Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grock74 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 11:02 AM
    Can I receive the home buyers credit if I bought the home from my wife's family
    My wife an I bought a house belonging to my wife's parents and her uncle in may 2009 for full price of $75000. We obtained an HUD loan and now living in the house after fixing it up a little.We are first time home buyers making below $50000 per year with a disabled child and are going to file for the first time home buyers credit to help offset some of our debts. It has just recently come to my attention by reading into the IRS website that we CANNOT get this credit now because we bought a house that has belonged to my wife's family. Is this true? Are we screwed out of this credit now because we wanted to be closer to her family? There has got to be some loophole without having to break the law. We are not trying to get one over on the IRS we simply just want our slice of the pie. Andrew
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 08:12 AM

Unfortunately what you have discovered is correct - you do not qualify for the credit if you purchased the home from your wife's parents.
    grock74 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 02:57 PM

I don't get why it should matter who we purchased the house from and why was this VERY important stipulation was not made more aware to the public. Its very flusterating when your trying to scrape by and you get smacked down. Thank you ebaines for your answer.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 03:05 PM

I understand your frustration. I suspect that the limitation was to ensure an "arms length" relationship between buyer and seller. If the limitation wasn't there you can imagine the collusion that could occur between related parties - buying and selling each other's homes merely to pocket the credit money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When will I find out if my home buyers tax credit is up for review [ 1 Answers ]

It's been 12 weeks since I filed my amended return for the first time home buyers tax credit I was unaware that I needed to send in a copy of my closing statement. I have it and want to send it in but I haven't heard anything about who to send it to. When will I get my notice

First Time Buyers Home Repairs. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We have recently purchased a house in Florida and would like some of your opinions! 1. We have decided to replace 3 bedrooms with laminate flooring. We have purchased roughly 800 sqft of laminate floor at Home Depot for $.99 a sqfoot. The installation would include removal of...

$10,000 from 403b for first time home buyers [ 7 Answers ]

Is it better to borrow money from a 403b or to take the withdrawal of $10,000 allowed to first time home buyers?

Conversion of mobile home to single family home [ 5 Answers ]

In 1995, we bought some land & moved a salvaged mobile home on it. The mobile wasn't permanent meaning we only needed to live in it until we could build our house. We first added onto the mobile a 12x60 section. We then began to tear down the mobile home & eventually added a front section. The...

1/3 home owner family estate. Can I borrow with home as colatural? [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers and I each own 1/3 of estate property that we want to sale in the near future. Is it possible I could get a loan based on my 1/3 of the estate? With consent of brothers, and how would they be effected?

View more questions Search