Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JayinMD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Comfort Suite Thermostat and defroster
    I have a central air conditioning and heating system, there's 2 different systems one for upstairs and one for the lower level and basement. The one for the lower level and basement I'm having problems with. For the first week over night when it gets real cold it will blow all night and coolish come to find out there was frost all over the unit outside and on the condenser and the fan sounded like it was trying to turn but wasn't so I thought hey the defroster is bad. I turn the unit heat off for awhile and then kick it back on and works fine. Well today the thermostat power is off and it doesn't work at all. Can it just be a bad thermostat? Does a thermostat control the defroster for the unit outside? Someone please help I'm tired of freezing me and my kids butts off.

And by the way I checked the fuse on the thermostat, turned off all the breakers and back on. The age of this system is only 5 years old
    bharr07 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 08:23 PM
    Possibly it may be you have a short in your t-stat wiring most likely the white wire that controls the defrost cycle is shorting somewhere , and now you have a either a burnt transformer or if your lucky and your transformer is protected by a fuse that has been blown , best thing to do is call a service tech to find the short , especially if your 24v transformer is not protected by a fuse ,as you don't want to keep burning transformers , and if that's what it is have your service tech install a fuse in case there problems in the future
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Sounds like you have a heat pump. You will get a vent temperature of about 90 degrees on a 45 degree day. The air feels cool when you are a few feet away from the vent is normal. The outside unit has to defrost itself from time to time, when this happens the fan turns off, the reversing valve switch's, making a funny noise and just the compressor runs until the defrost cycle is done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat Help [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a new thermostat and there is a black wire that I am not sure where it goes... Is this needed? HELP! :confused:

Old thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am having trouble with installing a new thermostat. I have an electric air and heat unit. I purchased a honeywell that matched. The only problem is that my wiring, which is aluminum has only 3 wires and the honeywell shows 5 wire connection. What do I need to do?

Old bedroom suite [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find some info or place online where I can identify an old bedroom suite I inherited from my mother. All I know about it is it came from thomasville, nc and was supposed to be on of the first ones made in thomasville factories. She got it from her oldest sister and she was the...

Love or comfort? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! My name is Tracy (8-4-83). I have been with my boyfriend greg (3-15-84) now for about 2 1/2 years. I have known him for almost 10 years. He was my first boyfriend/kiss when I was 13 years old. He is so wonderful, and I do love him very much, and often see us being together forever. But I...

Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install a new digital thermostat to an existing RUDD system. The original RUDD thermostat is currently installed. How do I find out how to install the thermstat? The wiring diagrams do not match the wires I have installed. And how do I find out what type of system I have for air...

View more questions Search