Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bidingmytime Posts: 92, Reputation: 13

Mar 10, 2010, 12:14 AM
    The best way to build lean but not big muscles?
    I want to keep my arm muscles strong and toned, but when I lift weights I build muscle relatively fast, which would be great if I were a guy, but I'm not. Big muscular arms don't look attractive on me.
    So does any one know a good slim down workout for arms?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 12:30 AM
    I'm a guy and I focus most of my arm work around heavy weights, but there are a couple of things ill do that aren't weight focused so much, and I like it because it changes the routine and runs off easy to find dvds...

Tae bo dvds can be a good overall workout for your core and for your legs and arms. You can use light weights (1 or 2 lbs) to increase the workout, the dvds are paced well and aren't boring, and it'll get into muscle at angles you might not normally do.

I have about 5-6 different billy blanks dvds... I like the amped series but the amped bar is junk, in my opinion... better to not use weights or to use a couple of light dumbbells... the locking mechanism on the bar just doesn't last with time. But again... you can choose to not use any weight if you wish. You can easily work out your arms until they are going to fall off without any weight w/ a couple of his amped workouts.

TaeBo AMPED Workout DVD by Billy Blanks - Billy Blanks

Also, pilates is good. Actually, it's the devils work. Evil stuff. Those little pilates instructors come straight from hell, in my opinion. ;) id rather do several sets of ugly military presses and walking lunges and kettle bell lifts than spend 30 minutes with one of those ladies asking me to hold out a 2lb ball to my sides for eternity.

I'm not bitter. Just scared of them.

Anyway... I like the stott pilates series. It gets a little boring for me so I pick what I like to do, but I find pilates to be a phenomenal overall toning workout... and the evil of it is once you perfect the basic breathing and contraction and form for a given pose, you can always make it harder with simple changes or a simple piece of equipment.

Anyway... here's is one of four stott pilates dvds I have... I don't use this one much, but here it is... the other three are listed below it... I use a lot from the secret to flat abs dvd...
    DVD - The Secret to Toned Arms, Buns & Thighs

Mar 22, 2010, 09:44 PM

Thanks. I think using a workout dvd or a taking some kind of martial arts class might workout my arms without making them big.
    JeffParker45 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Mar 30, 2010, 09:16 PM

Take up some Kung Fu classes...

The best work out ever...
    kiwi21 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2010, 03:09 AM

Its all about rep ranges. If you want to keep your arms toned and still strong without getting bigger you can still do an arm work out just look at doing 20 reps with light weights. Instead of doing slow movments do your reps fast.

May 4, 2010, 08:17 AM

Why are fast reps better than slow ones for lean muscles?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bidingmytime View Post
    why are fast reps better than slow ones for lean muscles?
    There isn't perfect agreement in any gym over what works best for everyone all the time when looking to gain mass...

But I think most would say first, no matter your goal, lift safely. Fast doesn't mean out of control.

Second, many novices focus on the concentric part of the lift... if it were a biceps curl, you'd be thinking about contracting your muscles to bring the weight toward you... but many lifters really focus time and energy on the eccentric part of the movement... where you are lowering the weight, but keeping the muscle under tension... you are essentially causing controlled muscle damage that will cause the muscle to respond by getting bigger...

Again... it isn't that simple. Those looking for great gains still need to cycle their reps and weights and routine...

So... if those interested in building size look at slower movements with high mass during the eccentric phase... it would seem to neglect using heavier weight and to neglect keeping your muscles under tension while moving... well, that would keep you away from the kind of gain you seem to be fretting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much do girls draw to physical attraction? Will big muscles give you a big + ? [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a normal 18 year old boy who does strength trainig 4 times a week. Not anything seriously for now, but I planned to start bodybuilding , not competetive when I turn 19, very seriously.. how much do physical attraction draw girls? Do they like big muslcles? Not any huge roid muslces , but...

Lean on house [ 3 Answers ]

I remodeled house for a customer hi didn't pay for the job.How long after job was finished can be put lean on the house?

Lean to [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a lean to with 2 x 8 boards how far out can I go without the boards sagging

Build muscles through isometrics [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find free information on how to do build muscles through Isometrics?

View more questions Search