Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    attard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 02:39 AM
    What gas allows things to burn
    Which gas allows things to burn
    suhari Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Feb 21, 2010, 04:28 AM

When things burn they are consuming oxygen from the air. More accurately it is called di-oxygen because it is a molecule of 2 oxygen atoms bonded together. O₂
    sveegaard Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 21, 2010, 05:23 AM
    Actually, the answer is much morer "coloured". Oxygen is only one of a couple gasses that allow things to burn - or oxidizes things. Fluorine and chlorine are the two other candidates.
    Other gases could be non-elements like nitrous oxide (N2O) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Ozone is also a very powerful oxidizing gas.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 08:16 AM

Correct, but I don't think that for this level of chemistry, a teacher would ask the children for the other types of gases required for burning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is a steam burn worse than a hot water burn ? [ 18 Answers ]

I would like to have the answers in short abou t the following : a) Why asteam burn is worse than a hot water burn? b) A pressure cooker cooks food faster c) A car cooling system is usually pressurized d)An astronaut needs a pressurized space suit all round his body e)It is difficult to make...

I am a colourless gas that is needed for things to burn what am I? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a colourless gas that is needed for things to burn what am I?

Does propane gas burn cooler than natural gas? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a natural gas dryer that I want to use in a location that only has propane gas. I know it can be converted, but I've been told that propane burns a lot cooler than natural gas and it takes clothes much longer to dry. Is this true?

Why gas furnace won't burn? [ 1 Answers ]

I set the thermostat to heat as usual and the furnace does come on and ignites then Quickly turns off. Only the blower continues to run. The furnace is only 10 years old.

Can you burn up a circuit by cutting of the gas heater? [ 4 Answers ]

I am renting a house and the only appliance that runs off gas is the central heater. The Landlord told me I still need to get the gas turned on (eventhough we won't be using the heater for the next 4 months) to keep the pilot light lit. The landlord said if the pilot light is not lit then it...

View more questions Search