Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    santiagoed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Electrical outlet keeps tripping IN THE GARAGE IF SOMETHING IS PLUGGED INTO IT OR NOT
    My electrical outlet in the garage keeps tripping whether something is plugged into it or not. What do I need to do?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 07:06 AM

An electrician will have to open the boxes and check voltages and look for a short.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 07:56 AM

Don't post the same question again, especially when you have received an answer.

What is tripping? Circuit breaker? GFI outlet?
    santiagoed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 08:09 AM

GFI Outlet
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 08:34 AM

If the GFI is tripping with nothing plugged in, the voltage may be the issue, or the device may be defective. Try replacing the GFI, and check that there is 120 volts to it while you have the wires exposed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 12:09 PM

Also, you may want to unplug everything in the Garage and see if it resets, newer GFI's will not reset if no power is feeding them.
    14u2c Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 04:38 PM

Dead short or bad gfi..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have current in outlet but lights plugged in to it won't go on? [ 3 Answers ]

There is current coming to the outlet however lights plugged in to it won't come on?

GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a GFCI outlet that keeps trippping. We've been in this house for years and have never had this problem. We don't have any additional appliances/lighting etc. running on this circuit or anywhere in the house for that matter. It keeps tripping after reset; sometimes immediately sometimes...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Outlet next to air condituioner hot with nothing plugged into it [ 2 Answers ]

An outlet on the wall next to where my air conditioner is plugged into is hot to the touch. I have nothing plugged into this outlet. Why would this happen. It only happens when the air conditoner is running.

View more questions Search