Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kb529642 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Consequences of shoplifting
    Hi, I am 21 and live in TN.
    I got caught shoplifting yesterday, it was the first time I've ever done anything like this and I have no reason, excuse or explanation. So, I'm not even trying to get sympathy, I was wrong and fully aware. I have learned a very serious and severe lesson. Which at my age, you'd think I'd know better, and I did. As soon, as I did it... I was remorseful and regretted it, and I made a mistake.

Anyhow, the Loss Prevention approached me as I was exiting the store, asked me to follow him, which I did. I returned the merchandise and the police were called. I was banned from the store and signed a paper saying so. I gave all my information to the officer. The officer was a very kind man and he gave me a ticket basically all it said was "Shoplifting- 3 items with a cost of $100" And he told me my court date was February 1st, 2010 in General Sessions and not Criminal Court. So, I'm wondering what I should expect at court. It was my first offense, it was $100 cost, not a penny more. I was not arrested. And, the officer said I would likely get fined and 6 months probation and possibly 5 days in jail. I expected these things but not the jail time, that is my concern. Any advice or knowledge of this situation? What are the chances of the jail time? I work full time and I am also a full time student. If I go to jail I will be expelled from school and lose my job...

Thank you
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Time to get an attorney.
    cheetah160 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 11:16 AM

Your first court appearance will be when you enter a plea of guilt or not. Plea not guilty and they will set furture court dates. Then you need to contact an attorney and try to work out a plea bargain. A first offense for theft shouldn't land you in jail. As long as you show up to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Consequences of first offense shoplifting [ 3 Answers ]

Wht are the consequences of first offense shoplifting?

Consequences of Shoplifting [ 3 Answers ]

What are the consequences of shoplifting?

Shoplifting consequences [ 3 Answers ]

I shoplifted $ 283 of merchandise from Kohl's last night. Got caught. I have acourt date tomorrow morning. Am scared. Don't know whether to plead guilty or not. What should I do?

What most likely will be the consequences [ 1 Answers ]

:( My boyfriend has to attend court this morning for having $1500 worth of counterfeit drugs. He has had 8 previous dropped cases, but they are not all drug charges. Five are traffic violations, 2 drug andf one for paranelia, how much time do you think he may receive, or what do you think his...

View more questions Search