Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juanchino12 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 09:30 PM
    Help: Heaters At Home Leaking Water
    Hello,

The heating furnaces around my home started leaking incessantly today. The heat is not on, but the furnaces in the bathroom, living room and bedrooms just have water coming out of them nonstop. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Boiler? Or furnace?

Nov 24, 2006, 12:00 PM
    The furnaces in the different rooms (bathroom, living room, bedroom) thanks for the help

Nov 24, 2006, 12:05 PM
    The radiators
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Radiators are just a simple copper tube with fins around it, can you see where it is leaking exactly? Is there a chance these water lines could have froze? There is a water valve that comes into the boiler that will stop the flow of water, but once you close it you will have no heat.

Nov 24, 2006, 12:14 PM
    There are knobs on the side of the radiators that I can twist to open or close (sorry for the description due to my unfamiliarity). The water just flows out from under the knobs?
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
    It will be on a 1/2" ((almost always)(could be 3/4")) copper line that goes to your whole house water supply.

Nov 24, 2006, 12:24 PM
    So, I should just stop the flow of water to the heating system, right?

Why is this happening though? Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
    I don't know. I'd have to see it. Where is the water coming from exactly? Could the pipes maybe have frozen. Is this low pessure steam? Or just hot water heat?

Nov 24, 2006, 12:51 PM
    The water comes out from the knobs next to the radiator. I don't think the pipes froze, do you have any colleagues in the Boston area you could recommend to hire for this?
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by juanchino12
    the water comes out from the knobs next to the radiator. I don't think the pipes froze, do you have any collegues in the Boston area you could recommend to hire for this?
    Sorry I don't. Is it a lot of water?
    Did You try to close or open them?
    Can you describe the knobs?

Nov 24, 2006, 02:36 PM
    It's just the knobs on the radiator to open or close heat from flowing in. Perhaps, the water level on the furnace in the basement is too high? Thanks again Northern
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Nov 25, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Did You Try To Tighten The Packing Nuts On Valves?
    bharr07 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Your valve stems are leaking , get yourself a an adjustable wrench and tighten the packing nuts on the radiator valves , on the valve you will see under the shutoff knob and where the valve stem goes into is a hex nut , try tightening them down a bit , but don't overtighten ,just try to tighten till the water stops leaking before you start make sure the valves are open all the way and then tighten the nuts down , and then don't close the vavle or tamper with the valve anymore just leave it , especially if there old, until you can get someone to re-pack the valves or replace them , and what part of boston are you from , I know many heating co. there , I can recommend someone close to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heaters worth it? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all. I'm wondering what your expert opinions are of tankless "on-demand" water heaters (for the whole house). I found some supposedly new ones on EBay for about $750 (natural gas) and would do the installation myself. But I've never lived in a house that had one, and wanted to know if...

Tankless water heaters [ 5 Answers ]

I was looking into tankless water heaters and wondering if it would be worth while to switch to one when its time to replace my standard hot water tank- has anyone installed one of these, and are they worth the extra money vs. a standard tank?

Exploding water heaters [ 2 Answers ]

Ive heard people say water heater tanks that have blockage or suddenly let cold water into hot tanks will"flash" and explode, causing severe, if not total structural damage - Has anyone ever seen this firsthand?

Short Question About Flushing Water Heaters [ 2 Answers ]

I've read in many posts here that it is important to flush your water heater regularly. All instructions have been to connect a hose to the boiler valve at the bottom of the tank and let it run until the water runs clear. My heater has a valve about halfway up the tank with a plastic hose running...

How to plan gas pipe job to hook-up tankless hot water heaters [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me Help Desk, I am installing two Paloma 200K BTU tankless hot water heaters in our L-Shaped 2900 square feet 1963-built rancher in Atlanta, GA. I am trying to decide if I should tackle the gas line part of the job. I have successfully done a number of small gas jobs which required...

View more questions Search