Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pete_itt101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 06:22 AM
    How is a transformer connected to get power and then give power to the thermostat
    This is about hvac units: how is a transformer connected to get power and then give power to the thermostat

And where is the transformer excactly - lets say on a residential a/c unit with gas furnace
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Transformers,, officially called step down transformers,can / are located in various places at the choice of the Mfg. usually somewhere that the least amount of wire is needed. In a gas furnace there is 120 voltes fed into one side and the transformer steps the power down to 24 volts,the 24 volts is what feeds power to the tstat and the tstat distributes the 24 volts to control what ever the stat is set to be needed
    rblowers3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 02:25 PM

Hi if there is no power measured across the 24 volt termanals, with a volt meter, using the lead connectors does it matter where to place the test leads? On the termanls?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions on a power transformer [ 38 Answers ]

Hey Folks, I have a 36-volt Lestronic II battery charger that is not working. I do have a slight background in electronics so I've done the diagnosis which resulted in some questions. Here is the situation. When I plug it in (120 volts AC) and turn it on, the transformer draws 8.9 amps...

Online tapchnager in Power transformer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, can any one explain me the selection criteria of on line tap changer or off line tap changer in power transformer??

Connecting a power transformer to a light? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have an outdoor lamp at my house that is/was using a power transformer for the lamp. First question: Why? The wires on one of the windings has been ripped off the unit and the base of the unit is very rusty. I do not know the manufacturer or the specs of the unit. So, I bought one,...

View more questions Search