Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 05:23 PM
    Nonresident's Wages included in state taxes
    My home of records is FL (no state tax) and my wife's is OK, I am active Navy and when filing this years state taxes for OK, both of our wages were included in the income so it stated we owed a lot more taxes than we should since it should be based off her wages only correct? I filed using HR Block's online service for both fed and state and it pulled info from the federal return so it used the married filing jointly which seems to be the problem, how do I fix this?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 01:36 AM

Since you are active Navy, you tax home is the state in Navy records, which is FL so you do not pay state tax.
    On the OK tax return, your spouse is resident and will report her income. You are nonresident and will not report your income.

You should go back to HR Block. They should file amended tax return for OK and claim the refund. You need to attach proof that your resident state is FL irrespective of where you are currently posted.

Atlanta TaxExpert has personal experience in doing such returns.
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 10:04 AM
    I haven't actually filed the state return yet as I was hoping I made a mistake, I will give HR Block a call today to see if I can fix it online, of not I will take the info to a local HR Block to fix it, thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
    You need to file the Oklahoma return as a part-year resident, then reduce the income subject to Oklahoma taxes by your military pay.

That should fix the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W2 State wages don't match Box 1 Wages: How to file GA state? [ 1 Answers ]

I started to work on my son's taxes after getting his W2 yesterday. His box 1 wages are 13,300 but his state wages in box 16 are 4667. He is a full-time college student in GA and a GA resident. He worked full-time last May through Aug in Texas. They withheld federal taxes but no state taxes. I...

Per diem included in wages [ 1 Answers ]

My employer included my reimbursed perdiem as "temporary living expenses" on my paycheck as taxable income and on my W2 as income, can I deduct it as a business expense?

State wages differ from federal wages on W2 [ 1 Answers ]

On my W2 Box #1 which lists "wages, tips, other comp. is a different number from box #16 which lists state wages, tips, etc. On my state tax return, which do I list as my wages?

How to Garnish wages state to state [ 1 Answers ]

I won a judgement against a person who lives in another state. How do you garnish wages if you live in Virginia and the other person lives in Maine.

View more questions Search