Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkelley Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Remove lead and fit pvc to cast iron
    I have a house built in 1890. During our kitchen & bath remodel I've had to cut out and replace the 2nd floor bathroom floor and joists. The new double joists are in. The old toilet flange is 15 1/2" from the wall. I want to move the toilet about 3''. The pipe for the toilet is a lead elbow going into 3 1/2'' OD cast iron. I'm thinking I need to cut the cast iron and splice in some PVC and then support the PVC. What's the best way to cut cast iron? A chain type cutter or will a sawzall do it?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 04:20 PM
    Hi Dkelly...

The pics. Didn't show up, but you can tackle this issue in a number of different ways:

You can drill out the old lead ring at a cast iron hubbed joint using a 1/4" to 3/8" drill bit and then leverage the old lead ring out of the hub using a large flat screwdriver. You can then loosen the lead elbow and oakum out by shaking it up and down until all is removed. Then you could install a PVC MANHOFF fitting into the hub, pack in some oakum to within an inch of the top of the cast iron hub and then pack that space with a LEAD SUBSTITUTE... see images. You can easily install a PVC elbow to a closet flange and you're all set.

You could rent a ratchet type snap cutter at a local tool rental store and then attempt to cut the cast iron pipe a few inches (or more) behind the cast iron hub. You can then transition over to PVC using a CAST IRON x PVC SHIELDED CLAMP (see image). Install the fittings, etc...

You could also use a sawzall with a bimetal cutting sawzall blade... I recommend the 8" sawzall blade for 3" or 4" cast iron pipe... and cut a few inches (or more) behind the cast iron hub. I recommend this option for most people as it pretty much guarantees a good, clean... straight cut... ;) It's also the cheapest option if you own a sawzall. As above, you'll transition over to PVC using that shielded clamp I mentioned.

Be sure to hang the pipes well and be careful working with cast iron.

Let me know if you have questions.

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove the lead and oakum from a 4" cast iron sewer fitting [ 6 Answers ]

How do I remove the lead and oakum from a 4" cast iron bell hub

How do I remove cemented pvc pipe from cast iron hub? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am doing a bathroom remodel and this includes moving the toilet to the opposite side of the soil stack from where it is now. I have read all about using Fernco donut etc. to install a new PVC pipe into my cast iron hub but the problem I have is that the current PCV pipe that is attached...

Remove PVC pipe from cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

I have an AC condensation drain pipe that is cloged with too many elbos to snake. I need to remove the PVC pipe from the cast iron nipple that comes out of the Air Conditioner. How can I do this with out breaking the PVC?

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

Replace sch 40 pvc to cast iron saddle 4 in pvc pipe broke [ 4 Answers ]

Replace sch 40 pvc into cast iron saddle with lead pvc pipe broke off even with lead packing what is the easiest way to remove pvc and lead to replace it

View more questions Search