Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuliya1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 02:12 PM
    Unprotected sex
    OK so I had sex while on my period without a condom... but the he did not inside of me but out... is there still a possibility of pregnancy?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 02:17 PM

If you had sex, then there's a possibility of pregnancy.

How old are you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2010, 02:17 PM

WHENEVER there is penile penetration there is ALWAYS a possibility of pregnancy.
    tuliya1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 02:18 PM

22... but he did not inside... but outside of me
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 02:20 PM

So?

Pre-ejaculate, which he can not feel, contains sperm.

If you had sex, even WITH protection, there is a chance of pregnancy.

Welcome to the waiting game, honey. You get to wait until NEXT month to see if you get your period or not.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tuliya1 View Post
    22...but he did not inside...but outside of me
    You cannot be sure something didn't leak inside of you. Again, penile penetration means a possibility of pregnancy. At 22 you should be aware of this.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tuliya1 View Post
    22...but he did not inside...but outside of me
    If he's hard enough to penetrate, there are sperm in the Bartholin's secretions that are lively enough to achieve impregnation.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 02:43 PM

I don't disagree with anything that has been posted here. Having unprotected sex can lead to pregnancy.

Our next lesson is on probability. Sex with a condom, 99%+ safe. So there is a 1% chance that something will happen. This could include the condom breaking, the condom sliding off, or even just having pre- on your hands as you're rolling down the condom. You can hedge your bets by using hormonal birth control as well, or use condoms in conjunction with other methods. It lessens your chances but not by a whole lot. Life finds a way.

That being said, if you're menstruating then the chances are really low that pregnancy will occur. The facts, sperm can live for about 3 days in the female reproductive tract but can live longer. Your ovulation occurs about two weeks, given your average four week cycle, after your period starts. Given the time frames, chances are really low that this will result in pregnancy. The physics of motile sperm VS menus out flow won't be touched on either.

I wouldn't be too concerned but I wouldn't make this a regular practise. If his penis is coming anywhere near your vagina, make sure there is some protection. Condoms are cheap, babies aren't.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 02:51 PM

Craven--unless you are actively tracking your ovulation, there is NO WAY to know that you're not ovulating DURING your period.

I know a couple of women that were having a hard time conceiving until they tracked their cycle and figured that out.

Unless the OP is actively tracking her cycle (not likely, really), there's no way to know that she isn't one of those women who doesn't have a normal 4 week cycle.

Yes, the odds are low--but low isn't NONE.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 04:59 PM

Agreed, it can happen during your period and there is plenty of sperm in the early fluids to do the job.

Can I assume you are wanting a baby since you are having unprotected sex ?
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 05:11 PM

Synnen,

You are, of course, completely right in everything you say in your post. There is no way to know when she ovulates.

That being said, the chances are that she has a NORMAL and AVERAGE cycle. Unnecessary capitalization added for emphasize. She hasn't said otherwise, and without her saying otherwise it is a folly to assume otherwise.

In general I will assume that the person is a perfectly normal person and is average in every way. This is of course not the case for everyone, or anyone for that matter, but, unless the pertinent details are provided, we can't assume that they aren't normal and average. It is a safe and statistically sound assumption to make.

Suggesting that she her cycle is different from the norm also suggest a series of possibly serious medical conditions. This is silly to suggest because all it will do is worry the person when there is nothing wrong.

Also, low is a very objective term. Low can mean 40% or it could mean 0.01%. There is a vast difference between the numbers. Neither of those numbers is none, but one is not very close to none at all, but both are low.

What I was trying to get across, and I believe I did so poorly, was that her chances of getting pregnant were minuscule. Given what she has told us, and Occam's Razor for the rest, the chances of her getting pregnant is slight, i.e. less then 1% 19 times out of 20. That was to answer her question.

To cover my : I believe that this was a silly move on her part, and protection should have been used. There is no argument for that. I also wag my finger at her and say: "Naughty girl, you know better. This could get you pregnant. You should use protection next time even with no penetration."

Cheers,
    Craven
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    That being said, the chances are that she has a NORMAL and AVERAGE cycle. Unnecessary capitalization added for emphasize. She hasn't said otherwise, and without her saying otherwise it is a folly to assume otherwise.
    Actually it would be a "folly" to assume she does. The "NORMAL" and "AVERAGE" cycle is not as common as you think.

Come visit me in the L&D department and you'll see where we are coming from.

That said, no one is trying to use scare tactics, but rather the truth. Anytime there is penetration there is a risk for pregnancy. Remember, sperm can live in vaginal fluids for as long as 5 days. So, if the woman were to ovulate on the third day... voila pregnancy!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 06:31 AM
    I agree... there are LOTS of women out there... mostly YOUNG women that assumed that the withdrawl method is birthcontrol. It isn't... and it only takes ONE sperm to get her pregnant. Its like handling a leaking garden hose and expecting to not get wet.

Or having a debate about if its safer to play Russian Roulette with only one cartridge in the chamber rather than two or three.

Many have unexpected and unwanted kids as a result.
    abodh Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Jan 20, 2010, 06:40 AM

But, period time is also considered safe period. So chance to get pregnant is slim to non.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abodh View Post
    But, period time is also considered safe period. So chance to get pregnant is slim to non.
    Not with all women. I've delivered plenty of babies to women who either used the withdrawal method, or had sex on their period.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abodh View Post
    Depending on the woman... no its not. And sperm can survive and remain viable for several days inside her.

Having kids should not be essentually like rolling dice to make your choice. They will be with you for essentually the rest of your natural life. (assuming nothing bad happens).
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Actually it would be a "folly" to assume she does. The "NORMAL" and "AVERAGE" cycle is not as common as you think.
    You're right.

I was wrong.

Cheers,
    Craven
    Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 08:43 AM

Craven--awesome that you looked it up :)

I only know what I know because we've been trying to conceive for 7 years now. Believe me--sitting in a support group of women tracking their menstrual cycles will open your eyes REALLY fast to how UNcommon the normal cycle is :)

Again--cheers on the research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unprotected sex [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend got a little heated yesterday and things went past what we planned. He lost his virginity. It was real quick.. kind of an in out deal.. he was about to bust and realized no condom so he pulled out real quick and put on a condom. I know he didn't burst but I've heard the pull out...

Unprotected sex [ 19 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been going out off and on for a year, I was a virgin when we met however he said he has had around 10 different sexual partners in his lifetime and we didn't start having sex until we had been going out for 10 months, but always with a condom.. the other day we were having...

Period AFTER Unprotected sex. [ 1 Answers ]

If you had unprotected sex, and the boy ejaculated inside you. But your next period still came,is there still a chance you might be pregnant?

Unprotected sex? Or not? [ 13 Answers ]

I have been with the same guy for over a year and a half and we very rarely use a condom. I'm on the contraceptive pill and have been taking 'this' pill for over 3 years. I had a previous partner who I was with for over 5 years we also did not use condoms very often but he always pulled out but my...

Unprotected sex [ 6 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex and I took a very powerful morning afetr pill before. The pharmacy said my period might be late but she couldn't tell how long. Now its more then one month later and I still haven't gotten my period and I 'm afraid to go buy a pregancy test . I duhave no idea what to do ...

View more questions Search