Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b holmes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 01:41 PM
    How Do I Read Error Codes on 91 Civic Hatchback
    My car won't start... how do you read the codes? I've found conflicting info. My brother
    Thinks it was 1 pause 1 pause 3, but that dosen't seem right for the problem. The car
    Is turning over but won't start... no spark.

Help, please... thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Read:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-18139.html

Let me say if you are, in fact, throwing a DTC 3 (MAP Sensor) that your car positively won't start. The MAP Sensor controls spark and fuel. Make sure you are really experiencing a DTC 3 first, because this component is very expensive.

Answer these 3 basic diagnostic questions for me:

1. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (not START), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds?

2. When the CEL goes out, do you hear (or feel) the main relay "click"?

3. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run?

Nov 20, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Read:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-18139.html

Answer these 3 basic diagnostic questions for me:

1. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (not START), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds?

2. When the CEL goes out, do you hear (or feel) the main relay "click"?

3. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run?

Those are great questions and jive w/ all the research I've done today.. . but answer is
    "dunno". I'm going to find out when I go home tonight. Thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 04:03 PM
    Those questions are how you begin to properly diagnose a Honda that won't start. Answer those questions in a 1-2-3 format for me tonight and we can go from there.

Nov 21, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by b holmes
    My car won't start...how do you read the codes? I've found conflicting info. My brother
    thinks it was 1 pause 1 pause 3, but that dosen't seem right for the problem. The car
    is turning over but won't start...no spark.

Help, please...thanks.
    Glad to hear that. It almost fired up this morning but the starter is sounding worse. Im
    Leaving it be and having a mechanic look at it hopefully tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reading error codes on 92-95 Civics (OBD-I Hondas) [ 8 Answers ]

Here is the information you need to read error codes on 92-95 Civic and Del Sol (CRX). Those cars are OBD-I, so the same info should be usable for any other OBD-I Honda. I have not had interest in other Honda cars, so I don't know what year Accords and Preludes are OBD-I. Anyway, off to...

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the previous post about late 80-91 hondas. My car idles great and always starts on the first try. My problem is that it sputters or looses power once in a while when I am driving. It has never stalled while driving.I have taken it to the shop and they have checked everything they think...

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback battery light [ 1 Answers ]

My battery warning light came on... what does that mean? If there are multiple possibilities, how do I narrow it down?

Honda Civic '97 - Error Codes? [ 3 Answers ]

So I've read through the FAQ and all of that, but I do not see any spot to read error codes as was listed in the FAQ, which I assume was meant for the 88-91's. Anyway, my car was dead yesterday, low power/didn't turn over. Took my battery to Sears, the battery is good, which leads me to believe it...

View more questions Search