Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cj15king Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 11:36 PM
    Trouble with filling out 1040X
    I e-filed my tax return for 2009, then days later received two more tax documents. I got a 1098 Mtg Interest statement from the house I sold early in 2009, which I absolutely forgot was coming, as well as a 1099-INT from my bank for a promo gift my wife received for opening a savings account. I paid Mtg interest of $2294.10 and Real Estate Taxes of $1161.90, and the amount of the promo gift was $70. I am having a heckuva time trying to fill out my 1040X, as the instructions that are with the form seem very vague, and very over my head. If anyone out there can help, or send me in the right direction of some help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Chris
    Arlington, WA
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 15, 2010, 11:25 AM
    I would suggest you find a competent tax professional in your neighborhood. Filing an amended return IS a little complicated.
    cj15king Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 05:42 AM

Thanks! Any other thoughts on this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 07:28 AM

I guess the issue is when you say that the instructions are "way over [your] head," we have no way of knowing whether you have the time or disposition to wade into completing your own 1040X properly. Personally, I don't think it's all that complicated, BUT you do need to have a basic understanding of how both the 1040 and 1040X work. You are essentially recalculating your entire tax return, and reporting the data that has changed. So in this case you will need to complete a new SchedulA and B, which leads to a new value for your adjusted gross income, from which you calculate a new tax rate, and whatever payment amount you owe.

One option is to consider using a tax preparation program such as Tax Cut. It has the ability to prepare a 1040X for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MFS-1040X(MFJ) to get RRC but how we explain RRC in 1040X? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I filed MFS to get RRC (my spouse's ITIN disqualified last year). My tax software said I am qualified for $600 if I file MFS, so "STEP 1" seems to work. But, my tax software put $600 on line 15 column A and -$600 on column B in Form 1040X, which means I eventually do not get any...

What do I send with 1040X and when? [ 1 Answers ]

Last week I e-filed my 2008 tax return with HR Block with 1040EZ. I realized yesterday that I could have deducted my student loan interest (form 1098E). I used HR Block to enter that info in and got a 1040A which is what I should have done. Though I couldn't submit the changes online. Anyway I used...

Using 1040x [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all, I filed 1040 ez for the past two years using turbotax and after reading some thread on this forum I understand that being on F-1 ,I wasn't supposed to file 1040-EZ.I have some questions about 1040x. 1. do I have to file 1040x along with my 2007 1040-NR or after getting my tax...

Is it O.K. To send 1040X with W-7? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I need your help! I already did e-file my tax return 2006. But I found that I have to amend some points because I got married with my wife (Foreign national) . I forgot to file her W-7 and some points about my wife... (Maybe she will be mad if she hear it... So, my question is "Is it...

1040X and 1040 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta expert, Thanks for all your help. Based on your response, I am not filing 1040NR form. Thoguh I was married at end of 2004, I filed my return as single. So I am filing form 1040X and 1040 again. Hope this is fine. Please let me know if I need to send any other form with these 2...

View more questions Search