Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Apr 6, 2010, 07:51 AM
    Car Insurance Late Payment
    My boyfriend made a payment to his car insurance that was a week late. Since there was a lapse in coverage for a week, he received a letter that states he must turn in his plate in May and lose registration to his car for three months, plus pay a fee of $50. He has coverage. Just not for that week.

Now, I know that this has happened to me before. But I never gave up my car. I seem to think there is a way around this somehow? Maybe by paying the fee or by showing that you do have coverage and that it only lapsed a week. Or by saying that you didn't drive during that week. But I do know there is a way around it because I've been there. Can someone help me? Because he is freaking out and thinking that he has to get a new car so he has one to drive. Ugh.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 08:08 AM

Sounds like an object lesson to me.' No car for 3 months and pay $50. Because your insurance payment was late'.

I have never heard of an insurance company doing this, but I do know that what they say and do is law, as far as they are concerned, because they can actually call the shots.

I would just suck it up, take public transit for 3 months and pay the $50. And thank his lucky stars he didn't have an accident during that time, which really would have screwed him up.

Tick

Apr 6, 2010, 08:21 AM

Like I said, I've been in this situation (as well as many people who make a single late payment), and I know that you don't have to lose your car when it happens. So logically, I can't let that happen. I'm looking for an answer as to a way around this. Thanks for your advice though.

Apr 6, 2010, 08:23 AM

His coverage was re-instated. It's not the insurance company asking for his tags, it is the department of transportation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 08:59 AM

I see you are in PA. According to this web site: PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Financial Responsibility Overview your boy friend should be able to reinstate his vehicle registration if his lapse in coverage is less than 1 month and provided he didn't drive his car illegally without insurance. I suggest he contact the PA DOT and show that his insurance is reinstated. He may still have to pay the $50.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 09:38 AM

Assuming he was not stopped by the police when the insurance was lasped, he should be able to go down to the DMV with proff of the insurance and get it reinstated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident my car with insurance but no license [ 8 Answers ]

I had a car accident with my car with an insurance cover but no valid license but provisional driving licence which I have accepted liability of,what would be the repercussions

Can my sister's insurance be responsible if I drove her car without insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I drove my sister's car thinking my own insurance covered this. Unfortunately I didn't realise I wasn't covered due to my being the named driver. Now I am being charged for driving without insurance and the other person and his passenger are going to claim against me for damages to car and...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

Can they reposess my car after they agree to payment arrangements and take my payment [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a car in 06 and I have been paying on it every two weeks. I have been a little behind but I still pay or talk to someone about when I will pay... I have never lost communication with these people. I am only one payment and some late charges behind Monday I made a payment on the due date of...

View more questions Search