Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moon80 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Breaking up with a boyfriend who has left you with debt
    I been with him going into 3 years, I am not working at the moment but all the bills are under my name,all this is what he had to pay off but I don't think that will happen now. I have good credit and now I am scared that this will eventually mess it up for me. I think this is the only think keeping me from leaving and I think he knows that. I am feeling so low at the moment.
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Jan 5, 2010, 08:04 PM

What's the question?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 08:12 PM

Why did you get the debt in your name, what tpe of debt is it, what was it for, and how much is it

Jan 5, 2010, 08:17 PM

Yes, what type of bills are you talking about? Household bills like electric, gas, that sort of thing?

Jan 5, 2010, 08:19 PM
    The reason why ( the breakup) its his 12 year old son. Whom I have done allot for and within the past few months until he began visiting his mother on the weekends and was coming back with a whole negative attitude, he has bad bad grades and very disrespectful to me to the point where his father grounded him and he called the cops on us saying we where hitting him when we never did.he lies about 30 times a day to the point where the social worker said he will begin counceling. This is just a small portion of all this,when do I say enough is enough.

A dirt bike for $5,000. Credits cards cell phone, we did it all because he has bad credit and I began building mine up. I'm just happy I got denied for my engagement ring that was going to be another $5,000
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2010, 08:23 PM

Protect your credit and your name, it could be a lifelong lesson you are learning. Time to think about Small Claims, depending on the type of debt, but in the end, it's you with the most to lose and continuing to stay may increase that debt.

Accept some responsibility also, he could not use your credit if you were not allowing him to.

Jan 5, 2010, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moon80 View Post
    the reason why ( the breakup) its his 12 year old son. whom i have done allot for and withing the past few months until he began visiting his mother on the weekends and was coming back with a whole negative attitude, he has bad bad grades and very disrespectful to me to the point where his father grounded him and he called the cops on us saying we where hitting him when we never did.he lies about 30 times a day to the point where the social worker said he will begin counceling. this is just a small portion of all this,when do i say enough is enough.
    Im really not sure how to answer your question. Are you asking if you should leave him? Is that what you are trying to decide right now?

Jan 6, 2010, 02:57 AM
    I need advice.I just feel so lost

I do love him but what should I do.do I stay or call it quits.and the parrt of my credit s@ares me too

The credits cards he did online.he told it would help my credit and I lovenly stupidly believed anddid not question him.he knws my social by heart.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 03:32 AM
    First seek legal advice-I'm not qualified to tell you how that works where you live. Secondly,he sounds like a jerk,leave him.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 07:50 AM

So the only reason you desire to stay is to protect your credit?

Doesn't sound to me like your lost, does that sound like a reason people stay together?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:11 AM

Well as having first hand experience with credit, if it's in your name, you own it. It's the sad reality. My fiance's ex took out credit cards in her name and then didn't pay them, the credit companies came after her. You would have to prove he did them, which is hard. The dirt bike, all he has to say is that it was a gift from you.

Work on paying off the debt and take it as a lesson learned. We can't tell you what to do, but if I were in that situation, I'd leave because it doesn't seem he has your best intentions at heart

Jan 6, 2010, 08:33 AM

Thank you all very much. I just don't know why I'm so scared to leave bottom line I'm not happy.and I know what it is I need to do now.thank you all.

Jan 6, 2010, 01:54 PM

Thank u all, thanks with all my heart
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 01:57 PM

I hope it works out for you-take good care of yourself and good luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 08:06 PM

Leave first, and consult a lawyer so you know what your rights are and what to expect. The burden of proof in small claims court is a lot more liberal than a regular court, and though you cannot get every penny back, half would surely help, since you did go along willingly with him.

Get the facts, and you may be pleasantly surprised, at your legal options.

Mar 19, 2010, 11:31 PM

Hi everyone.its march and I some how did it,I left. I still don't know how but I got my stuff and daughter and left., I am still in debt by him but I just could not stay his abuse mentally and emotionally got worse and its been sometime that he has put his hands on me put I knew it was coming again.. I just wanted to say to all you left your comments thank you so much,, I always kept it in my head what you all wrote to me,, I am scared, I am not going to lie, but I know I didn't deserve this for me or my little girl to grow up in a unhappy toxic home BTW it is not his daughter in case you where wondering.

I could write a book about the past 3 yrs but I am ready for this new chapter in my life... but its been hard, a lot of mix emotions I been having sadness missing him wondering if I did the right thing when I know I did, being scared off all the credit debt he left me with.. so please it will be nice to come back and find some words of encouragement, trust me there is no way I will go back to him and its not like he has even tried to come back, lol
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2010, 11:37 PM

Well done and all the best of luck to you and your daughter.
    You'll be fine-you are a strong woman.

Mar 19, 2010, 11:56 PM
    I left him so why am I so sad
    Threads merged
    I just broke up and moved out from my boyfriend of 3 yrs but he was no good, his family was all negative his son was a troubled child and he emotionally mentally and physically abused me so why am I missing him so much and wondering if I did the right thing by leaving I know its stupid and I will never go back to him but why is my question for these feelings that are driving me nuts.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2010, 12:22 AM

You're mourning the death of your relationship,which is normal-even though yours was a very unhappy one.

It takes time to heal from a breakup,so allow yourself time and be patient with yourself.

Your ex was abusive,so I think you are probably feeling a lot of anger towards him.

That's normal too.

Do things that make you feel good,be around people who care for you and keep moving forward.
    myagony1234 Posts: 101, Reputation: 43

Mar 20, 2010, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moon80 View Post
    i just broke up and moved out from my boyfriend of 3 yrs but he was no good, his family was all negative his son was a troubled child and he emotionally mentally and physically abused me so why am i missing him so much and wondering if i did the right thing by leaving i know its stupid and i will never go back to him but why is my question for these feelings that are driving me nuts.
    I am glad you did right thing. Please stick with your decision, and move on.
    It is very normal, and breakup is not easy for anyone. You are valuable, lonely and sad now, and need some comfort. When we breakup, the feeling does not die at the moment we breakup. It takes time to heal, and this confusing feeling will fade away as time goes by.
    Be strong, go out for walk, meet up some friends, and treat yourself good. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me and my boyfriend argue a lot for stupidities , will we last ? [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend always argue . If is not for one thing its for another . We've been together for 1 year and we love each other very much . We've gone through so much and yet we still together. But he has anger issues and I take a lot of it when we argue . We fight at least every two days . ...

Process server at my house left without leaving anything [ 8 Answers ]

Help I have beenaway on vacation and I come back and a process server came to my house my stepson told him I wasn't in and he left, and I have no idea what this is about, how do I find out if there is a court date, I live in Florida. Thank you

My boyfriend was out of work and has left me [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my boyfriend was out of work when I started a relationship with him, I paid of his debts, fines, supplied him with food, bought his clothes got him his passport, driving license, paid his mobile phone etc..,. got him his well paid job, now basically he has left me £6000 in debt,. he turned...

I fight a lot with my boyfriend, its killing me. [ 2 Answers ]

I always fight. Its always me. I feel so ty about myself. He was my best friend for 6 years,and we have been going out for a year and a half now. Its killing me to know that I'm the cause of the fight. I get hurt quick, I get jealous to the extrem. I think I'm so ugly all the time. I always think...

Old dog poops and pees a lot a lot a lot [ 4 Answers ]

I just rescued a very old dalmatian from my neighbors she has tumors all over Her body and she is very thin . I started her on good food. I feed her a cup in a half a day And water is always available. She poops so much 5 times a day? I keep my dogs in the sun room at night when we get up there...

View more questions Search