Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Add additional insulation
    My bedroom is in an A-frame with only 8" rafters. The slanted walls contains fiberglass insulation and is drywalled. The room gets cold. Can I simply apply 2x4s against the existing wall, put fiberglass or pink insulation board between the new studs and put drywall over it?

Should I remove the existing drywall?
    What about vapor barrier?
    Will this make a difference in keep the room warm?

Thanks,

Glenn
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 04:48 PM

It will make a difference but you run the chance of a double vapor barrier (big no no). You need to see what is in the existing cavity. A pro woud remove the old drywall and any vapor abbrier. Then install 2x4 to incraes the cavity, add insulation, staple new barrier and then drywall
    PatcyMcn Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2010, 03:44 AM

Look outside to see if there is a ridge vent and soffit vents in the existing roof. Without good ventilation you'll get ice dams.

Try a ceiling fan on low to bring the hot air down from the peak.

Radiant floor heat is probably your best coice with a high ceiling. The heat is right where you are.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 07:33 AM

The outer walls are made of?They can be addressed also.

I live in a converted barn with board and batten siding(1X12's spaced apart and a @2" batten over the spacing,there are cold moments.)I applied caulk(high grade,urethane based)to the west wall last fall to test the product,and to see if there would be a noticeable change in the heat loss/cold penetration.

Huge difference.

I have yet to see how the clod winter and spring thaw will affect the new caulk.If there is little problem with it,the rest of the barn(Approx @26 square of surface) will be addressed for the new year.

It might make more sense to look where the cold is coming from rather than trying to block it after it has already penetrated the outsides.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add insulation to a exterior wall and then tile the wall [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom and the exterior walls are 2x4's and I would like to add some insulation before I close the wall back up. The wall will be tiled 1/2 way up. So I was going to adhere 1" R6.5 insulation to the studs and then fasten cement board through the insulation into the studs. Is...

How to add insulation to existing catherdral ceiling with no insulation now [ 1 Answers ]

We are removing to popcorn from to ceiling and found that no insulation was ever add. We have two skylights windows and recest lighting also in this ceiling. We stopped everything until we can find out which way to go. What is the best wayto to this. What other information do you need from me....

How do I add light to an existing switch. [ 6 Answers ]

There is a light fixture at the bottom of my basement stairs with a light switch at the top of the stairs. I would like to add a fixture at the top of the stairs to light the stairs. Can I wire right into the switch to add the new fixture?

Besides the annuity penalty does the IRS add penalty for removing money [ 1 Answers ]

I am removimg money from my 401k plan & the annuity is assessing me a 8% penalty. Is the IRS going to penalize me as well or is it just categorized as ordinary income?

Can apartments add additional months to lease without your knowledge? [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into a new apartment development in Arizona, signed a 12 month lease for a two bedroom. We decided after a couple of months we needed additional room (my mother in law was moving in) so the office said this would be no problem. We then paid a transfer fee and a fee for an additional...

View more questions Search