help, another thing straight from the mouth of a vet and several owners I know who have collies.

And just an update on how the crate training has been going, it has actually been going great. I took off one day to work with her and now she is sleeping through the night with no accidents or whining. And enjoys her crate very much, when she doesn't want to play anymore and wants to take a nap she goes right into her crate and lays down. She has no anxiety issues, she doesn't cry when I put her in her crate. And when she is not in her crate she is not clingy and stir crazy she acts just like a normal happy puppy.
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pluckyflamingo View Post
    . I asked a question, so either stick to the question or don't respond.
    What makes you think we aren't responding to the question? We're just giving you answers you don't want to hear.

As for "Expert" status, I've already got two forums to moderate, putting up with people who want a dog only when they want it isn't my cup of tea.

Apr 23, 2010, 06:46 AM

I have no problem with her now she is doing well with crate training. Answering a question only takes a few sentences not a few paragraph lecture into why I jumped the gun, which I didn't. I do plan on putting her in doggy daycare which I have had planned before I even purchased my dog however, she is not old enough yet. She can go through the behavioral exam for admissions once she receives her next round of shots which is in 2 weeks.

Apr 23, 2010, 06:53 AM

All I have done is ask a question, but instead it seems the only people wanting to answer are trying to insult, and degrade me when they haven't even asked me all the right questions. I am not here to argue so please don't reply with negativity because I will not respond.

I will be giving this dog undeniable love for the rest of her life and bring her up in an active and loving home.

When old enough to go to daycare she will go, I am not stupid or naïve about the situation I was just wanting temporary help and help to make it though the night. But I got the help I needed and now it is done.

Mission Accomplished everyone!
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 07:56 AM

Well then continue to leave your puppy home alone for 10 hours a day locked up in the crate. That's perfectly fine.

That's great that you're considering doggy daycare. However, that isn't helping the fact that your pup needs to be socialized NOW.. not in a few weeks or months.

If you're not happy with the response given, then I do apologize. Ask any type of dog trainer.. you'll more than likely get the same response.

The dog is in a crate too long. Too many behaviors develop because of being crated too long.

And no, coming home for lunch doesn't count as anything.

I'm so glad that you know it all and are asking for advise that you don't want to hear. Train your dog the way you feel fit, but don't complain when advise given is not what you want.

How to crate train a dog for the working person? Its called hiring someone to take care of your dog while you're gone. To ensure that your dog is being cared for the proper way, not locked up all day long.

I run a rescue. We get puppies in all the time.. We deny people like you every day. People who work 8 + hours a day just isn't a healthy environment for a PUPPY.

I work 8+ hours a day. I know damn well I can't get a puppy right now. There is just not enough hours in the day for me to train a puppy, socialize a puppy and so on. If I don't have that time, and I am an dog person that will do anything for my dogs, then I know that you for a FACT you don't have the time or energy.

Good luck with your dog. I really do hope for the best. Yet, I still feel sorry for this puppy. Puppies are not meant to sit by themselves for hours on end. You're going to create a psychological mess.

But what do I know :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 08:02 AM

Oh, and.. not every rescue dog has issues.. That's pure myth. So how about you get your facts straight before you lecture me ;)

Apr 23, 2010, 08:07 AM

I asked a question and got the response that helped me. Thank you shazamataz for giving me advice. Advice that worked great.

And yes Lucky098 what do you know. As I said I am not the only one who has had a puppy and worked full time. Please stop the preaching. Advise is fine but ridicule is not accepted.

Yeah I guess coming home letting a puppy out to use the bathroom, feed them, play and get there tummy scratched for a break between crate session doesn't help at all. (COMPLETE EXAGGERATION)

Apr 23, 2010, 08:09 AM

I know not every dog has issues this isn't the first dog I have been around but I don't want to risk it when I have a toddler, if you had any kids hopefully you would understand this.

Lucky098 are you a member because you like helping or is this just a place where you like to come and start arguments because you life is missing something?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 08:18 AM

I like helping people.

In the real world, I'm a dog trainer.

My life revolves around my dogs. When my dog was little, she was never home alone. I had a good network of people to watch my dog so she didn't have to sit in a crate.

I'm not arguing with you. Its your choice to do what you do. No one is going to tell you otherwise.

Like I said, I run a rescue. I get in a lot of dogs that, as puppies, were locked in a crate while the owner was at work with the best intentions. Didn't work out.

And pluckyflamingo, I'm not missing out on anything in life :) My life is quite enjoyable... Maybe not today because I'm sick, but for the most part, I'm happy. I don't come on here to argue. You're the one starting this argument trying to DEGRADE me and my knowledge because a vet told you you are doing OK.

Telling you that its UNHEALTHY to keep a puppy locked up for 12+ hours a day is my advise to you. Puppies will be puppies for up to a 1 year of age. Its rare that a young dog is aloud to roam the house free for 12+ hours a day without destroying anything.

Once this dog reaches a good age, I do hope you are willing to give it good exercise. In fact, you should be enrolling in some type of puppy class right now. The trainer will be able to help you with any of the problems that may pop up. And I'm sorry, but a trainer will also tell you that locking a puppy up for a long period is wrong.

I'm an advocate for the dogs. I speak when they cant. I could really care less about you. Like I said, I feel sorry for this puppy :(

Apr 23, 2010, 08:29 AM

And that's fine, I understood you the first 5 times you said you feel sorry for the puppy and she shouldn't be in a cage for 12+ hours. But for now it is working fine until she goes to daycare. We live right by a dog park so she will be well socialized and walks/runs are a big thing for our family, exercise is not a problem. And yes her first puppy class is this Saturday had it set up before I even got her. And that's great if the trainer says its too long but it still isn't going to change anything for the time being. Thank you for your advice but I really think this thread is over. All it will do is waste time out of both of our lives.
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 08:29 AM

pluckyflamingo disagrees : I am very sorry but you do not know much of the collie breed
    Please review the terms of service and usage guidelines for the "agree/disagree" feature on this website.

I admit I am not as familiar with Collies as I am with Dobermans, English Setters, German Shorthaired Pointers, Corgis, Scotties, and Rottweilers. I do, however, know what Collie breeders have told me for the last half-century, which is that Collies need to be socialized early and need a lot of attention from their trainer.

Apr 23, 2010, 08:37 AM

And mine will be well socialized, thanks for that thought. Doggie daycare, puppy classes, daily walks/runs, and dog park play time and of course a loving family. I think that looks like more than what most puppies get.
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pluckyflamingo View Post
    And mine will be well socialized, thanks for that thought. Doggie daycare, puppy classes, daily walks/runs, and dog park play time and of course a loving family. I think that looks like more than what most puppies get.
    I do hope that these early formative weeks in solitary don't scar the pup emotionally, then. Good luck.

Apr 23, 2010, 08:50 AM

Well its going to have to work. Thanks for all you informative help everyone.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 09:09 AM

Something to think about..

When running a young dog forced (on leash) you can actually damage ligements. There may not be any problems now, but later in life those problems with arise.

I'd stick to walks. If the dog wants to run, let him run on his own. Don't force it by running with the dog on leash. At least not for the first year.

I would still see about having a neighbor or a friend take the dog for a couple days out of the week until doggy daycare is an option.

Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

House training and Crate Training? [ 3 Answers ]

I just rescued a dog from the animal shelter. I'm new to this and have a few questions. He has been good with letting us know at times that he needs to go potty. He has gone a few times outside. But he has also peed and pooped in the house as well. He has only pooped when were gone. But he has peed...

Crate training dogs while at home working [ 5 Answers ]

I have male and female shih tzu's each 1 year old. They were partially potty trained but not fully. The vet suggested I go back to square one with the crate training. I have done that and they don't cry or whine when they are in the crates so I assume they don't mind being in them. I have a...

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

Crate training [ 4 Answers ]

We were looking into getting a dog and went to a pet store just to see how a couple of different breeds acted. We made a mistake when we fell in love with a beagle-boston terrier mix and bought her. She can't stand being in the crate so for it to be less stressful we've been keeping her in the...

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

View more questions Search