Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Solitude Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Can my husband do this?
    I'm married with three children. We paid off the property and my name is not on the house or the investment property. I talked to my husband and asked him to add my name to the deed because I worked all these years and contributed to the bills as well

My husband told me that he will not add my name on the deed but will transferred into my children's names. Can he do this? Do I have a say in this? He indicates that if we were to divorce in the future. He will leave with empty hand along with me. He states that he will starts all over and works and I should do the same.

I'm scare to think about it, what if I'm in the 50s and have no where to live. I worked hard to raise my children and want to have a stable home for my old age. Am being unreasonable? I want to be protected that I have a home to go to. I do not want to run around to find an apartment for me.

I'm confuse...
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 04:29 AM
    Contact an attorney in your area, get together all receipt where you help pay for the investment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 06:47 AM
    If you are in a community property state, then you would get a share of the property.

What I'm more concerned is why your husband refuses to do this. While is normal to ask that your name be on the deeds, his reaction is not normal. Which makes me believe a divorce is not a remote possibility. So you really should consult an attorney to make sure of where you stand.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 3, 2006, 07:17 AM
    I don't assume everyone who posts here lives in the US. I am wondering if you live in a culture that is more traditional than mine. I know in parts of the US, your husband would seem either somewhat arrogant or mistrusting not to put both your names on deeds. But if he failed to do so and you divorced, you would still be entitled to half the accumulated estate regardless of names on deeds. But in more traditional cultures it is not unheard of to routinely leave the wife out of financial matters with no ill will intended. Cultural context here would be nice to know, I think? Like where do you live and how common is this kind of an arrangement? Also I am curious about the age of your children because it raises the question to me about what if he should die and the house is in the name of minors, what then?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 08:58 AM
    At least here in the US, he can tell you anything he wants, and he can threaten to do anything he wants,

If you are already talking about divorce, you need to file for it before he transfers the property. You in a divorce should be intitled if not to the house and property, but to some of the value of that house and property.

And if you are married, and he does not want to let y ou have 1/2 ownership then you have some serious marriage issues and need to look into it.

I would advice a trip right now, not a trip tomorrow to a divorce attorney
    movies4megan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 09:05 AM
    I don't know anything about this situation, but I found a site that might be helpful:
    http://www.directlex.com/
    It looks like you can ask questions. At least it would get you started. Good Luck!

Dec 3, 2006, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by movies4megan
    I don't know anything about this situation, but I found a site that might be helpful
    While there are times that it is practical or necessary to refer an asker to another site, I don't think that's valid in this situation. The OP has gotten good advice and we should be promoting THIS site not competing sites.
    movies4megan Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Well excuse me ScottGem. I didn't realize giving info on where to find some info elsewhere online was not acceptable on this site. I was just trying to help. And by the way, I found that answer given on a previous askmehelpdesk question from April and May '05.

Dec 3, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by movies4megan
    Well excuse me ScottGem. I didn't realize giving info on where to find some info elsewhere online was not acceptable on this site. I was just trying to help. And by the way, I found that answer given on a previous askmehelpdesk question from April and May '05.
    As I said, there are times when its applicable. I don't know what the situation was in the other thread so I can't say whether it was applicable then or not.

Its very nice of you to want to help, but seeing as how you admitted that you didn't know anything about this situation, why not leave it to the people who do? If no one had answered the question after a day or so, then it would have been appropriate. Posting a response just for the sake of responding is frowned on. I'm sure you will find plenty of questions where you have the knowledge to contribute rather then sending askers elsewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering how to aproach my husband to use sex tiys, I will like for him to do it to me from behind, but use somekind of vibrator for the front at the same time and I'm not so sure how to ask him to do that for me.

Is husband cheating ? [ 20 Answers ]

My husband is in another country and we have been apart for several months. His behavior has changed a lot in the past year - he used to be so loving and now he is so abusive - picks on me and does his best to chase me off. A year ago during one of these separations due to me doing his immigration...

Is my husband right for me? [ 11 Answers ]

I have been married for 6 years now. My husband and I seemed to have so much in common when we first started seeing each other, however now he seems to be trying to change everything about me. Nothing makes him happy either. He seems to think I am not raising my chidren right and he doesn't even...

Husband cannot ejaculate? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I am new,. I have been with my husband for 2 years and he has problems ejactulating, I thought he didn't have any problems until recently he said that he doesn't know why. However he can control himself, (what I mean is when he is hard he can make his penis move up and down and things like that)...

Future with new husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hello my name is michelle (dob 1/21/80) and my husband david (dob 10/11/81) and I resently got married back in June... I was wondering what is my future going to hold with him... kids?? Finacially?? And will it be a long happy marriage??

View more questions Search