Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hibou Posts: 58, Reputation: 0

Feb 4, 2010, 02:45 AM
    Windows will not start.
    After a failed download of Returnil Virtual System yesterday on my PackardBell desktop computer (am writing this on my laptop),the computer closed and started with a black screen showing possible causes for Windows being unable to start and highlighting 'START WINDOWS NORMALLY' together with a counting down till restart.However each time it goes through the 'start windows normally' procedure it fails and the same black screen appears with the same explanation.
    I have also tried in turn highlighting two of the other possible choices:-
    'LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION'
    &
    'SAFE MODE

Both had the same result ; the black screen returns with 'START WINDOWS NORMALLY' highlighted and counting down.

P.S. I am English speaking but my computer is set up in French so the above is a translation.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 4, 2010, 02:54 AM
    Have you tried booting to Safe Mode ?

Feb 4, 2010, 03:35 AM

When I boot to Safe Mode I get a page :-
    Boot Menu
    Select & Boot FIrst Device
    Hard Disk
    _NEC DVD_RW ND- 3530A
    Realtek Boot Agent
    Mode Enter Accept F9Exit
    BossMan

Feb 4, 2010, 03:38 AM
    That's boot options, not Safe Mode.

When you start up your machine, just after the makers splash screen, hit f8 repeatedly.
    If you get the Windows screen then you need to start over.

Feb 4, 2010, 03:54 AM

When I hit f8 repeatedly after the makers Splash Screen that is what I get i.e. boot options
    BossMan

Feb 4, 2010, 03:59 AM
    A dirty way of accessing it is to let the windows spalsh screen to come up and pull the power.

Feb 4, 2010, 04:17 AM

Unfortunately pulling the power did not work I neither get 'boot options' page or a page ' Menu of Advanced Options for Windows XP'... Select an Option...

Feb 4, 2010, 04:19 AM
    Sorry Curlyben that should read 'I either get'

Feb 4, 2010, 04:56 AM

I have now got into Safe Mode Page!
    Choose System to Start
    Microsoft Windows XP Family Edition
    Recovery Console Microsoft Windows XP
    Press F8 for Advanced Start Options.

Which do I choose ? I tried ' Micosoft Windows XP Family Edition' and it did not work.

Feb 4, 2010, 05:53 AM

After trying ' Recovery Console' I am pleased to say that much to my delight Windows has started !
    My thanks for your help Curlyben.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows won't start up [ 5 Answers ]

I own a Dell Dimension 4600 PC and on January 1, 2009 when one of our family members tried to use the computer, Windows(XP) was taking forever to load up. It never fully loaded up and since then, through various attempts to get it to work, I am still without a functioning PC. The computer is 5...

Windows could not start [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a Fujitsu siemens amilo pro laptop with windows xp.When I try to start it I get the following message: 'windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: /windows/system32/config/system' I can get to the bios and boot screens using F2 and F12 keys and I've tried...

Windows will not start! [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know what happened, but, I turned my compter on and all I'm getting is this message. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt : \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM I can't start in safe mode or anything. So I borrowed a friends XP disc and booted from it....

WINDOWS XP won't start! [ 1 Answers ]

I've had a gateway laptop for about a year now. I hardly started using it until recently. It has no internet so I don't know if the problem is a virus or not. When I start the computer a black screen comes up and it has these options: Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Command...

Windows 98 won't start! [ 12 Answers ]

I have an IBM Aptiva and have not been able to start it since my teenage son opened a file on msn which seems to have caused a problem... When I turn it on it goes through the motions of starting Windows 98 and the titles begin but then the following message appears: Not enough memory to run...

View more questions Search