Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babysaver Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Mar 5, 2010, 07:00 AM
    Regarding GA family law and minor child
    My sister and her husband have a two year old child and no will in place as to who he should be placed with if on the off chance both of them die. I have dealt with only a handful of this situation here in TX but want to see what the law experts can tell me about GA. Also they have investments as well as a college fund for him. Do they need to put it in the will that all monies go to my nephew? Please advise if I have left any vital information out. Thank you!
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 11:51 PM

O.C.G.A. § 53-2-1
    2) If the decedent is not survived by a spouse, the heirs shall be those relatives, as provided in this Code section, who are in the nearest degree to the decedent in which there is any survivor;

3) Children of the decedent are in the first degree, and those who survive the decedent shall share the estate equally, with the descendants of any deceased child taking, per stirpes, the share that child would have taken if in life;
    babysaver Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Mar 6, 2010, 06:52 AM

Thank you. Just passed the information onto my sister.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 09:49 AM

Without a will the court will have to appont a guardian to care over the child and any family will have to petition the court and family and children services to get custody of the child.

They child may not go to the people they want, if they do not have it set up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a minor child give a child up for adoption without parental consent of father? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a minor child give up a child for adoption without parental consent of the father?

How far back can you sue for child support of your minor child [ 7 Answers ]

I am a single mother in Iowa of a 16 year old son. 5 years ago we went through all the correct channels to stop the child support order. CSRU is unpleasant to deal with and we decided to handle child support ourselves. Needless to say this has not worked out. He made payments for about 6 months...

My son in law has abandoned his family, no food, money,etc. Can Ohio law do anything [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anything legally that can be done in the state of Ohio to a man arrested when he disappears leaves with no money, food, heat, car, etc. with wife and two young children.

Family law/child abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Georgia my daughters father left when I was 5 months pregnant. When she was born I filed for child support. Paternity was established and for the most part of the last 3 years (since her birth) has not paid or not paid on time, has some arrears, has gone to jail and court. Recently OCSS...

View more questions Search