Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 02:30 PM
    German Shepherd always scratches himself!
    My friend has a large purebred German shepherd who seems to constantly have some sort of itch! The house has been exterminated within an inch of its life and he still scratches. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and what to do about it will be hugely appreciated.:)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2010, 02:33 PM

He is probably allergic to something, so that it's internal, not external. Please tell your friend to take the poor dog to a vet.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 02:58 PM

Hello:

If he EVER goes outside, he's probably got fleas.. Exterminating the house doesn't do it. You need to exterminate the dog.

excon
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 03:01 PM

Done that too! Used K9 Advantage. Still he scratches.
    leuk8142 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sacramento View Post
    My friend has a large purebred German shepherd who seems to constantly have some sort of itch! The house has been exterminated within an inch of its life and he still scratches. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and what to do about it will be hugely appreciated.:)

My 3yr. Old German Shepherd stays outside and sleeps in the garage and doesn't scratch, I have seen him scratch maybe twice in a month.
    I also think may have an allergy; It could be what he is eating.
    I feed my dog Pro Plan (lamb & rice); I get it at Petsmart because they have the best deal for the 32lb bag. Try switching foods before you spend $500 at the vet for lab work, unless he is scratching sores on himself, by all means have him checked out, especially if he has a foul odor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to calm my German Shepherd down! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have 2 dogs one of which is 8 and a german shepherd he is a full pedigree and every time a member of my family attempts to leave the house he goes crazy to the extent of biting. I have had my dog since he was 6 weeks old and he was castrated last year which did make a huge...

Help something is wrong with my German Shepherd [ 2 Answers ]

Samathia is my baby. I bought her from a VERY bad breeder, I know that is a lot of the problem. She will be 2 years old in May. She can't get on my bed without crying. Her hind legs hardly work. I know this can be caused by hip dysplasia(?) I give her gluclose, but it doesn't seem to work....

Pregnant german shepherd [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there my nine year old german shepherd is 50 days into her pregnancy and she appears to keep wetting herself she is drinking a lot as well I don't think she realises she is doing it as she normally is a very clean dog I've had her since she was three months old is this a normal thing in...

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German Shepherd [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend...

View more questions Search