Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmeny Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 01:16 PM
    My daughter is pregnant
    My daughter is pregnant and is due March 24th. Her ex b/f is not in the pic and has not been since day 1. He actually asked her to get an abortion. My question is, she has been speaking to a Navy man for nine months now and they have been talking about marriage and he wants to actually adopt the baby as well. Is there a law anywhere that would prevent her from putting this man’s name on the Birth certificate when the child is born? Is this a possibility?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 01:45 PM

She has been 'speaking' to a Navy man? Do you mean in a long distance relationship? Has she actually met him?

As to her marrying anyone who wanted to put his name on the birth certificate, the birth father would have to sign over his rights first and the new dad would have to adopt.

I get the impression who are anxious that your daughter makes it legal any which way. Don't rush her into doing this.

Tick
    carmeny Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 02:19 PM

Yes they have met several times. I am not trying to rush at all, I was just curious if it was illegal if she puts another name other than the father on the birth certificate that's all. Or if she can get into legal trouble
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Mar 4, 2010, 10:29 AM

It might help to know where she lives as each state may have various laws on the subject.

I wouldn't personally recommend it though. Once the adoption takes place, it will become official. Until then, who knows what could happen with the relationship. Since he's not the father physically, nor legally at this point, a simple DNA test will eliminate him from any responsibility.

She should probably leave the father's name blank at this point if she doesn't want the bio father listed.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 02:28 PM
    A birth certificate is a legal document and the child concerned may well refer to it in years to come.

I'm sure they would want to know who their real father is, even if he is not in the picture.

Why start a child's life with a lie?
    TFG11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 11:28 AM
    I was wondering if you found out anything Carmeny my daughter is in the same situation.. Thank you for your reply it would be much appreciated

T.G.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 11:38 AM

I would suggest you take the safe route here.

Like was mentioned, a birth certificate is a legal document.
    I would think that knowingly falsifying it would be a crime.

I would consult an attorney and get the facts about this pertaining to your state.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2011, 02:09 PM

I was under the impression that when the baby is born, whoever you put on the birth certificate (be it biofather or not) is the child's legal parent. No adoption nessisary. And if bio dad wants to come back, he will have to have a paternity test, and even then won't just be placed on the birth certificate unless the man on the BC gives the child over to biodad for adoption
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2011, 02:39 PM

Also, you don't HAVE to put a name down. It can be left blank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 yr old daughter is pregnant and using pot. Where can I send her for help. [ 10 Answers ]

My daughter had been seeing a 2o yr old boy , she is now 16, for the past 3yr against my better wishes. Every time I try to intervine I get verbale and emotional abused by both of them. All she wants to do is turn 17, quite school and live with him. They are bothe smoking pot and doing other...

Movie about pregnant daughter in UK [ 1 Answers ]

What it the title of a movie that was made in the UK, about a father at odds with his pregnant daughter who still lives at home. The girl insists that her boyfriend is the father but the village is spreading the rumour that it is a much older resident of the town that took advantage of her. The...

17 year old daughter pregnant [ 20 Answers ]

I found out that my 17 year old daughter is pregnant last week, Her father and I told her that we would support any decision that she made. She didn't want to terminate, and she wasn't sure on whether she wanted to keep the baby or give him/her up for adoption. My problem is one, She lied about who...

Daughter pregnant [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is pregnant she went to Dr today for sonogram. Dr. did sonogram and could not see embryo. So she did a vaginal sonogram,ultasound not sure the correct one. She then said she found the embryo but it has no sac around it. Daughter has also been cramping real bad for the past few days....

My 14 Year-Old Daughter is 5 Months Pregnant [ 20 Answers ]

Of course my heart is broken, however, I love my daughter more than words can express and she is pregnant. My daughter is 14 and her boyfriend is 16. I'm not interested in pursing action regarding the age of the boy, but is it illegal for a 16 Year-Old boy to have sex with a 14 Year-Old girl? ...

View more questions Search