Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
    Two questions
    1st) I was spoiled by my first dog and really after just a month Zeus learned to use the outdoors as his bathroom. My new dog who is a miniture pincher that we rescued is really good about peeing outside but everyday I find a poop bomb waiting for me. She is never alone and is taken out numerous times during the day. This morning in fact I took her out, she pooped and then half an hour later there was another bomb on my floor. How do I fix this? She is soooo tiny I can't do more than yell because I would be afraid of hurting her.

2nd) She LOVES to roll around in poo. So I have to bathe her more often than is good for her coat. I try to hold out for once every two weeks and I use an oatmeal shampoo along with an antifungal from the vet. Problem is she has dandruff like no ones business. Are there any products I should use for her bathing that will help keep moisture?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kattygirl View Post
    1st) I was spoiled by my first dog and really after just a month Zeus learned to use the outdoors as his bathroom. My new dog who is a miniture pincher that we rescued is really good about peeing outside but everyday I find a poop bomb waiting for me. She is never alone and is taken out numerous times during the day. This morning infact I took her out, she pooped and then half an hour later there was another bomb on my floor. How do I fix this? She is soooo tiny I can't do more than yell because I would be afraid of hurting her.
    2nd) She LOVES to roll around in poo. So I have to bathe her more often than is good for her coat. I try to hold out for once every two weeks and I use an oatmeal shampoo along with an antifungal from the vet. Problem is she has dandruff like no ones business. Are there any products I should use for her bathing that will help keep moisture?
    I don't think yelling is going to help and G-D forbid that if she was bigger, you would do something else. That won't solve the problem.
    Please don't yell at or hurt your pup, there are other ways.

Lots of dogs roll in their own poop, the best thing would be to pick it up right away, just like if they were eating it. Maybe then You won't have to bathe her so much and her natural oils will still be with her.

I'm sorry I have no suggestion about the pooping indoors right after she went out, unless she is sick. Has she had a check-up lately?
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 06:07 PM

Is she on a specific schedule for eating?
    If not this could be why she is pooping multiple times in a short period.
    I try to limit my dogs bathing to twice a year max. You could try wetting a cloth and just wipe her down, it is not as harsh as a bath.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 14, 2010, 06:16 PM

Good point Emily!

The best advice for house breaking is consitency. Some dogs (I hate to use the word), are rather dirty. The mom may not have been clean and it's just something they never learned.

I know you said she will poop right after she poops out side, but if like Emily suggested, is not on a consistent feeding shedual, and is snacking a lot, than she will have to use the bathroom more often. Even one morsel of kibble can put pressure on their bowles. Especially in smaller breeds.

As far as the rolling in the "bomb", she may not like the scent of the shampoo. My female boxer mix has bad dandruff at times, and gets a little stinky her self, I use allergroom. It's specifically designed for pets and humas who suffer from allergies.

Which brings me to this, what type of food is she on? The reason for her wanting to roll in the poo as well as the dandruff could be allergy related.

Most dogs actually suffer from food allergies. You wouldn't believe what is in most commercial brand dog foods!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 07:41 PM

Sounds like your poochy haS developed a bad habit. Maybe for awhile, instead of letting her roam your house as she pleases, tie her to you. Let her earn her freedom.

Also, what are you feeding? Diet had a lot to do with bowel movements.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Sounds like your poochy haS developed a bad habit. Maybe for awhile, instead of letting her roam your house as she pleases, tie her to you. Let her earn her freedom.

Also, what are you feeding? Diet had a lot to do with bowel movements.
    I don't really like this idea, I've known a few people to do it and it always seems so cruel, your dog can't sleep or lay down when they want to, and you force them to walk with you.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 04:37 AM

Another method to Lucky's idea would be to barracade the dog off in a certain section of the house.
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2010, 07:15 AM

Thanks all. We have always fed kibbles N bits because that is the ONLY thing my daucshund will eat. But we had been leaving a full bowl in the morn so they can eat as they please. My first dog just nibbles all day no prob with food but new dog is a food hog. So we are going to try the schedule times and see how that works. Also does anyone think a leave in conditioner product would help with her coat?
    Dogs Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 07:26 AM

That is by far one of the worst foods you could possible feed you dogs! You mini Pin is probably allergic to the dog food. You may not see any improvements with anything you do until you change the food.

I would not get a conditioner product, I would try to find an allergy shampoo.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    I don't really like this idea, I've known a few people to do it and it always seems so cruel, your dog can't sleep or lay down when they want to, and you force them to walk with you.
    If the dog continues to potty in the house, what other choice do you have?Not only does the dog NOT get to sneak off and potty in the house, but the owner will be able to correct the issue, watch for the signs and get the dog out when it needs out.

The dog basically has to earn that right to be able to lay down and sleep whenever it wants.

Of coarse, if the owner is real busy or doesn't want to take the time to fuss with the dog, it can go in its crate or outside.

It comes down to.. either accept the dog sneaking off and potting in the house.. or correcting the issue. Tieing the dog to the person isn't long term, but its definitely effective to help stop the problem.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kattygirl View Post
    Thanks all. We have always fed kibbles N bits because that is the ONLY thing my daucshund will eat. But we had been leaving a full bowl in the morn so they can eat as they please. My first dog just nibbles all day no prob with food but new dog is a food hog. So we are going to try the schedule times and see how that works. Also does anyone think a leave in conditioner product would help with her coat?
    Kibbles n Bits is a NASTY food! Worse food you can possibly buy for your dog. The colored kibbles are actually food dyes that are deemed unhealthy and unsafe in human foods.

Kibbles n Bits also has no meat source. The bag may say it does, but it really doesn't. The only parts of animals that make it into that food is beaks, feet and blood. Ick!

If you get you pup on a good food, then this issue of him pottying in the house may go away. Because kibbles n bits is full of fillers, he may not have a choice but to potty all the time.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 12:39 PM

Yup, I switched from pedigree to a local natural brand and my poop collection in the backyard has definitely shrunk...
    Now V doesn't curse me for missing a few bombs when he mows the lawn :D
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 03:33 PM

First, kibbles and bits is the worst food out there in my opinion. I know it's cheap, that's why a lot of people buy it, but really you're spending more because your dog needs to eat more in order to get any nutrition (which isn't much) out of the food.

It's mainly filler which is likely why your dog is pooing so much.

Leaving the food out all day so they can eat when they want is another major issue. My dogs have a schedule, just like my kids do. They get two meals a day, one in the late morning and one in the evening. Would you leave food out for your kids all day? Of course not. This is likely another reason you're having problems.

As for Lucky's recommendation of tying the dog to you. This has many benefits. It establishes you as the pack leader and it also allows you to monitor what the dog is doing so you can correct bad behavior as it happens, or prevent it altogether.

If done correctly, without anger, without yelling, then this technique can be very useful (IMHO). I did this with our border collie. He was a rescue and very tentative when he first arrived in our home. Tying him to me allowed us to bond, and allowed me to teach him the rules of our home.

Bottom line, it's a dog, not a human. You can yell until you're blue in the face and it won't make any difference. Dogs don't understand verbal communication, they only understand their instincts and what they are taught. It's up to you to establish your position with this pup by being calm, showing the pup what you expect by repetition and awarding good behavior.

It won't be easy. There is no quick fix. You have to be consistent and you have to put in the time and effort. It will be worth it though.

Good luck.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 10:31 PM

Is there an echo in here?
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 10:36 PM

I think so!
    Dogs Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 PM

Lucky, come join us here https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lounge...463889-19.html
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Is there an echo in here?
    What did I miss? Echo? Hello... hello... hello... um... hello? ;)

Okay, not again, I am not hijacking this thread.

Lucky, join is in the chat section. :)
    Dogs Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 11:13 PM

I tied Alty, I really tried!
    Dogs Expert

Apr 15, 2010, 11:16 PM

Lucky, just skip to the last page and hop in! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2010, 08:16 AM

Sorry guys! I went to bed :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Me and my boyfriend play 20 questions and I need questions [ 3 Answers ]

We play 20 questions a lot and I ran out of questions help

Questions about MS [ 2 Answers ]

HI Ok my daughter in law has progressive MS, And past few months Ive seen her worsen, and I being honest do not understand, she gets up and walks fast to go and have fag, this when we were on holiday, we don't allow smoking indoors... Then when she is indoors she is back to her slow slow don't...

Too many questions! [ 12 Answers ]

YouTube - Woman Sat on Toilet for 2 Years How or why would he be okay with this for two years without seeking help? Why didn't the relatives worry that something wasn't right and request/demand answers? He has been taking care of her? How bringing food from the kitchen to the toilet? How...

View more questions Search