Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jan 7, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Toilet
    We have a cimmaron toilet (low water fast flush) It has been clogging too often. There are two people in the family who are "culprits." Even so, the toilet should flush waste. We use a plunger and it most usually works. However, we recently had a plumber auger it and auger it and finally clear it up. What is causing this? Shouldn't people be able to use their toilet without fear of clogging it up?? It is not the main line as all drains empty beautifully.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 06:25 PM

Some toilets just flush better than others. Has the toilet been an issue since you had the plumber in? And when you say there are two culprits, is that a way of nicely saying they have some huge turds, and or use too much toilet paper, or are the culprits very young children that may have dropped a mini barbie down the toilet?lol. Let us know more about this and we will do our best to give accurate advice.

Jan 7, 2010, 06:43 PM

No the culprits are adults. No kids in the house, only young adults. Since the plumber, it clogged once and using the plunger cleared it just fine. I don't believe toilet paper is an issue; both say they are ultra conservative. Not to be indelicate, couldn't large hard poops just clog the thing? If so, what is a solution. Can't seek public toilets every day or so. Thanks for listening.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 06:54 PM

Honestly, I'm not familiar with cimmaron toilets, so it hard for me to say that its just design of the toilet.

I have installed standards toilets and had complaints about large bowel movements constantly clogging the toilet. The only fix we could come up with was replacing the toilet with a better toilet. Im really not sure what direction to point you in at this time. Other than keep a plunger handy, or talk to a plumbing company that can recommend a toilet that will flush just about anything. Most of the newer toilets have a decent flush, but I will say that ToTo brand toilets flush quite a bit better with the same volume of water. Wish I could give better advice, but sometimes the logs are just to big for the toilet.

Jan 7, 2010, 06:58 PM

Just as I was thinking, unfortunately for the two who are "culprits" In your opinion, would a two flush "dump" be an answer? Flush midway, then flush at the end. No kidding, I am fairly desperate for answers...
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 07:13 PM

I'm hoping that one of the other pros here will jump in and give some advice. Its bedtime for me.. But, once the toilet is flushed, cloggs, then another flush will only most likely over flow the bowl. You may have a problem with incorrect water level setting in the toilet TANK, not allowing enough water to flush the toilet properly. Like I said, I'm really not familiar with cimmaron toilets, so I hope one of the other folks here can help you diagnose your problem. Take care. Ill think on this over night and hope I have some productive dreams to help you solve this problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 07:53 PM

I have not run into any brand of toilet that was so poorly designed that it could not flush even the worst "culprit's " waste. A Cimmaron is a Kohler toilet and should be no problem, they are an except brand of toilet. Have a plumber or a "culprit" remove the toilet and rod the closet bend with a sewer rodder reaching at least 25'

Jan 7, 2010, 08:14 PM

Ballenger1: I have read on line people having similar problems. The guy who came to auger out the pot told me the same as you: the cimmaron should be able to take care of things. Why would the toilet clog for one person (not every time, but frequently) and not at all for others if there was a problem down the bend? Do you think I must remove the pot and have it augered?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 8, 2010, 07:49 AM

Please describe how the toilet flushes.
    Does it fill up, swirl around and slowly go down without taking the solids with it or does it back up and overflow. More details please. Tom

Jan 8, 2010, 08:38 AM

Right now it has a good siphon, flushing real well. When it is going to clog, it starts its flush action but the water will go down more slowly and sometimes burp, leaving little water in the bowl. Sometimes the water level comes back to normal in the bowl and you don't know its clogged till you try and flush it. Luckily it has never overflowed onto the floor. I just get out the plunger and hope for the best. Did I say I had a plumber come and get out a very stubborn clog? He was ready to fool around with my stack, but I insisted it was at the bowl level. Sure enough, after a couple augers, the water (umm... turned colors) and he was able to flush it all down. I sure do appreciate this troubleshooting as it has me very miffed and kind of mad.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I have not run into any brand of toilet that was so poorly designed that it could not flush even the worst "culprit's " waste. A Cimmaron is a Kohler toilet and should be no problem, they are an except brand of toilet. Have a plumber or a "culprit" remove the toilet and rod the closet bend with a sewer rodder reaching at least 25'
    You are correct Bob. I didn't know cimmaron was a kohler, but since it is indeed a kohler, it should be a very good flushing toilet. I was thinking back to when the 1.6 gal toilets first became mandatory, and a couple of the companys didn't have the design down quite right, cuasing poor flushing of large fecis. Id name some names, but they have all gotten it figured out over the years, and now all newer toilets that we deal with work just great.

Really does sounds like a partial blockage in the toilet drain line, these can cuase unussual flushing(will flush fine sometimes and not so good other times. The lowering of the bowl water level makes me think you may have a double whammy type of problem. The burp you are seeing is an indication of a plugged line, the lowering of water level in bowl is an indication of a plugged vent. Go flush the toilet until it won't flush anymore, then when its backed up, run water in the bathroom sink and shower and see if you see any bubbling in the toilet,

Jan 8, 2010, 08:45 PM

How could it be the vent if everything else is just fine? I have noticed when I hold the handle down an extra second or two it flushes very well, excellent siphon. I guess I am trying to limit the problem to the toilet itself. That toilet has been flushed many many times in the past week and no problem. It's just at times big doodoos seem to plug it up. Couldn't the toilet itself meet its match at times"?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 09:00 PM

Helen I think you picked the right thing when you mentioned the big doodoos, it is one of the mose common calls I get for unstopping a commode.

For a cure to the problem I recommend a stool softerner, one that I have heard that works is "Miralax"

Jan 8, 2010, 09:59 PM

Thank you... Nobody wants to admit they themselves, their natural actions clog a toilet. My sons use this toilet and no problems. We have a toilet in our partially finished basement that works just fine. That's why I thought someone needs to tell me it is big doodoos--my instinct was this, even though I have a Kohler toilet. It's only 1.7 gallon flush. It may be sold as a never clog toilet, but mine does clog.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2010, 06:53 AM

I have noticed when I hold the handle down an extra second or two it flushes very well,
    Check the water level in the tank. It should be 3/8ths to 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube.
    Too little water and you get a weak flush. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Bubling toilet, washing machine running, water coming out of toilet and outside pipe. [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my toilet has started bubling. The washing machine was running. I happened to noticed that the toilet in my spare bathroom had water coming out from under the toilet. The tub beside it looks as of at one point dirty water had possibly backed up in it (I don't use the tub, I could...

Toilet flange bolts make toilet sit at wrong angle [ 2 Answers ]

Previous owners put a bathroom in the rec room. When they installed the toilet flange (to the sewer) it was not aligned with the wall. The toilet sits at a crooked angle, not aligned to the wall. After removing the toilet - the flange that holds the toilet bolt-downs needs to be rotated so...

Looking for good Advise on replacing toilet flange on concrete slab to install toilet [ 26 Answers ]

To whom it may concern: I got a problem with a toilet that has been rocking and twisting for quite some time until it started leaking and what now I pull up the toilet to find out that the flange is broken on one side. I tried that flange plate from home depo but it won't work because the slab is...

Need to replace toilet, rough-in 20" from the wall, toilet has four mounting holes [ 3 Answers ]

In a nutshell, we need to replace our existing toilet. However, the toilet has a rough-in of about 20"+ to the closet flange and the toilet has four mounting holes on the base. The toilet is connected to the closet flange via the front two holes (and nothing in the back two holes). I bought the...

View more questions Search