Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    good*at*b*n8bad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
    If field 2009 income tax can I still file 2008
    I field 2008 income tax but mailed my federal to state office so it never got field just state did
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 1, 2010, 07:34 AM

Maybe your state office sent your federal return off to the IRS in Austin.

Why don't you call the IRS hotline and see if they got it? If not, resubmit the return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 09:35 AM

Your state tax office would NOT have forwarded your 2008 return to the IRS, so you should submit it ASAP. If you owe money then you can expect to be billed for interest on the late payment. If you are due a refund, unfortunately the IRS doesn't pay you interest for the use of your money over the past year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Ebaines:

Actually, the IRS DOES pay interest on past-due refunds. It is NOT much, but it IS paid.

Further, many states WILL forward a federal tax return to the IRS if the return has been signed, but sent to them in error.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Staying in US since Oct 2009, How do I file income tax? [ 5 Answers ]

I am staying in US since Oct 2009 , I have received the W2 Form. 1. Which form I have to use for tax filing. 2. Will I get my all taxes withheld refunded?

Can I e-file my 2009 taxes if I did not file 2008? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a refund from 2008 but didn't file yet. If I file my 2009 by efile, will I get my refund or will it be held until I file the 2008?

H1 filing Tax return for 2008 as married while my wife and kid came to US in 03/2009 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Need help. I'm working here on h1b since apr2008. But my wife and 4 yr. old kind joined me here in US on March 2009. 1. Am I eligible to file tax return as married and claim benefits for the same. If yes what is the process. ( I consult CPA, he is suggesting I can claim family benefits.)...

Do I need to file 2008 with no income? [ 1 Answers ]

I made zero money in 2008. There is no W-2. Do I need to file for state & federal income tax & if so what form.

Income Tax in USA for 2008 - 2009 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm a resident of India and will be immigrating to Ohio - USA in Jan 2008 with my wife(dependent). I'll be travelling on H1B visa with annual salary of $60,000. Could you please let me know the approximate tax that I will have to pay yearly? I've heard that one has to pay 30% flat tax in...

View more questions Search