Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristcat27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
    What is the cause of water seeping into my circuit breaker and power outlet?
    I have an upstairs codo that for the first time since I have owned it, it began pouring rain here in Southern California. My circuit breaker is in the master bedroom where one night the power went out entirely. I went to try and switch the circuit breakers back on and the one stating "master" will not stay in the position for on, it goes right to the middle. I then noticed beads of water coming out from the breakers and one single power outlet near the breaker. My wall also in that area looks like its wet. What could be the cause of this? Is it major?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 07:22 PM

It is major, do not touch the panel, call a licensed electrician for your safety. I think you have a roof leak which is allowing water to reach you panel, that main breaker is saving your life.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 08:14 AM
    Question, by "codo" do you mean "Condo"?

If you do, contact your condo association immediately and tell them of both the water and electrical problems.

You may have wall or roof problems. Possibly both.

As stated earlier by ballengerb1, the master breaker is saving both you residence and person from destruction or death.

Do Not Put This Off.
    14u2c Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 04:36 PM

Like instructed 2 times already call a pro.. sounds to me like a leaky weather head though..
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 05:31 PM
    Sorry,14u2c, but I must have missed those comments in this thread.

A defective weatherhead is a fair concern, particularly if the poster has overhead service, which right now is an unknown.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 08:47 PM

I too assume codo meant condo which tells me there is likely an association board and maybe even a management company that needs to get involved. Not a condo owners job to repair common properties. Now if Kristcat comes back and clears things up maybe we'll know more.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 03:52 AM
    Keep in mind, any circuit breaker that gets wet must be replaced, not just dried out. Be sure the electrician that you or the homeowner association is aware of that ,and does replace any breaker that got wet, after the water has been stopped from entering the panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker and outlet/equipment it controls [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a way of finding out which outlets or equipment a circuit breaker controls without turning off the circuit breaker. Is there a tester that you can use to check this out. Thank you.

I have no power on one circuit from the breaker box. [ 1 Answers ]

I have no power on one circuit from the breaker box... I have replaced the breaker, all outlets, switches, and light receptacles on the circuit... all wire junctions seem to be secure... any other ideas??

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

110 outlet stops working, NOT tripping any circuit breaker. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 outlet three feet from a 110 outlet. When I am using a clothes washer on the 110, it goes dead after a while (10-30 minutes). No breaker is tripped. When I turn on the 220 clothes dryer, the 110 washer restarts from where it left off.

GFCI Outlet and Related Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp GFCI outlet that is connected to a 15 amp outside breaker. When using electrical items on the circuit, my outside breaker is tripping without the inside GFCI breakers tripping. I am wondering whether the outside breaker is faulty or should be 20 amps. It doesn't make sense to me...

View more questions Search