Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jesse970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
    Points keep burning out on pressure switch
    Points on pressure switch keeps burning out on one side of the switch. Is the switched wired wrong or do I have a more serious problem
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 05:23 PM

If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage across the contacts when the motor is running and continue going in both directions.

Burning can mean one of two things. 1) A loose connection either at the switch or elsewhere causing heat build up. 2) an overcurrent condition (leak to ground).

A good test would be to measure the current with an AMP clamp on both sides and compare.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 06:55 PM

I like the amp check idea. Does it consistently burn out the same side?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York residential furnace pressure switch problem code stuck switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a york furnace P2MD12H06401A after 1 hour it shuts down and gives a 2 flash error for a stuck pressure switch. The switch is new can it be wired wrong? The old one had 2 white wires piggy back and 1 blue wire. The new switch has 3 separate terminals

Toggle Switch Rated for Tools. Six Connection Points. How Come? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, All! I just bought a new, generic switch for a bench mounted power tool that I have. It's a toggle switch. I needed something that had a ground connector. I figured out how to connect things up and everything is working fine! However, this switch has six connection points on it. I'm...

Square D pressure switch wiring melting points. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am having problems with my well this week and right now have no water at all. I saw earlier in the week that the old pressure switch contacts were in very bad shape so I cleaned them but a day later it quit working. I bought a new switch this morning and put it in after about 10...

Burning Smell Associated with Light Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have one light switch that frequently produces a burning smell when turned off (although the light plate is never warm to the touch). The light switch is not particularly old, but wasn't replaced yesterday either. I have had this problem in apartments I have lived in in the past, although this...

View more questions Search