Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 14, 2009, 03:17 AM

I have really thick uncontrolable locks. By my choice, I had a short hair style for quite some time. I started to grow it out, and friends and family were not so used to the change at first, but again this was my choice. Lately, these same people have been giving me complements. See, I think people don't like change, or the unknown. Try it your way for a time, you may find that you look great with your natural hair. The best thing about hair is if you don't like it one way you can always change it.
    Im sure your boyfriend wouldn't like it one bit if you told him that he had to grow, lets say, a handle bar mustash instead of his clean shave because that's what you prefer. Right?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 06:37 AM

I had a g/f once who told me if I was paying, she would wear her hair any way I wanted. I shut up after that.
    j_ely823 Posts: 118, Reputation: 5

Oct 14, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Okay, so I understand that I should do whatever makes me happy, but I want him to still think Im attractive--the apple of his eye and what not. I know he would still "love me". Can I ask the men, what is your take on the situation? What would you do or say to your wife or significant other if they told you that they were going to cut there hair, color it, or alter it in any way. Would you tell them no, because you like the way they look presently, would you actually tell her you wouldn't like it, and it would be less attractive. I mean its not like I'm cutting it all off you know. I really can't help that my hair take so much time and effort to maintain in a straight style. I accidentally slipped up and said to him that the only thing that would enable me to be have a relationship with an african american man is the cultural ties, and the understanding. Since he's not black, I feel he doesn't understand. And it kills me because I can only complain to him saying "Oh my God, my hair is too much for me, I have other things to do!"
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
    This isn't a cultural thing. It is a Male thing. Men through the ages have not understood what women go through to put their hair in some of the most ridiculous styles just because They like it. A lot of men don't know what they want. I have known men who swore they loved women with long hair. They dated only girls with short hair. Fix your hair the way you like it.

My hair is long and straight. Even when it was shorter it wouldn't hold a perm. My husband loves my hair, but IF I chose to cut it off and dye what's left yellow and orange (he might question my sanity), he would support my decision because I am the one who has to deal with it day in and day out. Yes, we have discussed it.

How many headaches do you get just from all that tugging, brushing, etc. Wouldn't he prefer more time with you than you spending that time with your hair?

Isn't this the guy you have been having problems with? I don't think hairstyles are the biggest problem in the relationship.

Oct 14, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Hmm... I think you are overlooking the fact that I have to spend significant amounts of time to "straighten" my hair for his pleasure. The black men that I know really don't care all too much about whether his "black" or even any woman with nappy-ish thick almost unmanagebale hair--is STRAIGHT. As long as it looks presentable and nice. My dad is black and my mom fixes her hair in so many different styles that resemble african heritage and he never complains, or says anything about his hair or our hair. Actually, he always compliments it. I have some male friends that are african american and they think similarly. So I don't know, I think its both a cultural thing and a guy thing.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by j_ely823 View Post
    So i dont know, i think its both a cultural thing and a guy thing.
    I don't know if it's so much a guy thing as it's this particular guy's hangup. I'm AA and my hair is pretty versatile. I date all races and never had anyone make me feel uncomfortable about our differences. The white guys I've dated knew that I had to do certain things to my hair to make/keep it straight. They knew from the onset of the relationship that we're different but never made a big deal of it.

Sit down and talk to him and give him a chance to actually voice his feelings to you. It may not be so much that he likes your hair straight because he wants you to be something you're not but maybe if it was like that when you met, it's just something he's used to. Talk to him.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
    My dad is black and my mom fixes her hair in so many different styles that resemble african heritage and he never complains, or says anything about his hair or our hair. Actually, he always compliments it.
    How much time does your mother spend trying to get her Native American hair into hairstyles resembling your father's Black heritage? Of course he doesn't complain it isn't his hair. She is doing it for him, because she wants to or she likes the styles. What if she went for hair styles from her own culture?

It still comes down to it is your hair. He isn't the one torturing himself to style it.

I bet you have beautiful hair. Give him a chance to see it and get used to a new hairstyle.

Oct 14, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    How much time does your mother spend trying to get her Native American hair into hairstyles resembling your father's Black heritage? Of course he doesn't complain it isn't his hair. She is doing it for him, because she wants to or she likes the styles. What if she went for hair styles from her own culture?

It still comes down to it is your hair. He isn't the one torturing himself to style it.

I bet you have beautiful hair. Give him a chance to see it and get used to a new hairstyle.
    I think there is a misunderstanding and I shall apologize for not being very detailed with my last post. My father is black and native, my mom is just black, for some reason I have more of the texture of native american hair as it is extremely soft and fine when straight. My sisters isn't even as soft and light as mine. I guess I absorbed the majority of the Native hair gene. Anyway, I think it may a have a little to do with what I looked like when we first met--but everyone who has common sense knows people do not look the same forever. Of course, I going to want to change it up every now and again, people just have to get used to change I think. I don't know if I want to "sit down" with him and discuss it; he doesn't like to talk about little things here and there that to him mean nothing. He just says stop or he will be like "I dont want to talk about it anymore" which is why I usually come on this site lol; or text a guy friend for immediate answers and opinions. I dated a white boy once and he wasn't so much concerned about the way I wore my hair. I was wearing braids and then I took them out he said it looked nice both way. I dated two black men and they always were very understanding of the situation. Whether it was nappy, curly, straight. And then the latino/portuguese guy I went out with for a few months didn't say much at all but I do remember he liked when my hair was curly with gel (in an afro style) and then he too liked when I straightened it. If I remember correctly, it actually "surprised him". He didn't know I could do so many things with it. I just want him to appreciate my hair and not be so judgemental about it. Im thinking Im just going to get straight-long haired weaves/wigs so I don't have to deal with my hair and so he can be aesthetically pleased.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
    I just want him to appreciate my hair and not be so judgemental about it. Im thinking Im just going to get straight-long haired weaves/wigs so I don't have to deal with my hair and so he can be aesthetically pleased.
    I'm a bit concerned that your BF is so infexible that the only way he likes you is with straight hair. I'm also concerned about the importance your hair has as part of the relationship and that you feel you need to 'aesthetically' please him.

Something is not quite right here. If he didn't like the size of your breasts would you change them? If he didn't like the shape of your nose or mouth, because they were too African American would you have them altered?

Why the fixation on your hair? Why is it SO important for him to like it?

It is nice when our partners appreciate our physical appearance, but in the end it is not who we are. It is merely an expression of our personality and our personalities have many aspects.

Perhaps ask yourself why you feel the need to adjust this aspect of yourself to meet your BF's expectations. It sounds like you're trying a bit too hard to please him to me.
    Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 07:11 PM
    My mom fixes her hair in so many different styles that resemble African heritage and he never complains, or says anything about his hair or our hair. Actually, he always compliments it.
    Your dad is a smart man, and most men are the same. We compliment our female partners and appreciate them.

I think your to fixated on please this guy, and I wonder how healthy that is.

I can say that jumping through hoops to be attractive toward him will only make you lose yourself, and yourself esteem, and that's where I think your headed now.

For sure if he doesn't like your hair, then he doesn't like you either, or himself.
    NZG1RL Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2009, 07:27 PM

Baby, your hair is beautiful no matter which way u wear it!

Oct 14, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    I

Why the fixation on your hair? Why is it SO important for him to like it?

It is nice when our partners appreciate our physical appearance, but in the end it is not who we are. It is merely an expression of our personality and our personalities have many aspects.

Perhaps ask yourself why you feel the need to adjust this aspect of yourself to meet your BF's expectations. It sounds like you're trying a bit too hard to please him to me.
    You know, I never really thought about it retrospectively. I guess just like any young woman who is in love, I want to please him, yet I don't want it to be at the expense of limiting my hair to just straight hairstyles. I want him so see me as the most beautiful no matter what but I guess it won't be like that. I am not sure. I braided my hair once and he told me he didn't like it. He never explains why either, so there's no room for discussion or compromise. Its like if I want him to think I'm sexiest that I will ever be it has to be straight. There so many more things I like to do to my hair, and that I did when I was single; no one ever complained to me or said it was ugly, so why am I feeling that from him. It doesn't make sense to me. I am insecure about the way I look for him because something happened in our relationship some months ago; perhaps I put so much of the blame on the fact that I wasn't physically attractive enough to him and what not... But enough about this, I want freedom with my hair! And I just want to be alluring to the eye regardless of what style I choose. By the way the way I would do my hair is not anything too out of the ordinary either. Pretty typical for girls in general, or even other black females. Its not ghetto, its not distasteful, etc.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 10:48 PM
    You know, I never really thought about it retrospectively. I guess just like any young woman who is in love, I want to please him, yet I dont want it to be at the expense of limiting my hair to just straight hairstyles. I want him so see me as the most beautiful no matter what but I guess it wont be like that. I am not sure. I braided my hair once and he told me he didnt like it. He never explains why either, so theres no room for discussion or compromise. Its like if I want him to think im sexiest that I will ever be it has to be straight. There so many more things I like to do to my hair, and that I did when I was single; no one ever complained to me or said it was ugly, so why am i feeling that from him. It doesn't make sense to me. I am insecure about the way I look for him because something happened in our relationship some months ago; perhaps i put so much of the blame on the fact that I wasnt physically attractive enough to him and what not...But enough about this, I want freedom with my hair! And I just want to be alluring to the eye regardless of what style i choose. By the way the way I would do my hair is not anything too out of the ordinary either. Pretty typical for girls in general, or even other black females. Its not ghetto, its not distasteful, ect.
    Something about him is creating insecurity within you.

It wouldn't matter if you had a mowhawk or a beehive or dreadlocks - it's actually not about your hair, it's about you feeling that you lack confidence when you are with him because he is critical of your hairstyle.

As the other posters have said - it's your hair. Wear it however YOU wish. If he doesn't like it then that's his problem. Don't allow him to control how you look and how you feel about how you look (if you know what I mean).

You are you. Not an extension of his likes and dislikes. Take back your power.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 11:13 PM

My boyfriend has a say in my hair styles. When I can't make up my mind and feel like giving him a say. And even then I have the final say. He loves me for me, and if he wants to keep me around, he knows that his response to any hairstyle I decide on had better be "of course you still look beautiful!" he does not get to decide that my hair can't be a certain way because he doesn't like it. Wear your hair how you're comfortable with. If he doesn't like it and has the nerve to tell you not to style it a certain way just because, show him the door.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 14, 2009, 11:34 PM

In a truly loving relationship, looks are not of the greatest importance. Love excepts all things. What if, God forbid, you had cancer, or had a car wreck? Could you really trust him to stay by your side despite your appearance? The way you look, or how you do your hair doesn't define you. You are not your hair. Is it you or him that needs to learn this.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 12:47 AM
    You know, I never really thought about it retrospectively. I guess just like any young woman who is in love, I want to please him, yet I dont want it to be at the expense of limiting my hair to just straight hairstyles. I want him so see me as the most beautiful no matter what but I guess it wont be like that. I am not sure. I braided my hair once and he told me he didnt like it. He never explains why either, so theres no room for discussion or compromise. Its like if I want him to think im sexiest that I will ever be it has to be straight. There so many more things I like to do to my hair, and that I did when I was single; no one ever complained to me or said it was ugly, so why am i feeling that from him. It doesn't make sense to me. I am insecure about the way I look for him because something happened in our relationship some months ago; perhaps i put so much of the blame on the fact that I wasnt physically attractive enough to him and what not...But enough about this, I want freedom with my hair! And I just want to be alluring to the eye regardless of what style i choose. By the way the way I would do my hair is not anything too out of the ordinary either. Pretty typical for girls in general, or even other black females. Its not ghetto, its not distasteful, ect.
    A woman is most beautiful when SHE feels confident and good about who she is.If you are happy with you,that aura of inner beauty and peace will make you shine.
    You have to like what you see when you look in the mirror,first and foremost.
    Be you and be free to be you,anything else is just cheating yourself and the world!

Oct 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
    I Swear to God
    OMG, this is probably the zillionth time Ive had to refer to this site. Not that it's a problem =) You guys always give really good advice. My boyfriend yet again, I was trusting him with certain things. He said he was doing what I expected of him so that I can regain comfort with his behaviors and such. He blew it. Either I think he's incredibly dense, or he's just a little boy with a penis. Im not sure which one, maybe it's a combination of both. Why do men/guys repeat the same mistakes, over and over and over again? I don't understand it. I am not perfect at all, I recognize it--but once I mess up I rectify the situation by apologizing and taking whatever necessary measures to ensure I will not make the same mistake again. Or, even better I just don't. Its as simple as that. How the hell am I supposed to trust him, when he keeps doing the $H!T that he says he won't do? What am I to do?
    Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 01:32 PM

Calm down, and tell us about it, without chat/text of course.

Oct 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Okay. Its regarding social networking sites. But can I ask you personally to you randomly add females that you don't know?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Has this relationship always required so much work?

Will you tell us what it is he keeps doing "wrong"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can anyone tell me something about menstrual psychosis? [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me something about menstrual psychosis? I am a female and I know all about menstrual symptoms (both mild and severe) but I am at a total loss with this one. My girlfriend turns into a crazy person when she gets her period. I don't mean "regular" crazy, I mean clinically deranged....

Diseased Kitten? [ 2 Answers ]

My Kitten has thick foamy saliva that is around his lips. It smells horrible. His gum's are a bit irritated But the reason I became worried is because it's been three days and the bubbling saliva still coats his mouth... What could this possibly be? A dental disease couldn't cause...

Diseased child Movie [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is someone out there that might be able to help me out. I saw a movie about a teenage kid that had a disease and his mom was a biker type women(with a boy friend). I do believe I recall a scene where she is sitting on a swing. In the end the teenager dies due to the...

Pre-partum psychosis [ 1 Answers ]

I am late in pregnancy - 37 weeks... I have diagnosed PTSD and bipolar disorder, but have been off medication for about 3 years, and have been stable. I have recently been having disturbing dreams and "fantasies" about killing my entire family. Of course, this is NOT normal for me - and I have...

View more questions Search