Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandy3489 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 10:04 AM
    1992 honda accord fuel problem
    I have a 1992 honda accord which used to get 350+ miles to a tank, 16 gallon tank. Now, it gets only a little over 100 miles to a tank. What could possibly be the problem here? I have never had any work done to the fuel system. Thank you!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 10:44 AM
    First, I would make sure the basic ignition system is in good shape. I would install new NGK spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wires. Second, I would replace your air filter and fuel filter. Third, I would install a new oxygen sensor. This alone could be costing you a lot of money, since it controls the duration that fuel injectors remain open. In other words, oxygen sensors control the fuel/air ratio, under constantly changing conditions. Fourth, I would see if your ECM (computer) is throwing any codes, that may be responsible for the plunge in your gas mileage. Fifth, I would only use synthetic 5W-30 engine oil; e.g. Mobil 1. Change every 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. Sixth, I would drop and clean the transmission pan, install a new filter, and refill with Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle transmission fluid. Change transmission fluid and filter every 35,000 miles. Synthetics can help you realize 8 to 10% better gas mileage, plus offer much better performance and protection. Seventh, add a bottle of Shell's Regane fuel injector cleaner to your gas tank. Do this at least twice a year. Eighth, adjust your tire pressure to 34 psi.
    mandy3489 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Thank you! I got a new rotor, spark plugs and cap just a little whilte ago. But I'm going to look into a fuel filter and an oxygen sensor and see if that could be doing it. I will go to the store and get the fuel injector cleaner. Do you think any of these one things would have caused such a drastic drop in fuel efficiency?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 02:21 PM
    Air filter, oxygen sensor, tire pressure, and clogged injectors could be large contributors to the drop in mileage. You can check the computer for throwing codes yourself. Changing the air filter is more important than changing the fuel filter, in order to increase mileage. Short trips destroy gas mileage.
    Accordguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 07:38 PM
    You may want to have someone look at your front brakes. Those cars are famous for having the front flex lines go bad. They de-laminate internally and block the flow of brake fluid back to the reservoir when the peddle is released. This effectively holds the front brakes on while you're driving and really screws up your fuel economy.

Good luck. Please post your resolution.
    calemonlaw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 04:16 AM
    I too facing the same problem with my car. We have a 1992 Honda Accord. We have changed the fuel pump and the car ran perfect for a day, then the same problem happened again. The car will turn over, but won't start. It is not the fuel filter because the gas is not coming through the fuel line that is attached before the filter. I didn't get any solution till now..

California Lemon Law

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Honda Accord won't start [ 14 Answers ]

We have a 1992 Honda Accord that won't start. Same problem as many others on this website. That is when it gets hot outside etc... the car won't start. We have replaced the distributor, coil, and fuel pump. We are still having the problem. We have read the forums and it appears that our main...

1992 Honda Accord Cut out and won't start [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I recently purchased a 92 Accord and have been driving it for a month now. It was running perfectly until they other day. I started it cold then drove down my street and it just died without warning and now it won't start. The engine cranks... I know it's electrical because I get no...

1992 Honda Accord [ 22 Answers ]

Where is the MAIN RELAY located?

1992 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

My Accord won't turn over when the weather is hot or when driving it for period, parking and returning a short time later. (i.e. running into the store for 3 min). I heard it might be my main relay? Never a problem during cold weather.

Honda Accord 1992 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I have a Honda Accord 1992 and its great except that it guzzles a lot of fuel. The average that it gives is around 6 kilometres per litre which I think is very less. Is this the normal average that this car gives or is there a serious problem with my car. Can any owner of the same vehicle...

View more questions Search