Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GotAQuestion123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Weight Gain For Dogs
    I have a 2 year old Samoyed that I just got about a month ago. We took him to the vet and has had shots as well as de-wormed. When He was there he weighed about 60lbs and the vet said that she felt some fat on him, but we wouldn't really be able to tell if he was under weight or not until he is shaved(he has a lot of knots under his coat from being outside when he was with someone else). But anyway... when I pet him I can feel his spine, my boyfriend keeps saying its because I'm pushing harder then normal because of his knots but I'm not the only one that thinks he's under weight we've had friends come by that thought the same. I was wonder what type of dog food would help him gain weight better. Right now he's eating Purina Alpo and to me it seems like its not getting any better, I can still feel the spine just the same. He has an appointment Friday to be shaved(we have no choice to shave him we talked to the groomer and she saw him and says it has to be done). Also I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about getting him to like men. Hes not aggressive but runs the opposite way when he see them(He loves my boyfriend though after a couple weeks)

Mar 22, 2010, 06:11 PM

Also I Forgot to say that people say he's bigger then what they have seen for a Samoyed. His back is almost to my waist and I'm Between 5 feet 5'5
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 08:40 PM

Sounds like your dog is a rescue. Its normal for rescue dogs to be under weight. Hell gain his wait back. Just be patient. Let his stress levels come down.

Purina alpo dry or canned dog food is absolute trash. Its nothing but fillers and un named body parts from various animals that have a high potential of being sick before slaughtered. A good food that is decent priced is chicken soup for the dog lovers soul adult. There are good ingredients with a wonderful source of fresh meat. Or even natural balance is a pretty decent food with a practical price. But please, if you love him, get him off that horrible food.

As for him shying away from men... just be patient. He may come around. You could try some basic introduction of your husband/boyfriend/father/son by having them throw a treat your dog really likes in the dogs direction... each time tossing the treat closer and closer until the dog feels comfortable taking a treat from a hand or very close to the man. This could take days, or it could take 15mins to an hr. The key to success is just be patient. There could be hidden fears towards men or your dog could still be in shock with the recent move and meeting new people. A dog will typically stay very reserved and in a basic honeymoon stage up to 2 weeks or sometimes a month.

Get him settled in and get him healthy. Don't ask for too much at once. Set your ground rules and don't stray from them for anything, meaning, if you don't allow dogs on furniture, then don't feel bad because he's in tough shape and allow him on the furniture. The rules you place now are very important.

Good luck... if you have any other questions don't hesitat to ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 03:20 AM
    I wouldn't worry about being able to feel the vertebrae. He's too fat when you can't find the ribs. Here's a chart used by veterinarians to tell.

dog weight chart - The Purina Body Condition System

Mar 23, 2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks.. I looked up the dog food and I live in Canada and the website doesn't have an option for that so I don't think they sell it here
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 07:13 AM

Natural balance can be found in Canada. Natural Balance Store Locator.. Natural Balance is sold at Petco.

Here's a really good website to help you decide what type of food you'd like to feed. Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

If all else fails, feeding Iams, Eukanuba, Nutro and the other petstore brand foods is still better then feeding alpo. But check out that website. It may even have your current food listed... You may be shocked at what you read.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need to gain weight 2! [ 5 Answers ]

Im 17 nealy 18, and can't seem to get past 7st 4lb, its like my maximum. Its been like this for a few years. What can I do? I'm about to get in to modelling and have been to the doctors. Help!!

Weight Gain in Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

Recently rescued a very thin Doberman Pinscher. How can I increase his weight without putting him at risk for torsion bloat?

Weight Gain For Dogs [ 3 Answers ]

How can I help make my pug mix gain some weight?

I need to gain weight [ 5 Answers ]

What is the best way to gain weight?

How to gain weight? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 20 yr old & a working girl.My weight is just 40kg & my height is 152cm . I am not able to put on weight. I eat quite fine, never miss my meal, but still not able to gain weight. Acc. To the doctor I am fine from inside(no health issues). Please help with it. How should I gain weight?

View more questions Search