Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikbenwp Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Xanax question related to withdrawl
    I was prescribed xanax about three months ago and have been on them ever since, I am now at the last few pills and have cut my intake down to about 1.5 mg a day. I am nervous about getting off these pills and wondering if I should expect withdrawl symptoms. I continue to cut down or try at least everyday, but am still nervous about not taking them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 10:29 AM
    You should never stop taking this medication without the advice of your doctor. The withdrawals can be horrible for some and not so bad for others. Some of he symptoms are muscle pain and weakness, and flu-like symptoms.

Please talk to your doctor and don't try to quit on your own.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 11:30 AM

Being nervous about getting off them is an indication that anxiety is still present and may be an underlying problem. You might wish to consult a psychiatrist and/or psychologist.

Your doc should definitely be involved. Weining off medication can be hard, can be easy. I did it once with a drug for migraines. It caused a rebound headache because I did not take it when the trigger was present. In this case, I had to endure intense migraine pain for about 2-3 weeks and also used the correct medication for what I had at the time which was a sinus headache. Still taking the same med for about 25 yrs now.

Right now, your in a situation with a small buffer and you have no idea what cold turkey is going to do. You get into trouble with meds when you take them and they are not needed.

I don't know what they were prescribed for or any other particulars of your case.

My comments are therefore generic with some experience. I take Ativan which is in the same class, so I know the effects. It's strictly taken as needed.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Xanax is a highly addictive benzodiazepine and should never be stopped without doctor's advice. Rebound effects can cause suicidal ideations.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 12:58 PM

The advice foregoing is absolutely correct. I would only add that even altering the dosage, cutting back as you say, could produce unwanted side effects. Given your supply is low, don't drive too close to the edge. Call and get advice by phone from the prescribing physician. Please don't delay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration related question [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a work visa from past 1 year(L1B). I was given a ticket for Misdemeanor 10 months ago (in San francisco,CA)and was asked to attend a Training program (FOPP) in lieu of prosecution. (Note: I was NOT taken to court as this was my very first offense that led me in contact with criminal ...

Telephone operater related question [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what type of question the interviewer ask for telephone operater , and customercare , how to answer to them ?

Another 401(k) withdrawal Question [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Is there any way to get around paying and early withdrawl penalty for a 401(k) plan?:cool:

View more questions Search