Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gburklow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Resident
    I have a relative who is concerned about losing his permanent residency or risking his chances of becoming a citizen. He is aware of the physical presence requirement of 30 months out of 5 years and is also aware of the travel requirements. He is fulfilling the travel requirement by entering the United Stated before 1 year is up, but he only stays for short periods of times due to his continuing employment in his country. So, I don't think he will have any problems as long as he enteres the States ones a year until the 5-year is up, but what will happen when it is time to apply for citizenship? Do you think he has any chance of becoming a citizen when his record shows that he came to the States every year but was only here total of maybe a few months out of 5 years? And if not, can he keep extending hid green card? I am not sure if it help but his kids are staying in the States and he owns a house in the States.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Mar 8, 2010, 12:31 PM

You are confusing the minimum for avoiding abandonment of permanent residence with the physical presence requirement. You are also using an old standard for abandonment of PR.

1. the LPR should be entering the US every 6 months at a minimum. The one-year entries with short stays can be problematic. I recommend that they file for a re-entry permit and maintain ties with the US. He needs to always file taxes as a US resident, drivers license, keep a bank account, credit cards, house, memberships, etc. his children and the house are very good ties to the US. If he does these then he should not lose his PR.

For citizenship, even after his 5 years of LPR, he doesn't meet the 30 of 60 months from the date of fling. Basically, he would need to stay in the US about 2 1/2 years then he qualifies. The USCIS should have no problem approving the case as long as he doesn't have over a year out and no abandonment or relinquishment.

I recommend you consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Not a difficult case, but you need to meet with an attorney that has dealt with these issues. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident or Non Resident for MA State? As F1 Visa/OPT - I Am Non Resident for Federal [ 3 Answers ]

I have spent all my days in MA, USA for the year 2008 and about 4 months in 2007. For federal, I agree that I am a non-resident alien with respect to my visa status (F1/OPT). But how about STATE TAX? Am I a resident of MA State?? I came to know that, VISA status willplay a factor for federal...

Dual status return non resident single and resident married filing [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1-OPT till oct-2009 (exempt) and hence was considered non resident for tax purposes. I moved to H1B and am currently employed under this visa. Since I spent > 183 days in the US I am a resident for tax purposes from oct-dec 2009. I think I should file dual status tax return for this tax...

1st year under L1 visa - Foreign Income - resident or not resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in Miami and have a L1A VISA since May 2006 and getting a US-based salary since then. Am I considered non-resident alien or resident alien ? I received both foreign-based salary and US-based salary during all 2006. What do I write in line #21 description ? "Foreign income" ?...

View more questions Search