Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timjam2000 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 03:41 PM
    I have a 15/20 circuit breaker with too much on it. Can I upgrade myself?
    Handyman who hooked up the over range microwave now made it impossible to keep lights and TV on in living room without blowing breaker. We have to shut just about anything that's on just to microwave popcorn. Its hooked up to a 15/20 breaker. Am I able to resolve problem myself? Due to economic conditions I can't afford an electrician to come in to help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 05:36 PM

No such thing as a 15/20 amp breaker, its one or the other. Check the panel and tell us what it is and also the gauge of the wiring if you can. Can you call the guy back and tell him to do it correctly with a new circuit?
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Apr 5, 2010, 07:03 PM

Upgrade the breaker, upgrade the wires. Can't to one without the other.

Apr 5, 2010, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stew_1962 View Post
    Upgrade the breaker, upgrade the wires. Can't to one without the other.
    Thanks stew. Is it a hard job? How long should it take?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 04:24 AM

"Upgrading the wire" is rarely a viable or sensible option. Simply run a new dedicated circuit to the microwave like the handyman should have in the first place. Pretty much every OTR micro I have ever seen has required this anyway.

How long it takes depends on many factors. What is your level of experience in doing electrical work? From the sound of your post this is new to you, am I correct?

Your financial situation aside, an electrician would definitely be your best bet here. See if you can get a refund from the handyman who didn't do the right thing anyway.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 04:35 AM
    Just for education purposes, a 15/20 amp breaker does exist, see photo. These are tandem breakers that have a 15 and a 20 amp pole together.

Tim does not explain further if this is what he has, and does not state which breaker trips, the 15 or the 20 amp.

Clearly the circuit the microwave was connected to cannot handle the load.

Handymen are not electricians, and are not aware of how to size circuits and loads.
    Attached Images

Apr 6, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    "Upgrading the wire" is rarely a viable or sensible option. Simply run a new dedicated circuit to the microwave like the handyman should have in the first place. Pretty much every OTR micro I have ever seen has required this anyway.

How long it takes depends on many factors. What is your level of experience in doing electrical work? From the sound of your post this is new to you, am I correct?

Your financial situation aside, an electrician would definitely be your best bet here. See if you can get a refund from the handyman who didn't do the right thing anyway.
    How do you run a separate circuit? Should I upgrade to a 20/20? I'm pretty sure I can handle something like this and definitely respect electricity. The handyman did it a long time ago. I don't even know if he's still in business. He built a separate socket which is what it is plugged into. The dimming has just started happening about 3 months ago.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2010, 03:28 PM

In that case, the microwave magnatron is probably dying. Do the boil 1 cup of water test. How long does it take. 5 min is way too long, for instance.

Apr 6, 2010, 08:19 PM

Then I agree with KISS. I think were were all under the impression that this was a new install.

Installing a new circuit is not upgrading anything. DO NOT change that original breaker.
    You would simply be adding a new circuit to the microwave. The best thing to do would be to eliminate the old shared one the handyman did.

Apr 6, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Then I agree with KISS. I think were were all under the impression that this was a new install.

Installing a new circuit is not upgrading anything. DO NOT change that original breaker.
    You would simply be adding a new circuit to the microwave. The best thing to do would be to eliminate the old shared one the handyman did.
    OK thanks. Can I do that job myself?

Apr 7, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timjam2000 View Post
    can i do that job myself?
    Only you can answer this accurately.

Apr 12, 2010, 05:11 PM

I give up

Apr 12, 2010, 06:06 PM

That's not always a bad thing.

If you have to ask "Can I do this?", you probably already know the answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Circuit Breaker trips because two bathrooms and master bedroom on same circuit [ 6 Answers ]

Some electrician committed a blunder in my opinion about 17 years ago. The master bedroom and two full bathrooms are all on the same circuit. If two hair dryers are used at the same time, it will trip the breaker every time. In figuring out what amperage would be required for two hair dryers and...

Circuit breaker trip after install of GFCI breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an outlet under kitchen sink that garbage disposer and dish washer were plugged into because they stopped working. The old outlet was not GFCI. So I'm attempting to replace it with one. Our home was built in the '50s and has no ground line yet. I used an extension cord to plug them...

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

Need to upgrade circuit breaker from 20A to 30A [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with my heat pump unit. I live in a new house, and it worked fine for the first two years I've lived there. Lately, the circuit breaker to the outside unit has started tripping regularly during periods of extended use (i.e. hot in summer, cold in winter). I've had an...

View more questions Search