Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Divorce in the bible
    I am having trouble finding the answer to this. And I want to know before hand, so I do not make any mistakes.

I am in the middle of a divorce. My Husband cheated on me and was abusive.

I can't find the actual verses in the bible that gives instructions on marriage, divorce and remarriage.

I THINK the bible says, that if a man cheats on his wife, she is free to divorce him, AND marry again.

But I have also found verses that says a woman who is divorced CANNOT marry again.

I need to know if God will allow me to marry again, or if I am to remain celibate.

I am not looking to validate a marriage for myself. I don't have any plans of getting married to anyone right now lol. And if God says I need to stay unmarried and celibate, that's what will happen.

But it is something I need to know for the future. So I don't make any mistakes against god.

Thank you :)

(and I know sometimes these types of topics lie heavy in interpretation, and arguments will happen. But please don't fight :( OK? )
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Hi, jenniepepsi!

One way to find out about the verses, would be to consult the following site.

BibleGateway - Quick search: Divorce

BibleGateway - Quick search: Marriage

I've just used one version of the Bible for the searches.

Now, what you've asked about, is a debatable topic. You'll get a variety of opinions here.

My own opinion, is that since he cheated on you and was also abusive, there should be no problem, in God's eyes, with you divorcing him and getting married again.

A person shouldn't have to put up with abuse of any kind.

I'm sure that others will come along to voice their opinions.

There are no absolutes to this, but just opinions. Some of them will come from some very Biblically educated people.

I'm not sure of your Christian denomination affiliation. Would you please not mind sharing about that here?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks clough.
    I was also thinking, at least in my opinion, that God is NOT the heartless god that some make him out to be. If I accedently got married to the man god did NOT want for me, and divorced, and married the man god DID want for me... would he not forgive the first marriage?
    I just don't think he would be so angry with someone over something like that you know?

Thanks for those sites :)
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 03:17 PM

God does understand the pain and is angry when HIS children backslide into committed adultery. Anything man does in evil to another, he has also done to God by leaving God to follow satan. *adultery (left what is suppose to be their first love above all)

1 Corinthians 11-12 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away [his] wife.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 07:36 PM

What you have first of course is what God would prefer, but knowing man he gave them ways to deal with it. And the allowance to divorce was allowed in the old testement.

Of course the Old testement also tells you to marry your husbands brother if your husband died.

WE as christians today seldon follow the laws and rules given in the OT beyond the 10 commandments, since we are no longer under the law.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    if i accedently got married to the man god did NOT want for me, and divorced, and married the man god DID want for me...would he not forgive the first marriage?
    i just dont think he would be so angry with someone over something like that you know?
    God doesn't dictate or choose whom we marry, and we have no idea what kind of a person we've married until we've lived with that person for a while and have undergone various life situations like money, family, and health problems.

God would be angry if you stayed in a situation in which your daughter, you, and even the man you are married to are diminished in the relationship. Would Ayla thrive in your current marriage? Would you? Would your husband?

God has given us free will, and says He will be with us no matter what. Now He wants you to learn from what has happened and to benefit from those lessons, so that your next marriage (or even just other relationships with people) becomes stronger and more loving.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Very loving and understanding answer, Wondergirl!

What is the name of the cat in your avatar and to whom does it belong, please?

Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Very loving and understanding answer, Wondergirl!

What is the name of the cat in your avatar and to whom does it belong, please?
    Thank you, Clough.

Please read my "signature" to find out about my avatar, Lady Jane Grey. As yet, we haven't brought the two sisters (LJG's daughters) into our house.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    God doesn't dictate or choose whom we marry, and we have no idea what kind of a person we've married until we've lived with that person for a while and have undergone various life situations like money, family, and health problems.

God would be angry if you stayed in a situation in which your daughter, you, and even the man you are married to are diminished in the relationship. Would Ayla thrive in your current marriage? Would you? Would your husband?

God has given us free will, and says He will be with us no matter what. Now He wants you to learn from what has happened and to benefit from those lessons, so that your next marriage (or even just other relationships with people) becomes stronger and more loving.
    That is so true WG! And that makes me feel better about my future. I know you are right. Even if someone DOES make a choice to divorce when God doesn't want that to happen, he ALWAYS loves us... and I agree, he would not want me or my daughter to be with my soon to be ex husband.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 18, 2010, 10:24 PM
    Matthew 5:32 " But I say unto you, That whoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

God hates adultery and , I believe what this says. Gods word is truth.
    God's plan is that two people remain married until death separates
    Them. Let us also remember what Jesus said in Matthew 12:31,
    "All manner of sin is forgiven all men except the blasphemy of Holy Spirit-
    the rejection of Jesus Christ". We have all missed the mark, and we
    Are all sinners. "We All Need A Savior"

My husband and I just celebrated 55 yr. of marriage on Dec 11.

Love and Blessings, Maggie 3
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie 3 View Post
    My husband and I just celebrated 55 yr. of marrage on Dec 11.
    Congratulations!

What would you have done had he slept with other women and regularly beat you?
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Jan 19, 2010, 06:09 AM

Matthew 5:32[/b] But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

When Jesus speaks about her that is divorced He means the woman that her husband rightfully divorced (a woman that committed adultery)and not any divorced woman ,because to God a woman that is divorced for any other reason except adultery is not considered divorced but still remains a wife! Whosoever shall marry a rightfully divorced woman commits adultery!
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 19, 2010, 02:33 PM
    Wondergirl, If it was in the very early years of our marriage, I
    Would probably have left him. But today I would most likely have him committed because he would have to be totally out of his mind.

Maggie 3
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    WE as christians today seldon follow the laws and rules given in the OT beyond the 10 commandments, since we are no longer under the law.
    Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

So I trust that depends on who they following in righteousness.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post

but it is something i need to know for the future. so i dont make any mistakes against god.
    jenniepepsi,

Can I ask if when you were married to this man, if you took a vow before God, and a gathering of witnesses?

The reason I ask is to further discuss what God gives in allowance.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 12:13 AM

jenniepepsi
    Were you married before God in the church?
    What were the vows you both took?
    Answers to those questions may help getting good answers to your request.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    jenniepepsi,

Can I ask if when you were married to this man, if you took a vow before God, and a gathering of witnesses?

The reason I ask is to further discuss what God gives in allowance.
    Yes we were. In a church
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    jenniepepsi
    Were you married before God in the church?
    What were the vows you both took?
    Answers to those questions may help getting good answers to your request.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I don't exactly remember the vows *blush* I know, its something I should remember. But my mind was kind of fuzzy and light headed that day.
    But it was in our church, in Gods name, and by a non denominational Priest.
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 07:26 AM

jenniepepsi

and so you Dad was their to give his permission?

References:
    These are the civil enactment known as statutes that God gives as HIS will to be done.

Numbers 30:3-4 If a woman also vow a vow unto the LORD, and bind herself by a bond, being in her father's house in her youth; And her father hear her vow, and her bond wherewith she hath bound her soul, and her father shall hold his peace at her: then all her vows shall stand, and every bond wherewith she hath bound her soul shall stand.

Numbers 30:5 But if her father disallow her in the day that he heareth; not any of her vows, or of her bonds wherewith she hath bound her soul, shall stand: and the LORD shall forgive her, because her father disallowed her.

Mosaic Law which is the body of prophetic teaching that is the schoolmaster. (Due 23:21-22)
    Many remain with the schoolmaster until they confess the begotten Son of God and then are led by the Holy Spirit. Only you know what your heart of belief knew the day you were married. God searches the heart of each of us. God knows the failed lust of the flesh body.

We have forgiveness in the body and blood of Christ, and are called to follow in HIS light of righteousness, led by the Holy Spirit. In confessed belief of One Lord Jesus Christ and One Baptism of the Holy Spirit, you can be set free from the bondage of sin and walk in the spirit upon repenting. It is like Christ said you are forgiven, sin no more! Then remain stedfast in following Christ, by the lead of the Holy Spirit.

God grace be with you
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie 3 View Post
    If it was in the very early years of our marriage, I would probably have left him.
    That's where Jenniepepsi is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Filing 4 divorce but reconcile then divorce @ a later time - dividing the property [ 18 Answers ]

I never heard of this before but my friend filed for divorce in 89 but reconciled a few months later. Flash forward 20 yrs & she decides to divorce him again. She went back for the kids & tried to make it work. However, when she went 4 this divorce she was told that they could divide the property...

Before the Bible. [ 29 Answers ]

Here is another thought provoking question about the Bible or lack there-of. I believe the Bible was written 300 years A.D. Let's take all the millions of people that walked the Earth before the Bible with all it's rules were even known to anyone. How did they know what rules to follow? Did they...

What does the bible REALLY say about divorce? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a Christian young lady, and a mother of three children. I try to live my life right as best I can and maintain a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. At this particular time in my life, I am standing at a crossroads, unsure of which way to turn. I have been in an abusive marriage for 10...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

View more questions Search