Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monicarick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Outlet controlled by light switch is reading 79 volts why
    I have a set of outlets that the top outlet is controlled by a light switch. They do not work. I get a reading of 79v at all the outlets and at the switch. The bottom outlets all work and read 120v. The breaker controls all of them.

Any suggestions
    mail box Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 04:04 PM

Check voltage from hot to ground,if 120 then look for a bad neutral
    johnmprince Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 22, 2010, 04:30 PM

This is called a "split receptacle". The upper and lower portions are separated by the removal of a small metal tab between them on the "hot" side. The upper and lower share the neutral, that tab is intact. If you are getting 79 volts on both sides of the switch then check the connections on the feed to the switch. If one side is 120 then replace the switch.
    monicarick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmprince View Post
    This is called a "split receptacle". The upper and lower portions are separated by the removal of a small metal tab between them on the "hot" side. The upper and lower share the neutral, that tab is intact. If you are getting 79 volts on both sides of the switch then check the connections on the feed to the switch. If one side is 120 then replace the switch.

With the switch out, the reading between the wires is 79. The main wire coming into the wall socket controls the bottom outles on the recepticals AND 2 banks of over head ceiling lights, these all work fine with a reading of 120. The power is there but not to that one switch. Can wires go bad so that they do not deliver enough juice?
    hermanwachs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jan 23, 2010, 08:57 AM

Though anything is possible, I would say that wires don't "go bad". What do go bad are connections. Check the connections. Determine where the wire carrying power to the switch comes from. There is a good chance the problem is there. You're dropping 40 volts somewhere, this should be attended to.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2010, 09:13 AM

If you are measuring across the 2 wires at switch, with switch off, or wires disconnected, then you are reading voltage through overhead ceiling lights.
    Are you measuring across switch, from ground, from neutral?
    johnmprince Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 23, 2010, 11:49 AM

All these measurements should be to the neutral.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2010, 01:14 PM

I'm just wondering if he is measuring across the switch when it is open?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding light switch and light from outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Would like to know how to wire have excisting outlet would like to come off this outlet and put light switch then light

Electrical outlet controlled by a switch issues [ 11 Answers ]

Hello! I've a pair of outlets in the kitchen where the top one is always hot and the bottom one is controlled by a switch. The switch stopped working and the bottom is always dead. Suspecting the outlet (and not the switch) was bad I replaced the outlet with a new one and connected everything as...

Do I need a light switch for a remote controlled ceiling fan? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to have a ceiling fan installed in a room with no previous overhead lighting/light switch. Electrician will have to go into attic to run wires for electricity from one of several other overhead light fixtures in other rooms. If I purchase a remote controlled ceiling fan will I also have to...

Switch controlled outlet to constant power [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electrical outlet in living room which has top half controlled by switch and bottom half has constant power. The switch controls 4 other outlets in the room in the same fashion. I would like to make this outlet have constant power to the top and bottom. Is this an easy fix?

Outlet Controlled by a Switch [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced the electrical outlets in a room I recently had dry-walled. One of the outlets I replaced was partially (1 of the 2 receptacles) controlled by a wall switch. I hooked the new outlet up exactly as the old one was, but now the outlet is on all of the time. The wall switch no longer...

View more questions Search