Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckyrabbit7 Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Craftsman lawn tractor engine problem
    I have a craftsman lawn tractor 10hp model 917.254220.
    The engine is a Tecumseh tvm220-157106h. The engine is seized up.
    Can anyone tell me the best option for a engine replacement. I can't find another tvm220-157106h.
    Thanks Jim
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 07:43 AM

Myself I'm not fond of tecumsehs.
    But go to smallengine warehouse,and it should show whay motors will work.

Mar 3, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I had emailed tulsa engine warehouse and small engines suppliers.
    I asked them if that had something that could replace a Tecumseh tvm220-157106h.
    The answer was pretty much no, with no advice on where to go next.
    Jim
    Smallenginesuppliers Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 09:01 PM
    Luckyrabbit7, I'm not sure why you would claim you had emailed us and we said "pretty much no, with no advice on where to go next." but nothing could be further from the truth. This is Small Engine Suppliers - Your online source for Replacement Small Engines, Tools & Parts and you have NEVER emailed us. I have searched our email for anyone asking about a 157106H and found none. The last TVM220 question we got was on 3/1/2010 from a guy named Paul and he was told to go to Small Engine Warehouse for a replacement. We don't just recommend our own engines, but will send someone to a competitor if we feel they have a better solution.

So to answer the question here in front of everyone, the only place that has any TVM220's left is Small Engine warehouse (And they are proud of it - they've really marked that one up.) The engine they have was originally used by Swenson Spreaders on a salt spreader, but has all the attributes you should need. (unless you require electric start) The reason I know this is that these engines were originally offered to us. We did not buy them because of possible warranty issues.

Small Engine Warehouse: TVM220-157305 - Tecumseh Engine 10hp Labeled 8hp, Vertical 1" x 3 5/32" Shaft, Recoil Start, Muffler, Fuel Tank

The above engine is not exactly the same as yours (it uses a different short block) but it's as close as you'll find anywhere. Given that Tecumseh was bought by CPC and they are only making parts, the warranty is a questionable. The short block is shown as obsolete and there is only 1 bare block left in my warehouse.

While there may be a couple of Briggs engines that could replace this engine, the TVM220 is going to be the best choice because it matches the original engine and the tank on the Briggs in that same class is positioned differently & may interfere with the equipment.

Mar 4, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallenginesuppliers View Post
    Luckyrabbit7, I'm not sure why you would claim you had emailed us and we said "pretty much no, with no advice on where to go next." but nothing could be further from the truth. This is Small Engine Suppliers - Your online source for Replacement Small Engines, Tools & Parts and you have NEVER emailed us. I have searched our email for anyone asking about a 157106H and found none. The last TVM220 question we got was on 3/1/2010 from a guy named Paul and he was told to go to Small Engine Warehouse for a replacement. We don't just recommend our own engines, but will send someone to a competitor if we feel they have a better solution.
    Thanks smallenginesuppliers for the helpful and detailed answer.
    But I did email you before, only I had made the mistake of asking about the model no. that was on the engine tag. I didn't realize at the time that this was a craftsman model number and not a tecumseh model number. And you have to do a cross reference. Here's a copy of the email:

Not really. You can match the shaft to a Briggs but you're going to have to make it work.

Thanks

Craig Holdeman
    Slickbuys / Smallenginesuppliers
    PO Box 6883
    Lee's Summit, MO 64064

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. This information is solely for the use of the individual (s) or entity to whom or which it was intended. If not an intended recipient, any review, copying, printing, disclosure, distribution or any other use is strictly prohibited. In addition, disclosure or distribution without our express written consent is also prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail. Please delete this e-mail from your files if you are not the intended recipient. To ask permission to disclose or distribute any part of this transmission please email us. Thank you.

On 2/25/2010 8:17 AM, JAMES PECORARO wrote:
    Do you sell a replacement engine for a Tecumseh engine model 143.376022?
    It came out of a sears 10hp lawn tractor model 197.254220.
    Thanks Jim
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 11:14 PM

When I cross it, I get this: TVM220-157106H

Mar 6, 2010, 08:38 AM
    Well, I apologize for not being able to find that and I'm not sure why I didn't lead you to that other engine before. Again, I apologize for not sending you there initially. I'll try to do better in the future. :)

Mar 6, 2010, 08:41 AM

I'm sure I used the 143.376022 number to look it up so I would have known what it was, I just don't know why I didn't send you to the correct site before as I do that all the time. (been doing it all winter on snow engines and some Tecumseh parts)

Mar 6, 2010, 10:10 AM

Smallenginesuppliers
    I'm glad things got cleared up.
    I saw the northern also has a tvm220 model:
    Tecumseh Formula Vertical Engine — 10 HP, 1in. x 3 5/32in. Shaft, Model# TVM220-157266L | 10 HP Tecumseh Vertical Engines | Northern Tool + Equipment
    But I wanted something with a electric start. My question is, can I use any vertical engine with the correct shaft size. I thought if the new engine's shaft was a little longer, the engine could be raised up so the pulley would be at the correct level.
    If I'm going to spend all that money on a new engine, why put another tvm 10hp. Could I bump it up to something like this, for the same price?
    Tecumseh OHV CARB Compliant Vertical Engine — 16.5 HP, Model# OV490EA208029C | 16 HP Tecumseh Vertical Engines | Northern Tool + Equipment
    Thanks for your help

Mar 9, 2010, 01:29 PM

Any thoughts, anybody?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 07:40 AM

If the shaft is the same and the pulleys line up sure you can put any motor on there that will fit.
    But here's the tricky part,you will have to wire in a key start then you will have to wire it so it will charge the battery.
    Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn tractor engine dies when clutch disengaged [ 2 Answers ]

It starts up just fine. The mower blades are not engaged... but when I let up on the clutch/brake, the engine dies - even when it's in neutral. What is wrong with it?

How to remove engine pulley on craftsman lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor (16 HP, electric start, 42" cutting deck"). The engine pulley which drives the drive belt for the rear wheels and the cutting deck has broken (the lower part of the top pulley broke off). I am trying to remove the engine pulley, but I cannot get...

Craftsman lawn tractor engine knock on startup [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Craftsman 12 hp Briggs 38 in lawn tractor that has just developed a bad engine knock on starting, and sometimes at shutoff. Knocking goes away once running up to speed, and it seems to run smooth, with good power. Oil level is up, etc. What's the problem, is it a major engine...

Craftsman lawn tractor 19.5 Briggs twin engine won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Last time I used this mower was about 3 months ago, ran it out of gas and left It (covered). Tried to start it yesterday after putting in about 3 gallons of new gas And it will crank fine but not start.. I took off the air cleaner and trickled in a bit of gas And it started to run and...

Craftsman Lawn tractor engine dies [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (model #917-257481). The engine dies when I pull out the PTO switch to engage the mower. Have replaced PTO switch and the "clutch" switch. It still does it. I can hear the PTO engage. With the new "clutch" switch installed it also dies when you let out the clutch. I...

View more questions Search