Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    essen6 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
    My fiancé has postponed our wedding for further studies.. should I wait?
    Multiple threads merged.

Please keep all questions regarding the same issue in the same thread.

I am 34 and my fiancé 23, she is way beyond her years in maturity. We got engaged in December and decided to get married in June the following year. When we met she told me that she still has to complete her Masters which is a 2 year program in another country where it will not be possible for me to go but she still wants to marry me. She recently went on a 10 day vacation with her friends and on her return she said she wants to get married after her masters is complete. Why the u-turn? Shall I wait (2 years) because I know and believe she loves me but feel as if I'll be left hanging. Please help me... She is the one who wanted to get married and is now wants to postpone it for another 2 years due to her not being able to commit to both me and her studies...
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Jan 7, 2010, 11:43 PM

Well, since it takes two to get married and one of you wants to postpone it, then that is as far as it can go. There is a lot that can happen in two years and it would be very difficult to try and continue in a relationship if you can't even see her.

Let her go and if it is meant to be, you can pick up where you left off later... but don't wait around for her. There are way too may unforeseen circumstances.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 12:59 AM
    You should discuss it with her and find out what her real reasons are. Communicate,that's a major part of a healthy relationship.
    Nobody but her can tell you why she's changed her mind.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:03 AM

If you love her enough you will wait.
    She has a valid point.Getting a Masters is a full time job and if she wants to dedicate herself to you as a wife and feels she can not do both,then you must respect her decision.
    If you feel there is more to her decision ,than you need to tell her your fears or concerns.
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Jan 8, 2010, 02:12 AM

I won't wait. She is going to another country, for 2 years. Humanity has proven time and time again no one can be faithful so far apart for that long.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder... of someone else.
    Its not advise. Just the ugly truth.
    teastalk Posts: 299, Reputation: 21

Jan 8, 2010, 02:57 AM

Just wait it out and see what happens. If it was meant to be, then she will stay faithful. After so much time, even you will feel more reassured about the relationship. If she wanders, then perhaps she would simply have wandered during the actual marriage itself; something even worse! Besides, what's the rush? It's better to get to know each other more and spend more time growing as individuals before getting married.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 03:30 AM
    Why don't you go with her?

New start,new life...

Even when your married she's not going to put her masters on a shelf to gather dust,she's going to use it and still be busy.

I do see where she is coming from,but offer another option to her,she what she says.

Edit: I did read your post and noticed you said it was not possible to go with her... nothing is impossible,it just takes a little brain power and perserverance to achieve the impossible.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 06:55 AM

That you knew she wanted to pursue/finish her masters when you met her. She is only doing what she said she would do. In her mind, that probably hasn't changed. It was something she set out to do no matter what (or who) comes along.

That being said, she DID agree to marry you before she told you that she wanted to finish her degree.

I think communication is what is needed here. Communication and a whole lot of trust. Long distance relationships can work. They've worked before for numerous couples and will work again for you two if you're both committed to the relationship.

You two must decide if you're willing to wait for it. You need to talk about everything; frequency of visits, communicating, etc.

I do wish you luck. You're NOT in a doomed relationship; all it takes is a little bit of work.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Putting your life on hold is definitely a tough choice.

The fact that you came onto this site means that you're unsure of what to do next. It seems to me that you need some re-assurance from her that she won't postpone the wedding a second time and that she will in fact marry you in two years.

Your best bet would be to discuss the situation with her. Long distance relationships are tough as you are putting your lives on hold for one another. So it takes extra effort to constantly re-assure your feelings for one another.

Make sure that you're both on the same page. Don't leave anything hanging. Lay it all out of the table with each other and find a mutual understanding.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 10:30 AM

No matter whether you marry before or after she goes to study, you are going to need to be able to communicate. LDRs are built or destroyed by ineffective communication. If you can't discuss this with her while she is face-to-face with you, then you aren't going to be able to handle long distance communications where it is easier to have misunderstandings due to a poor word choice or lack of physical cues (smile, laughter, frowns, hunched shoulders, etc.)

Some things to keep in mind:

It sounds like she may have had a dose of reality while talking to her friends about wedding/school plans. She may have realized that she can't do everything at once which is what it seems she may have been trying to plan.

When does the program start (or has it already)? Would she be attempting to study, learn a new culture, and plan a wedding as well as keep up with a long distance relationship? Then face trying to be a long distance wife with studying?

Jan 11, 2010, 09:55 PM

Thank you all for your feedback.. we've been communicating since I last asked my initial question on this site... her love for me is there but the whole marraige/engagement/commitment is freaking her out.. her program starts in September this year... do I stick it out? Because I would like to spend the rest of my life with this one...

Jan 11, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Fear of comittment/marraige/future is freaking her out... what do I do?I till love her
    Confusion
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 10:32 PM

Of course you stick it out , she's reassured you that her love for you is still there.

Your still engaged so what's the rush , getting married when your BOTH ready is far more healthy.

By trying to force her to do something before she is ready may just throw some doubts in her mind. Show her you truly love her by respecting her wishes.
    broken_ heart Posts: 201, Reputation: 22

Jan 12, 2010, 03:39 AM

I think you need to share more about your problem.

Jan 21, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Why cant I forget her
    My ex fiancé returned from a vacation with friends after which she broke the news to me "i can't marry you when we planned". She is 23 and I 34. She is a very independent and ambitious person and had told me prior to the engagement that she would need to complete her masters in another country to which I had no issues and was very supportive. After her trip she said she can't get married, then she didn't have an answer to "do even want to stay engaged?"... the I felt she didn't even want to be committed to me/or just not wanting to be in 'a' commitment. She was then comfortable with us exchanging the rings and being BF/GF (quite abnormal) so the cloud of 'committment' doesn't loom over her. After all this I had to call it off due to the indeciveness on her part. The problem now is that I know I've been betrayed but can't get over her... she tells me that she still loves me and I know that but is very confused... btw the engagement and marriage were her ideas... so I wait indefinitely because I think she's making a mistake?
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
    No you don't wait at all,if she is now your ex,and can't make up her mind,you move on with your life.

You will-in reply to your question-forget her,it takes time,as healing from a breakup does.

You keep busy and start leading your own life.

No point prolonging the confusion by thinking she will change her mind.
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 12:31 AM

Amicon is right. Something seems fishy. Take care of yourself and don't be too hard on yourself over this situation. There is quite an age gap and she is still growing up. You will find someone better suited for you in time after you move on from this situation which is no longer any good for you. Good luck and workout and stay positive.
    jre14 Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Jan 22, 2010, 01:10 AM

Don't you hate it when it seems like the girl is pushing for commitment only to see that she calls it off. What the fu*k is that?

I'm in the same situation, man.

Ps. Why can't I post w"t"f?
    jayv Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2010, 01:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amicon View Post
    No you dont wait at all,if she is now your ex,and can't make up her mind,you move on with your life.

You will-in reply to your question-forget her,it takes time,as healing from a breakup does.

You keep busy and start leading your own life.

No point prolonging the confusion by thinking she will change her mind.
    The reason you can't forget her is because you don't allow it,, you want to move on but you don't let the good and nice memorie out.. and that's the biggest step.. but if she did it, so can you... so stand up and make new things so they can become your new momories
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 22, 2010, 01:34 AM

It's seriously hard to switch gears like that. To go from loving someone to... not. All you can tell yourself... is that if she is willing to walk away... let her. You need someone who is certain of their love for you and is willing to stand by their commitment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fiancŽ called off the wedding just the day before the Wedding [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I dated my Ex-( not used to say that yet) Fiancé for about 3 years. He always had issue with making decisions( any) and commitment( something in his childhood) but he knew clearly that I wanted marriage. When I brought up the topic, he freaked out and we had a lot of arguments over it as I...

How long to wait to plan wedding after engagement [ 5 Answers ]

I just got engaged on the 24th and I have been looking at dresses in the magazines and little things like that. I said something to my fiancé and he says that it is a little too early to start planning this stuff. He says we need time for this engagement and what it means to sink in. If it didn't...

Not sure how to deal with my ex-fiance walking out on me 3 months before the wedding [ 177 Answers ]

Hi, I need some help and advice. Me and my finace were to be married in 3 months time, we have been together for almost 9 years... everything was going well.. like any relationship we have had our ups and downs... but generally I would say ioverall the 9 years have been good years... we were saving...

Wedding attire for me and my fianc? [ 1 Answers ]

I need advice on wedding attire for me and my fiancé. I am 5'8, slender and blonde. He is 5'7, stocky and red-headed. Will wearing a white tuxedo on him make him look too chunky? What style of dress can I wear that won't make me look so tall next to him? What about shoes for me? We are in our...

View more questions Search