Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chryste7 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Testing a Kenmore Defrost Thermostat
    I own a Kenmore refrigerator, made in yr.2000, and have been trying to resolve an ice build-up problem in the top freezer compartment which eventually leads to water dripping into the fridge compartment through the air flow vents. I replaced the defrost timer and the problem continued. I took a continuity test of the heater element and it checked out fine. Today I replaced the "DEFROST THERMOSTAT" and thought I could test it by manually turning the timer by hand to the defrost cycle (fan shuts off when I do this) and the heating element would get warm/hot but it didn't.

HERE'S MY QUESTION: Does the newly installed thermostat have to be at a certain temperature in order to function properly? It was at room temp when I first installed it.

Any advice/guidance/suggestions would be appreciated... greatly
    Thanks,
    Jimbo
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:19 AM

The thermostat determines when the defrost cycle terminates.

The defrost timer basically "suggests" when the unit goes into defrost. It's basically an percentage timer. An off time followed by an on time. The compressor turns off and the defrost heater turns on until the temp is slightly above freezing. Then when the defrost time is up, the compressor is allowed to run again.

Check for gasket failure and also do a complete manual defrost to defrost any internal passages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool won't eject ice - how do I trouble shoot the defrost heater & thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Whirlpool Side by Side Model #ED5LHAXMQ00 - Ice maker won't eject ice. I can see the ice partially rising out of the tray to be ejected but it is frozen at that point. How can I determine which of the parts, defrost heater, defrost thermostat or motor needs to be replaced? Thanks.

Kenmore coldspot fride, whirlpool defrost timer [ 0 Answers ]

Where is the defrost timer located, and do you get at it from front or back.

Kenmore Refrigerator Forced Defrost Mode [ 1 Answers ]

How do I put the refrgerator into a forced defrost mode. I have done it in the past however I forget the actual sequence. I believe it is a certain number of door switch pushes in a specific time. I thought it was 5 times in 6 seconds, however the refrigerator made a click after 5 times, but the...

Kenmore s/s fridge doesn't self defrost [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore model 25358689890 refrigerator that has stopped cooling the fridge side. I then need to turn it off and defrost it and restart it to ge the fridge to work properly. How do I figure out what needs to be fixed in the self defrost cycle?

Testing the thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a maple chase 4 wire thermostat model #09500 and I have just started using the air conditioner which works through the furnace. I have some trouble making it work so I wanted to test it. How do I determine which wires control the air conditioner?

View more questions Search