Ask
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Jan 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Condom Size - Deep Red Ring around base
    Hey Folks,

Currently I have tried several different condoms, and currently use:
    - Trustex Extra Large
    - Magnum XL

Regular sized condoms do not fit at all.

The problem is, after intercourse, there will be an extremely deep red ring around the base of the shaft, where the condom ends.

I also occasionally feel weird pain/sensations, I presume this is due to constricted blood flow.

I was thinking of trying Durex XXL Condoms, since they are supposedly bigger than Magnum XL's, but it seems from online dimensions, they are simply longer, not wider.

Any suggestions? Or should I simply try different brands/sizes until I find one that works well.

Here are some other brands for larger sized condoms:
    - Kimono MicroThin Large
    - Vivid Large
    - Kimono MAXX
    - Durex Love

But based on the online dimensions, they seem very similar to the Trustex Extra Large.

Thanks.
    Aprilmay12 Posts: 33, Reputation: 7

Jan 28, 2010, 11:57 PM

Try a trash bag maybe? Sorry, just making a funny! ;) I guess I would just experiment with all different kinds and brands of XL condoms. Or maybe if you trust your partner(s) and she is on birth control you don't have to use a condom. If the birth control isn't enough, try using a spermicidal lubricant also.
    abodh Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Jan 29, 2010, 07:58 AM

Well, point of condom is not only birth control but STD prevention.

Jan 29, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilmay12 View Post
    Try a trash bag maybe?? Sorry, just makin a funny! ;) I guess I would just experiment with all different kinds and brands of XL condoms. Or maybe if you trust your partner(s) and she is on birth control you don't have to use a condom. If the birth control isn't enough, try using a spermicidal lubricant also.
    From my understanding, the spermicidal lubricants are practically useless and some of them actually might cause more harm than good (Lookup Nonoxynol-9 Spermicide)

I wouldn't recommend having "partner(s)", that's just asking for an STD or unwanted pregnancy!

I will simply have to try different ones, until eventually the decision can be made and discussed in a healthy relationship to have no-condom sex. (Which is something not to be taken lightly)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 11:29 AM

You are a smart man! I applaud that you are serious about your birth control and your health.

Not having a penis myself, I have a hard time recommending any one condom over another (I've also been in a monogamous relationship for 14 years--so condoms have been out the window for me for quite some time now). However--if there is a sex shop in your area, I really recommend going in and talking to whoever is behind the counter. If it's a GOOD shop, their employees will be polite, discreet, and knowledgeable of their products.

And believe me--they've heard it ALL.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 07:33 PM

First, let me also applaud the seriousness of your approach to the subject. If you read a few of these posts you'll understand how refreshing an adult honest question is.

As for the deep red ring, I'm assuming that it's from the rolled up end? Have you considered completely unrolling the condom? Yes it may leave a five gallon reservoir tip but that can be adjusted. Trimming the ring at the bottom may help as well, but that could cause some concerns with slippage.

The other question would be how long does it stay on? Even socks that fit will leave a ring if you wear them for too long.

Jan 29, 2010, 08:25 PM

I appreciate everyone's applauds, it's always seemed like being "responsible" about my health and sexuality was a hard path to follow, but I'm becoming more comfortable that I make the right decisions.

I never tried unrolling the condom completely, I thought you were supposed to simply roll it to the base of the penis and leave it there. (In order for it to stay in place better). I might give that a try to see.

Well, I don't quite want to say how long it stays on, because you probably wouldn't believe me. But I can say, even if its only on for 5 minutes and I take it off for inspection, I run into the problem. So length of time doesn't seem to matter, other than making it more red.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 06:53 AM
    [QUOTE=CarrotTalker;2201657] (In order for it to stay in place better). QUOTE]

That's the slippage issue I was referring to. You might try that or other adjustments alone where there's no risk of accident.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 01:01 PM

Ask your Pharmacist for a recommendation - I trust this isn't one of those troll questions that my late husband got asked in his Pharmacy on a very regular basis.

In those cases it was called "bragging rights."

I have always found that well built men have no need to advertise and can figure these problems out by themselves.

Jan 30, 2010, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Ask your Pharmacist for a recommendation - I trust this isn't one of those troll questions that my late husband got asked in his Pharmacy on a very regular basis.

In those cases it was called "bragging rights."

I have always found that well built men have no need to advertise and can figure these problems out by themselves.
    I don't think the pharmacist would be much help because at almost every store (at least in my area), the only Large/XL they carry is the Trojan Magnum XL.

It seems that I was on the right track with simply trying the other brands until I find one that I can work with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 02:48 PM

Well I will mention about them being "tight" of course many men wear (rings" that are very tight to keep the erection lasting longer. And to be honest have when using them as an example, put standard comdoms over large cucumbers and the such to show how to use them.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTalker View Post
    I don't think the pharmacist would be much help because at almost every store (at least in my area), the only Large/XL they carry is the Trojan Magnum XL.

It seems that I was on the right track with simply trying the other brands until I find one that I can work with.

If you are beyond XL they can special order - not the least bit unusual for these orders to be placed.

Jan 30, 2010, 04:06 PM
    If you are beyond XL they can special order - not the least bit unusual for these orders to be placed.
    How does that work? Sizing and such? What brand is it?

On the site I normally order from, they used to have custom sizing, but they discontinued it due to defective merchandise. Scary!

I also found some random sites that sell "custom sized" condoms, but none of them seemed that trustworthy to me.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 08:20 PM

You ask your Pharmacist for recommendations and order an assortment.

Jan 30, 2010, 11:00 PM
    You ask your Pharmacist for recommendations and order an assortment.
    I am really surprised that this is an option.

I even talked to a doctor about my situation and he did not offer much advice. Kind of makes me concerned that the pharmacist will just look at me strangely.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTalker View Post
    I am really surprised that this is an option.

I even talked to a doctor about my situation and he did not offer much advice. Kinda makes me concerned that the pharmacist will just look at me strangely.

This has turned into a blog - that being said, my late husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy. He owned/operated several pharmacies. As I keep saying, yours is NOT an unusual question.

Nothing shocks Pharmacists. Will he/she look at you strangely? I have no idea why he/she should. They are, after all, medical professionals.

Jan 31, 2010, 10:21 AM
    This has turned into a blog - that being said, my late husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy. He owned/operated several pharmacies. As I keep saying, yours is NOT an unusual question.

Nothing shocks Pharmacists. Will he/she look at you strangely? I have no idea why he/she should. They are, after all, medical professionals.
    I am very disappointed in your quite rude response.

How is me saying "I even talked to a doctor about my situation and he did not offer much advice." turning it into a blog?

That's me saying, I'm skeptical because a Doctor, had NO IDEA when I was asking him! And he is a medical professional.

Edit: I don't think I need any additional information, I feel I'm on the right track. I was interested in hearing more about the pharmacy option, but was skeptical because of how doctors I spoke with would react to me.

Jan 31, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Since you didn't believe Judy the first time she told you, you consider her more explicit and emphatic answer rude?

I am gratified that you seem to be saying you won't trouble us again, just like all the other children that get mad when they don't get the answers they want.

A last word - Sterilization will solve your condom problem.
    I think both of you are ignoring that I spoke with my doctor about this, and he had no idea.

Sterilization solves not getting girls pregnant, but doesn't do anything for STD's! That would be a pretty dumb and risky move on anyone's part.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 11:27 AM

I think that checking with a pharmacist is a good idea, and I think it's good that you're getting clarification when you're not sure of someone's answer.

Let's all keep in mind that the OP doesn't seem to be questioning whether our answers are legit--he seems to be looking for clarification. Let's ALL not get rude.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 31, 2010, 12:07 PM

This site has a size chart/list for several common condom brands. Measure the circumference of the base of your penis, and go from that measurement. Just wrap a piece of string around the base and see how long the string is.

CONDOM SIZE CHART

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny, deep hole in my leg, size of a pore with black in it that doesn't come out. [ 2 Answers ]

Ive had this thing on my leg for at least 6 months or more. I can't remember anything happening where it is, so it isn't a result of picking or anything. It's not a black head. It doesn't raise above my skin, it's flat and pretty much just looks like a pencil mark at first. But it's a hole. I've...

How do I achieve this hair color - deep red blackish [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I dyed my hair like this picture 7 years ago. At that time, my hair was virgin darkest brown hair and I used L'oreal Intense Copper to get this look. It was successful. http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7338/besthaircolor01nf0.jpg...

Ring Size . [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I bought a ring that was too big... yeah that's right.. I'm that dumb... ok so here is my question... roughly how much should it cost me to get it resized OR... I have another band that she likes... Can somewhere just stitch the bands and stones??

Red spot on base of penis [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm a virgin and one of the unlucky guy who have fordcyes, but also a few weeks ago I noticed a red spot on the base of my penis about halfway up. It looks similar to an ordinary spot, like you would get on your face. It soon went and a few days later, then another one appeared. Im hopeing this...

Condom size [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone I do the best I can to try and practice safe sex if the opportunity ever presents itself but I have yet to find a condom that fits. I have used them all, the regular size and the small size and every single one just slips right off even when I'm erect. I don't even need to stretch...

View more questions Search