Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clown711 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Can my Social security disability be garnished or my account frozen
    I have been served a summons for a credit card debt. I went to legal aid and they said I did not have to court. That the judge would file in favor of the creditor. I also owe state taxes can they garnish my social scurity disability. Could I go bakrupt withoutlosing my home and car... all that I own. Well the house has a $40,000.00 mortgage on it.
    XTC832 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Jan 21, 2010, 05:49 PM
    SS disability cannot be garnished to pay a credit card debt. The only instances where SS disability can be garnished is if you owe delinquent Federal taxes or if you owe back child support payments. Sometimes (not always) SS can be garnished for alimony support. Delinquent state taxes may or may not be entitled to a judgment of your SS. Consult with an attorney because states law vary in conjunction with what the Feds dictate.

If the creditors win a judgment, yes, they can freeze an account. But if your only source of funds in the account is the SS disability, then no, it's judgment proof. If there are funds other than SS in this account, then the burden would be on you to make certain the bank and/or the creditor are aware you have untouchable SS disability. Best advice for situations like this is to keep separate accounts or close the account and get a "live" check from SS.

As to filing bankruptcy, yes, it is possible to keep your house and car and your possessions, depending on their value. Bankruptcy allows personal property exemptions and in some states, the exemptions are quite generous. Of course, it is best to consult with a bankruptcy attorney because there are different chapters and requirements. Full financial disclosure is required as well as a credit course and financial management course. If you choose to file, then your SS disability is excluded also. This is a huge plus for those who have borderline incomes. Take care.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jan 21, 2010, 06:18 PM

Also you must take a means test to see if you qualify for chapter 7 or chapter 13,your lawyer will discuss this with you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freezing a social security disability checking account [ 3 Answers ]

In December of 2006 I suffered heart failure and was sent to 3 different hospitals. I was out of work (part time at minimum wage) for a few months, so I tried every avenue, medicaid, hospital charity programs, etc. to pay the bills that eventually lead up to $125,000 plus, but was denied. My...

Bank account frozen and Wages Garnished [ 4 Answers ]

Ok - I own up to the debt - however - I was told by the original lenders (its for a car) that the debt was writtenoff by p&l they even removed it from my credit report this was years ago - fast forward toMonday - I get a note from my job saying there is an income execution so my wages are being...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search