Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    o4ryan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Non resident whose spouse without IYIN
    I am a non resident alien. Can I file state taxes married filing separately with my wife--even if she doesn't have a social security number nor ITIN?
    Is she required to apply for ITIN?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 1, 2010, 06:58 AM

If you file "married filing seperately" you do not file "with your wife."

Generally, aliens must always use the MFS tax tables.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by o4ryan View Post
    I am a non resident alien. Can I file state taxes married filing separately with my wife--even if she doesn't have a social security number nor ITIN?
    Is she required to apply for ITIN?
    If you are nonresident alien (as you have stated), file nonresident tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident alien with non resident spouse with ssn [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident alien working in the US on H1B. I got married on 10th December 09. My wife was in the US for sometime on J1 visa (before our marriage). So she has a US SSN. She doesn't have any US sources income, but she was being paid by the UK branch of her company. She moved to UK in...

Resident alien with non-resident spouse - tax filing status [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a resident alien that got married in 2007 but my spouse lives in another country. I've continued filing as single because we were married in another country. Can I amend my past returns? Can I now file as married filing jointly? My spouse does not work. Would this affect future immigration...

Non resident spouse - Can I claim spouse exemption (1040 6b) [ 8 Answers ]

I am a resident alien with a non resident alien spouse who: (a) Moved to the US in August 2007 on H4, but left shortly afterwards to close ties in the foreign country (in preparation of permanent move in 2008) (b) Does not meet the substantial presence test in 2007 (c) has no US income during...

Resident on H1 with non resident spouse on H4 with no US income - what are my options [ 3 Answers ]

I am a US resident on H1 since 2004. In August 2007 I got married to a Canadian who entered the US on H4 in August 7th and subsequently returned (August 14th) to Canada and continued to work for her employer in Canada through to the end of 2007. On January 1 2008, my spouse moved permanently to the...

FICA taxes for Non-resident spouse treated as resident [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a resident alien for tax purposes. My wife was on F-1 till June 2006, then OPT till Nov 2006, and H-1 afterwards. We elected to treat her as a resident for tax purposes when filing returns for 2004 and 2005. My question is : Her employer did not withhold FICA taxes until she received her...

View more questions Search