Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkeith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 01:35 PM
    My wife & I have a separation agreement, but she will not sign the affidavit.
    My wife & I have a separation agreement, but she will not sign and file the affidavit for divorce, what are my options, can I do this myself ?
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Feb 25, 2010, 04:46 PM

You can get divorced in any state, without your spouse signing any papers.

You will have to post in a newspaper (any newspaper as long as its posted) that the divorce has been filed, that gives your spouse a chance to respond. If your spouse don't respond usually within 30 days then the divorce is legal. Anyone living in Illinois filing for a divorce also has to meet the 90 day residency requirement. You have to be a resident of Illinois for 90 days before filing your petion for Dissolution of Marriage in Illinois. Illinois divorce laws and court system is very bias towards men. In Illinois get a good lawyer, perferably one referred to you through the Bar Association. That referral will cost maybe $20.00, but will save you allot of money in the end. At all the court sessions request that a court reporter always be present so every statements being made are legally documented and part of the divorce file. In Illinois that makes a huge difference.

This is for all states mind you, but this information was more for state of Illinois, but that is the jist of it for any state.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dynocompe View Post
    this is for all states mind you, but this information was more for state of illinois, but that is the jist of it for any state.

I cannot address divorce in Illinois but I am not aware of any State where you can pick a newspaper and publish a legal notice. ("You will have to post in a newspaper (any newspaper as long as its posted").

The newspaper must have a certain minimum subscription rate, be recognized by the Court and, in any State I have researched, the COURT must order service by publication when all other avenues are exhausted.

What type of affidavit does your wife need to sign? Depending on the State often the filing of the Separation Agreement with the Court starts the "clock" ticking - after the time frame has expired either party can file without the consent of the other.
    NoWayNoDivorce Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 10:40 PM

In NY you can't just get what you want with one signature.

He can serve the papers on her, she goes to court and contests it. If she doesn't reply, it will be granted to him by default.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWayNoDivorce View Post
    In NY you can't just get what you want with one signature.

He can serve the papers on her, she goes to court and contests it. If she doesnt reply, it will be granted to him by default.

In NY the separation agreement has to be ON FILE WITH THE COURT for one year before it can be used as a basis for divorce. There is no affidavit connected to a separation agreement.

I don't know if the OP is saying they came to an agreement and now she won't sign OR if he needs some sort of affidavit in order to use the filed Agreement as a basis for the divorce. If it's the latter, he is incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do all adults need to sign the lease or rental agreement? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My son and a friend both signed an application to rent an apartment (converted garage). It was advertised as month-to-month by the landlord. After my son and his roommate moved in the landlord had my son sign the rental agreement which turned out to be a three month lease agreement....

Need to know about a separation agreement in Fl. [ 1 Answers ]

I just wanted to get someone's opinion. If a separation agreement is drawn up, all monies paid to my spouse, and everything else has been taken care of that was agreed on. There was no agreement as to how fast a divorce had to be filed for. My question is can she push a filing date by saying if it...

Presuaded to sign agreement [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have just been stationed in Germany for 2 yrs. And I have a daughter from a previous relationship that we want to bring with us. Her father has agreed to let her come with us if we agree to let her live with him for 2 yrs. When we come back to the states. I think he is trying to...

Separation agreement? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been separated from My Spouse For 2 Years ,When we Separated HE Agreed To Pay me 500 month Being That IM Disabled he said he would take care of me, With the HOPES of working Out our Differences I Have Not heard from him in over 1 and half years . He found me a small apt . And I had to go...

Tax Query wife in india I'm in CA ongoing separation [ 2 Answers ]

This is the first time I'm filing taxes in US. Since one yr I'm in CA. Wife is in india. Its an ongoing separation (no legal proceedings started yet) So she doesn't have a SSN etc.. Which one do I select Married filing separately (needs ssn) Married filing jointly (needs ssn)

View more questions Search