Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmkubowski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
    I have an old wall gas heater that is depositing a plume of gray on the wall above
    This old wall gas heater, about 60's, is depositing a plume of gray on the wall and onto the ceiling above the unit. The service man has already told me that they is nothing that can be done about the soot/discoloration on the walls in the room. He assures me that the gas heater is working correctly. I do not believe that I have to accept this soot in my house. I still think that there is something wrong with the heater or installation. Please advise me on how to get rid of the gray plume?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 02:03 PM

I think that the pilot and burner of you furnace need to be adjusted so that when they are burning you have a nice blue flame. If they are burning with yellow tips it is not right and if you clean then out with air of maybe even a vacuum it will help.

As for the discoloration on the wall and ceiling you will probably have to cover the paint with a product called Killz it will cover the dirty look and keep it from coming back through the new paint that you need to put on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas wall heater pilot light is lit but heater does not come on [ 2 Answers ]

My gas wall heaters pilot light is lit ,but the heater does not come on even if I turn the thermostat up to 100 degrees?

Gas wall heater will not ignite [ 2 Answers ]

My gas wall heater will sometimes not ignite. The pilot light is lit and when I turn on the heat I hear the themostat engage. However, the heater doesn't always fire up. When it does, sometimes it turns off prematurely after a few minutes. I don't want to spend $100 on a house call if it's a simple...

Lighting a wall gas heater [ 2 Answers ]

How do I light a gas wall heater

Gas Wall Heater Will Not Ignite [ 3 Answers ]

The heater has been working fine winter with the pilot light on all winter. I accidentally turned off the pilot light. Now it will not ignite. It is about 5 or 6 years old. The heater is a basic unit that is manually controlled. Ie: No thermostat to control the temperature. You simply turn the...

Gas wall heater problems [ 2 Answers ]

What causes black soot to be emitted from a gas wall heater? The cover at the top is black as well as the walls and ceiling.

View more questions Search