Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Fake profiles online.
    My sister went onto a website and saw a message board and chatroom she wanted to be involved in, but she didn't want to give away her identity, so she created an entirely fake account. Fake name, pics, info, the whole thing, just so she can get into this chatroom (it's a "science" chatroom, where they talk about science.) She didn't want to post her gender, in case a creepy guy would decide to harass her, or God only knows what else...
    Also, I have a cousin who uses a fake account to test his real account's security and privacy settings.
    Are there any laws/rules against fake profiles on the internet? (if you're not a sex offender or anything)? I'm curious. When I learned these things, I didn't really have a response!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Nope, no rules. It's been like that since the beginning.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Hi, jaime90!

Yes, it's been like that since the beginning of the Internet, as far as using an alias or other ID. If your sister does have a problem with someone, then she should report them to the Administrators of the site.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal Profiles [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to locate a friend on the Web. I know she has Cox Internet but I don't know her email. Is there a way of finding her email? Thank You

AOL profiles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wonderning if anyone knows why when I upgraded to AOL vr I cannot view anyone's profile in chat or on the buddie list .this is what comes up all the time Sorry, the AIM Profile page you requested is not available right now. Please try again later. Thanks hope you can help

Name of country western song about online profiles [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name and lyrics to a country western song about online profiles

Gmail profiles [ 1 Answers ]

How do I search a person's profile on Gmail?

View more questions Search