Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jk0484 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 02:27 PM
    We have a gurgaling sound in the tub drain when we flush the toilet,and a strong odor
    We have a gurgaling sound coming from the bath tub drain when we flush the toilet,and there is a strong sewer smell coming from the tub drain also. Could it be that the trap is clogged? I put drain-o down the drain but nothing happened. Thank you
    Kris
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Jan 8, 2010, 08:58 PM

Hi jk, sounds like you may have a partially plugged drain, or a venting problem. Did this just start happening? If it just started recently then I would rooter out the drainlines, it may be your main sewerline is starting to plug up. Goodluck ----zeke----
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jk0484 View Post
    we have a gurgaling sound comming from the bath tub drain when we flush the toilet,and there is a strong sewer smell comming from the tub drain also. could it be that the trap is clogged? I put drain-o down the drain but nothing happened. thank you
    Kris
    Hey Kris,
    This isn't a drainage blockage so enough with the Draino. A gurgle indicates a blocked vent. The sound you hear is the toilet venting through the tub trap. The suction also lowers the tubs trap seal so sewer gas escapes and this is what you smell.
    The solution would be to snake the lavatory vent. Put out enough snake to reach the base and 20 feet more. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 02:31 PM

Agree with Tom, rod your vent stack. Hope its safe to get on your roof with a sewer rodder. Run enough snake to reach roof to basement plus 20'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flush causes bubbling noise in tub [ 12 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, I hear bubbling in the tub drain. No water comes up the tub drain, but I hear bubbling. WHAT IS THIS?? Could this predict a future backup or something? ;)

Flush toilet smelly tub drain! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! OK I will try to sum this up... 4 BR 2 BA house about 17 years old... please remember we live in AL... :rolleyes:... The previous owner had a 750 gallon fuel tank installed as a septic tank... We had lived here about 7 months and we started having the toilet in our master BR...

Toilet makes loud vibrating sound after flush [ 2 Answers ]

After flushing my bathroom toilet, it produces a loud vibrating sound when the tank is almost filled. I googled the key words and found one of your pages about the problem. The question was made by HBLISS on Aug.25, 2008. On the page there are two images, and my toilet basically matches the...

Toilet Drain Pipe overflows when I flush or drain tub.why? [ 2 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet or drain the tub in my upstairs bathroom, the water overflows from the toilet drain pipe. I snaked this drain after removing the toilet, but the water is still backed up to near the top of the drain pipe. It will slowly drain, but takes hours to clear the drain. Please...

Laundy tub gurgle with toilet flush [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, my problem is when the toilet is flushed there is a gurgle heard from the basement laundry tub about 5 or so seconds after the flush is started. This was happening intermittently for a few months, but now it is constant. There is also water splashing from the drain in the laundry tub. ...

View more questions Search