Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smccammond Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Telephone wiring
    Grrr... Second time I'm writing this!

1 phone jack works, it's in the kitchen. It has red and black wires on the left with a blue wire connecting to the red wire. On the left it has green and white wires with the blue/white wire connecting to the green.

All other jacks are QuickPort USOC snap in connectors, none of which work. I have a Leviton's phone hub in my closet and everything seems to be hooked up right there. Any advice would be great.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 05:08 PM

Should be, White/Blue to green and Blue/white to Red for Line 1, and White/orange to Black, and Orange/white to Yellow for line 2.
    Do you have a tool for the Quickport?

Jan 25, 2010, 05:17 PM

I do not have a tool for the quickport. I will have to go pick one up, where at? Lowe's? There are a total of 8 wires. From what I can tell there is Brown, Orange, Blue, Green, and then what I can only guess are white wires with corresponding color marks on them. The brown and brown/white wires are not connected. When I do open the quickport how is it to be connected? Does the hub in my closet have anything to do with this?

Jan 25, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Oh and the second line is not hooked up at the NID, only the 1st. I have a headache! I love that this is a rental and the landlords will do NOTHING to help. By law there only has to be one working phone jack, grrr!
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 05:23 PM

If you have a Meter, look for 48 volts, if you don't, jacks may not be the problem. If you do, connect to the colors listed above, If your Quickport are 6 conductors, they should also be marked with the red, green, yellow, and black.
    Needlenose may work for the quickport, the cap. Check what is colors are connected at the other end.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 05:29 PM

Sounds like you may have White/blue to green and Blue/white to red in the Kitchen. Which is desirable.
    If Blue is the Major color, it is considered Blue/white and may have small white marks on it. The White is likely White with little blue marks?

Jan 25, 2010, 06:08 PM

All of the wires are connected in the correct slots. But do the blue and blue/white wires need to be connected in the same spot as the green ones? I'm still getting no tone, after checking the one outlet that I dismantled. Maybe I'm not getting power to the hub in the closet? I only have a voltage tester (it tests if there is voltage or not.

Jan 25, 2010, 06:10 PM
    And yes, you are correct to your last post. It's just a flat plate with four screws with wires screwed down. Super easy and simple. So not liking these snap things
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 06:21 PM

No, the white(or white with blue) goes to the green screw, the blue(or blue/white) goes to the red screw, NOT together.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 06:28 PM

Maybe this will help:
    How to Punch Down an RJ45 Keystone Jack with a Impact Tool - Video

Jan 25, 2010, 06:30 PM

Okay, so in the quicksnap thing I need to put the Blue/White wire in the same slot as the green wire, not in its blue slot? And there is no red on the quicksnap, is that my problem?

Jan 25, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Nor are there red and black wires anywhere else but the kitchen phone jack.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 06:39 PM

Do you have 8 conductor jacks and wiring fof networking, if not you should have the 6 conductiors, the 8's will work if that's all you have but not really correct.
    Did you watch the video?
    You don't need red and black at your quickports, you need white/blue to white/blue and blue/white to blue/white.
    Your blue pair is all you need.
    The 8 conductor will not have the old colors(red/green/yellow/black).

Jan 25, 2010, 06:50 PM

No I have the 6's. I did watch the video. Everything, but did not test it. I'll have to do that in a few.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 06:56 PM

Leviton Voice Grade 6-Conductor USOC Connector - Quickport Snap-In Modules - Leviton 41106-R - LevitonProducts.com
    This shows the 6 conductor with the red/green/yellow/black.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:02 PM
    If your jacks have red/green/yellow/black/white and blue, forget the Blue.
    If blue and white also have 3 other whites and a orange, green and a brown, then connect:
    White to white/blue and blue to the blue white, it is the 2 end connections on the jack, making it the center 2 pins.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:11 PM

Use 568a wiring on the jack, this shows the difference between 568 a and 568 b, but in either case the first pair is in the center, if you wire in a second line, wire for 568 a.
    About half way down the page:
    568A v 568B

Jan 25, 2010, 08:12 PM

I have a splitting headache! I just got done talking with AT&T, who we use, and they told me that my other jacks could be hooked up to the other NID (which is with cox) and that could be my problem. But that is considered inside wiring, so they won't come fix it. How do I know if they are connected to the cox box?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 08:47 PM

Can you provide a picture of your Outside? Main connections?
    If you plug in a cordless phone in kitchen, go off hook and talk to someone and see if cutting through all 8 conductors makes a momentary short(will loose connection), listen with handset while cutting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telephone Plug Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on my cottage & the builders have knocked the telephone plug off. I have bought a new one which mentions wiring diagram colours to terminals 1 green with white ring,2 blue with white ring.3 orange with white ring,4 white with orange ring,5 white with blue ring,6 white with green...

Telephone Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to help someone whose line 2 went dead after they did some rearranging of furniture. The wiring was pretty old, so I replaced it from where it comes into the wall. There is a two-line phone in that room that has both lines working fine. Between where the line comes in and the jack,...

Telephone wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small business. When the owner installed the telephone lines he installed 2 of them. We took the plate off and looked at the wiring within jack and he put 2 strands to each of the 2 jacks. We currently have 2 incoming lines with a 2 line telephone. This works okay. However, we are...

Telephone wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I hope you'll be able to help me.. I am trying to have a phone at the kitchen and both my bedrooms. When I first moved into the apartment, there was only 1 jack working (bedroom 2), I was able to successfully put the kitchen jack working a month ago. Now, I am trying to work on the bedroom 1...

Telephone Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

There are two numbers currently working in my home. I would like to rewire a jack so it works on the other number. I thought it was an easy task by just switching the wires. However I tried numerous combinations and it still does not work. The jack that I want to switch users other colors...

View more questions Search