Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onto_the_next_one Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Very good relationship ended. . Ex wants to be friends? What to do?
    Hi,

A little background before I start talking. Me and my ex had been going out for 2 years. We had a break about 2 months ago, just to sort ourselves out. WE wrote lists What not, and everything was going swimmingly.

I was at her family's place few weekends ago, and everything was fine we were both extremely happy.

Then on Monday afternoon she calls me saying we need to talk, saying she loves me but is not "in love with me". She feels like we have become friends, but she love me more than a friend? Her sister called me after as we are close, and said she's confused we should have space and maybe try and be friends.

About me, I've had 6-7 relationships short long medium term and I'm almost 24,she's 23. I'm very sure this girl is the one and only for me. I have never felt this way about anyone ever.

So fast forward a week or two after following the NC rules. I sent an sms to my friend, but it sent to her by accident.. (sounds cliché , but honest mistake on my part). Just small talk I said wrong person.

The following day she calls/sms's saying we have a bond and she wants to be friends with me. I don't deny we have a bond, I think she is scared she is going to lose me, as I haven't really been friends with my ex's.

I told her my feelings about her so I'll have to trade off my feelings to be her friend. I told her its selfish to call me just cause you want to talk as it doesn't help us both, she said she misses me and misses my company. We spoke a little, and it seemed civil and mature a few jokes and then we parted.

What should I do now? I want to be her boyfriend, but I know that can't be right now.
    I'm of the believe as well if I be her friend later on we could be stronger, am I naïve?
    I really do see my future with this girl, I've never felt like this about anyone.. Should I be her friend or should I let her go, and hope she comes back...

My heads exploding... any thoughts/opinions please
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 09:35 AM

You go back to NC and move on with your life.

Friendship now,while you are not over the breakup is not going to work.

Yes, she may miss you and what you had,but you need to do what's best for you now.

Don't wait around in limbo hoping for something that may never happen.
    jimseekinadvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 42

Mar 29, 2010, 09:43 AM

You have to get over the break up and over her first before any form of true friendship can occur. If you guys stay friends and she gets a new boyfriend how will you react? Save yourself the pain by going no contact, create a life that doesn't include her till you are ready.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 10:35 AM

You go NC until you can sort things out yourself, you are in no shape to be friends with her yet
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 10:39 AM

If you are smart and seems you are, stay NC. Good Luck

Mar 29, 2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the advice

Mar 29, 2010, 12:09 PM
    I should probably add that me and my ex never really we're friends before going out we we're pretty full on for 2 yrs.
    So I don't see friendship as an issue.

I will continue with the no contact.Its just I'm so used to making her happy, I know I'm the only person who can do that(for now).

But as I said to her, she made the decision. Um just another question we are both traveling overseas in about 3-4 months. She's going with family, I'm going with friends different countries, she wants to keep in touch.. .

Am I being inconsiderate by thinking that I don't want to do that. I feel as if she is uncertain and she just wants me there until she decides or moves on. I feel she wants me yet isn't sure, and wants to put me on hold. I'm not too sure how I feel about that.. .
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 12:16 PM

Don't think yourself inconsiderate for not wanting to be the fallback guy,or the backup plan-thats what it would amount to.

Go do your own thing,travel and enjoy your travels,and go no contact all the way.
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amicon View Post
    Dont think yourself inconsiderate for not wanting to be the fallback guy,or the backup plan-thats what it would amount to.

Go do your own thing,travel and enjoy your travels,and go no contact all the way.
    Live your life to the fullest!:)

Mar 29, 2010, 12:47 PM

But I don't see myself as a back up plan, but I do see what your saying. In saying that, I didn't make the decision therefore, she should really accept it. Because no matter how much I love or care for her, I can't let my future mental state deteriorate on hopes and dreams or a whim that we may or may not get back together.
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onto_the_next_one View Post
    but i don't see myself as a back up plan, but i do see what your saying. In saying that, I didn't make the decision therefore, she should really accept it. Because no matter how much i love or care for her, i can't let my future mental state deteriorate on hopes and dreams or a whim that we may or may not get back together.
    She is out of your life and good luck too her! Don't let her pull you back!

Mar 29, 2010, 12:51 PM

I don't know I'm just not sure, you guys are right should be all about me right now. I can't be her support network after all this, its pretty immature. What do I say if she wants to talk because I'm assuming she wants to talk at the same level we were at when we were together, its so easy to go back to that. I'm weak, she truly has a hold on me(not in a bad way)
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 01:01 PM

You tell her that you need time alone to heal.

You make choices and decisions for your own self now-you decide what serves you best-its not about what she needs or wants.

Once the relationship is over,all the girlfriend priviligies are null and void.

Mar 29, 2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the advice, maybe I'm being dramatic but I think this girl is my soul-mate. Probably why I'm so willing to be nice.

I've been through break ups before (a few) this one takes the cake.. I don't know I just see me and my ex's situation as unique when I should just see it as anything other break up.

One of my friends described ex gf's as sunken costs, no matter what you through at them they'll never return anything.haha maybe he's right?

Thanks again guys. . Its hard to be confident when your hearts been broken, but there's only one way up from rock bottom
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 01:25 PM

That's the whole point-no false hope,no whims or her possibly sitting-on-the-fence-its about your emotional health and how you act in your own best interests.
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amicon View Post
    Thats the whole point-no false hope,no whims or her possibly sitting-on-the-fence-its about your emotional health and how you act in your own best interests.

If I 've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. Women despise weak men. They know they can have them anytime, anyplace or anywhere. Then they get with their friends and laugh about it. Don't be that man! Stop being a puppet, cut the strings.

Mar 29, 2010, 02:11 PM

I was never that guy, I'm independent and stronger than this. Thanks for the motivational quote. Its not an overnight process. But I'm realizing there's no halfway in..

Cheers guys
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onto_the_next_one View Post
    i was never that guy, I'm independent and stronger than this. thanks for the motivational quote. Its not an overnight process. but I'm realizing there's no halfway in..

cheers guys
    Same here... :)
    jaffeyjoeblaze Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Mar 29, 2010, 09:15 PM

LOL @ on to the next one's screen name... im loving it...

I was you just like 3 months ago... what you must do is let her go do her own thing and do your own thing... when I got my head together I had like 4 interests lined up... whether they were dates or acquaintances they filled the void and let me move on...

You are just missing the constant female attention... I know because I was like that... and please stop with the SHE IS THE ONE AND ONLY FOR ME... I was just like that too and if she was THE ONE you guys wouldn't have broken up...

And please do not be her friend for at least a year honestly... what I think she may be doing is trying to 'keep you in the pocket' basically a backup plan in case she can't find your replacement... how do I know? Because my ex pulled that friends stuff a month ago... no way can it be that way...
    the_original Posts: 177, Reputation: 51

Mar 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffeyjoeblaze View Post
    LOL @ on to the next one's screen name.....im lovin it....

I was you just like 3 months ago.....what you must do is let her go do her own thing and do your own thing......when i got my head together i had like 4 interests lined up.....whether they were dates or acquaintances they filled the void and let me move on....

you are just missing the constant female attention.....i know because i was like that......and please stop with the SHE IS THE ONE AND ONLY FOR ME.....i was just like that too and if she was THE ONE you guys wouldnt have broken up.....

And please do not be her friend for at least a year honestly....what i think she may be doing is trying to 'keep you in the pocket' basically a backup plan in case she can't find your replacement.....how do i know? because my ex pulled that friends stuff a month ago.....no way can it be that way....
    This is so true, I was and still partly am convinced my ex was my soul mate, but fact is exes wouldn't leave you if it was meant to be. This isn't Hollywood or some cheesy love song, an if someone leaves us, it's time for us to leave them as well. Being friends does not work out until you are completely healed. I recently had a small Facebook conversation with a girl I dated for a year in high school, and that was like 4-5 years ago. And it felt good to just catch up, and part ways, no drama, no feelings nothing. Until you can successfully pull that off, stay away and go NC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My relationship has ended [ 3 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend since February. Things were going great. He came to my mums wedding, held my hand when I was in hospital recently and we moved in together 5 weeks ago. He's an only child and has lived away from home before now but is essentailly a mummys boy who does like to have his...

My relationship ended because of the way that I am [ 19 Answers ]

:( I was dating this wonderful guy for nine months and went through hell and back for this man. Well, because of previous relationships that I had, I was very insecure and jealous and in the end it caused for me and the love of my life to break up. How do I overcome this? Does it come all at once...

Relationship ended [ 2 Answers ]

Dear all, I am new to this site so hello everyone. I am going through a very bad time. I am 48 and last year I sold my house to live with my partner of 2 years with the intention of buying somewhere together. Very sadly it did not work as I had so hoped for. I am living with my mother (which...

Seven Year Relationship has ended. [ 12 Answers ]

Well as you can see by my topic, my seven year relationship with the man that I still love broke up with me. I'm very heart broken. He broke up with me on Oct 20, 2006. I confessed to him that I have cheated on him. Lately we have been seeing a lot of each other and spending a tremendous about...

Do you have to be good friends with boyfriend's friend for a relationship to work? [ 2 Answers ]

Does two people have to know each other really well before getting into a relationship? Or can you get to know each other while dating and thereby improving your relationship? Is it important that you are friends with his friends (meaning you can chill and hang out with his friends too, like you...

View more questions Search